Security in DR

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Pay these guys no mind. For me, I would not be alive and posting if I did not have a gun one night. So let them run, duck, and hide. I just defend myself.............

After that day there were not even one night that I have slept well when in the D.R. so we sold our place and that's it. Now we traveled all over the world

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Forgive me for I am still new here and have just returned from my first 2 week trip to the DR. Avery interesting place. My question is what freedoms as an expat do you enjoy in the DR that are denied you in Europe, Canada or the US.s

Buying drugs that really do not need a prescription in any pharmacy as to having to go pay a Dr. to write a scrip. Drinking a cold beer in front of your house or on any beach. (In NY no alcohol on beaches). Driving without five dozen radar traps, $300 speeding tickets, dogs searching your car after a traffic stop, car insurance rates raising after the $300 ticket.

I could go on and on but if you lived here for two years or more you would have trouble living where you came from.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
I think its obvious most of you dont live here. If you do find one of your policia neighbors. Ask them how to own and carry a gun legally. Having said that, the best thing you can do is know your neighbors. If you have security where you live bring them juice, food or whatever when you seem them out. I walk the barrios where my familia lives anytime i want. I drink with them i play dominos with them and i take turns buying the cervezas. But know that dominicans like to talk crap. And the proper response is to talk crap back. Learn the language. In the states someone talks crap next thing you know someone is fighting or pulling a knife or a gun. On more than one ocassion i have the crap talkers friends die risa at the crap talker, only to have the perp come back and say amigos. Mi play. Criminals are criminals. And should be dealt with accordingly. Mostly the people are very friendly. Always have enough money to give a thief but never enough to fight to the death over. Use your brain. But really i have survived south Dallas, south Chicago, south Atlanta and most of the large metro areas of the US. Personally i think the US is much more violent. Dont be places you shouldnt be and dont do things you shouldnt do. But i do think Santo Domingo is safer than any of the aforementioned cities and i refuse to live scared.

and by

Personally you believe the U.S is more violent, wow that's something new. If you ask most Americans the #1 thing on there minds the answer would be the ECONOMY, You ask the same question to a Dominican that answer would be CRIME. And all the cities you mentioned above can not compare with a Santos Domingo ghetto barrio.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Personally you believe the U.S is more violent, wow that's something new. If you ask most Americans the #1 thing on there minds the answer would be the ECONOMY, You ask the same question to a Dominican that answer would be CRIME. And all the cities you mentioned above can not compare with a Santos Domingo ghetto barrio.

Uh. I watch the news in the dr. I see why crime would be on dominicans minds more than the economy. Nothing like seeing bloody bodies and videos of the actual murder. You dont see that in the states. However Chicago is hands down more violent than santo domingo. And dominicans dont worry about the economy as much because they dont believe it will ever get better for them.
You are right about the barrios not comparing to the US. Dominicans will offer you coffee or a cerveza. American slums have government assistance, big screen tvs, cable or satellite, free phones food stamps etc etc. And yet the slum and or trailer park residents still demand more from the govt. But i digress.

The topic was about security in the dr not what americans or dominicans think is the most pressing issue of the day.

But since you brought it up, i think the most important issue for americans today is the over reaching power of the IRS.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
Uh. I watch the news in the dr. I see why crime would be on dominicans minds more than the economy. Nothing like seeing bloody bodies and videos of the actual murder. You dont see that in the states. However Chicago is hands down more violent than santo domingo. And dominicans dont worry about the economy as much because they dont believe it will ever get better for them.
You are right about the barrios not comparing to the US. Dominicans will offer you coffee or a cerveza. American slums have government assistance, big screen tvs, cable or satellite, free phones food stamps etc etc. And yet the slum and or trailer park residents still demand more from the govt. But i digress.

The topic was about security in the dr not what americans or dominicans think is the most pressing issue of the day.

But since you brought it up, i think the most important issue for americans today is the over reaching power of the IRS.

I dont know if I agree with Chicago being more violent than Santo Domingo

Crime in Chicago, IL, United States. Safety in Chicago, IL

Crime in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Safety in Santo Domingo

You are right thou on the IRS.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
of course dominicas do not bother with economy: economy will not shoot you in the head or slice a throat with the machete. they worry about stuff they hear about every day and they can understand. everyone understands murder and robbery. not many understand external debt, dealings with banco mundial, inflation and the rest of the economy talk.
hence the issues topping the list of biggest dominican worries are always: violence, lack of education, basic utilities and unemployment.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
[video=youtube;2_3h7PeAAq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_3h7PeAAq4[/video]

This was self-defense. It doesn't get any clearer than that from the video.

In the US, with this kind of proof, and if the gun used was obtained legally, the victim walks away free and clear. Only in a country as F-ed up as DR would this man face jail time.

I'm glad he shot and killed that piece of sh1t.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This was self-defense. It doesn't get any clearer than that from the video.

In the US, with this kind of proof, and if the gun used was obtained legally, the victim walks away free and clear. Only in a country as F-ed up as DR would this man face jail time.

I'm glad he shot and killed that piece of sh1t.
Wow...
Are you saying that the guy got jail time by defending himself?
My PC speaker broke so no sound on my computer and I probably wouldn't had understand half of what he is saying anyway...

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Wow...
Are you saying that the guy got jail time by defending himself?
My PC speaker broke so no sound on my computer and I probably wouldn't had understand half of what he is saying anyway...
No. I'm referring to the survivor of the attempted robbery as the victim. I could give two sh1ts about the perpetrator and the accomplice. The perp is no victim as far as I'm concerned.

What is being said in the video is the commentator's opinion about what happened and the ill-fate the survivor may now face due to the country's peculiar penal system.