Semana Borracha 2013

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That would be me with 42!

:( not happy about though...

It was only luck that there was bad weather and a lot of police on the street. Without that, who knows b/c "they" will never learn...

COE published their final boletin:
Boletin No. 4 Final Operativo Semana Santa 2013
they put the number of dead as 29: 27 in road accidents and 2 drownings.

if you add 12 from arguments (a number i mentioned earlier) we get 41.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I guess from my childhood days in Puerto Rico, I never understood the glamor or concept behind drunken driving and disregard of human life in the name of ahh.... I don't know.... celebration?

Are people that repressed or bored with their lives it seems?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
getting in the car and driving completely sloshed has a universal appeal, i think. poland is no different and that is quite far from latin culture... what stops polaks is the fear of the law rather than preoccupation they may kill someone. that is missing from here, i guess. killing someone is a car accident is not considered a big deal. you can either pay up (there is even a set amount of money to pay) or serve a short sentence. in europe you are likely to lose your licence, car, freedom, job, family....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
One of the two people that drowned was a young guy who lived next door to my sister and was very good friends with my niece...I didn't know him personally, but he seemed like a nice kid from the comments I see on his facebook

300276_2496385284513_1619484505_n.jpg

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
in europe you are likely to lose your licence, car, freedom, job, family....

In New York you lose your car, your driver license and if the victim survives, pretty much your life as well.

When I was told it was completely legal to drive with alcohol in your hand in DR, I immediately knew not to find myself out there driving at night, if at all possible.

Interestingly, if you are stopped and found intoxicated, there are big penalties for that for a foreigner. Go figure.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
In New York you lose your car, your driver license and if the victim survives, pretty much your life as well.

When I was told it was completely legal to drive with alcohol in your hand in DR, I immediately knew not to find myself out there driving at night, if at all possible.

Interestingly, if you are stopped and found intoxicated, there are big penalties for that for a foreigner. Go figure.

Rational is that foreigners are not used to driving drunk, thus don't know how to handle it. Dominicans have been doing it since they can get their hands on a car (driver license or not)...so if you're Dominican you get a pass...:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I never understood why so many people drowned here during Semana Santa,..........until, I drank a litters of rum,mixed with 2 litters of Coke, while floating in a truck tire inner tube in a small pond in New Hampshire.
I was too drunk to extricate myself from the tube after a 3 hour soak.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, I rolled out, sank straight to the bottom, and had no idea what I was supposed to do!
I looked up at the surface of the water, and decided to walk to shore.
It was like I was taking an afternoon stroll, but under water.
Just as I realized what was going on, I reached shallow water, and broke through in to the AIR!
A little farther, and I was going to sit down and rest.
"Drowning" was not anything I was thinking about!
Now, I KNOW why they drown.
But it's a "Happy Death"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I find it hard to believe that there were not more fatalities and injuries reported for the whole country.
My husband went to Servi-Med in Cabarete Saturday morning to get an injection for his back pain. Apparently, there was blood all over the floor from the previous night.
The nurse told him that they had 100 patients in a 12 hour period of 4pm Friday to 4am Saturday. Injuries from gunshots, machetes, knives and just plain fighting! 20 had to be sent to Puerto Plata, numerous others to CMC, because they couldn't help them in Cabarete.
Given the amount of people that flock here for Semana Boracha it makes sense, but this is only one little place. Or is it just Cabarete and other tourist areas where things are nuts?