Senate passes the Pro-Pedernales Trust

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The Luperon Beach Resort was popular for years until the long arduous drive over a narrow dangerous road from POP airport was partially responsible for its demise. That and poor management by the last owners. Tourists that stayed at the resort liked the amenities the resort provided and easy access to Luperon, a safe relaxed campo town.

If an airport is actually built to service new resorts in the Pedernales area, resort owners may invest there but it will never be the scale of Punta Cana.
Maybe more like the scale of PoP or maybe Samaná. If it’s eco tourism it also has to be sustainable otherwise nobody is coming for the “beautiful” eco environment. Apart from that I don’t believe there is a big market for eco tourism. Most tourists look at price and just beach, food and booze.

I think I saw that Luperon resort after it was closed. Was incredibly sad. It was as if it had shut down overnight and still had Christmas decorations. Not sure what year it was that I drove past and and saw a closed resort. It was near Luperon.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let’s go over the facts, not the phony nonsense and dreams of “what projects will happen in the next Century.

We have an airport that is a total dump. We have a TWO HOUR ride to another total Dump called Pedernales on one of the most dangerous roads in existence here.

Does anyone know what money and time to “redo that road” would entail. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN………………..

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yes sir it's a cash cow for the rich.
For the time being, which is why Abinader is feathering his own financial nest and taking a have fun while it lasts approach. Much more fun than dealing with inflation, poverty, crime, corruption, and the festering Haitian problems. Inflation isn’t going away and the upcoming fall and winter tourist seasons will be an indicator of how inflation and recession will affect tourist travel.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Maybe more like the scale of PoP or maybe Samaná. If it’s eco tourism it also has to be sustainable otherwise nobody is coming for the “beautiful” eco environment. Apart from that I don’t believe there is a big market for eco tourism. Most tourists look at price and just beach, food and booze.

I think I saw that Luperon resort after it was closed. Was incredibly sad. It was as if it had shut down overnight and still had Christmas decorations. Not sure what year it was that I drove past and and saw a closed resort. It was near Luperon.
I agree with your view of the current state of ecotourism in the DR. I know of only a few small resorts promoting ecotourism stays in the DR but demand is small compared to the demand for the one and two week AI booze and food fest resorts. Ecotourists have a lot of high calibre destinations to choose from in many countries around the world. I don’t think the DR is high on their travel priority list.

One area I think has the potential for small scale ecotourism is the Monti Christi region. The area is still relatively pristine and free of large numbers of tourists. The variety of beaches and terrain there is amazing.

Jan 9, 2004
There is a plan ???
This one is a bit different.

The Pedernales Trust is a public/private partnership. Instead of just political types or those connected to them via their jobs in government, the private sector will have much more input/control.

Of course any plan is subject to revision/modification..........but there is a plan and work is currently being done on/in the port.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

The Pedernales Trust is a public/private partnership. Instead of just political types or those connected to them via their jobs in government, the private sector will have much more input/control.

Of course any plan is subject to revision/modification..........but there is a plan and work is currently being done on/in the port.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Cruise ship port with mega size cruise ships coming doesn't sound a lot like ecotourism.

Jan 9, 2004
Cruise ship port with mega size cruise ships coming doesn't sound a lot like ecotourism.
I thought the very same thing until informed that you cannot get mega size ships into that harbor. It will more likely be smaller vessels that in fact are on eco-tourism adventures schedule.

They do not want to replicate what they already have either on the north coast or PC.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
This "plan' should be up and running sometime in the Next Century.. Do keep us informed of the progress please..............

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"Trust", trust in who? Eventually, it will be bastardized to the extent it will have no influence. The document ink will fade away, same way as on a store receipt, and the interested trust parties will do as they may.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: aarhus and SKY
Jan 9, 2004
"Trust", trust in who? Eventually, it will be bastardized to the extent it will have no influence. The document ink will fade away, same way as on a store receipt, and the interested trust parties will do as they may.

Regards,

PJT
I expect it will likely be Dominicanized to some extent. But they now recognize the importance of the undertaking as not just another throw up another hotel, lack of a development master plan as has occurred in PC.

They, both parties, recognize that eco-tourism is a 200 billion dollar industry and growing. They recognize the southwest is a natural for just that type of project and that the type of tourists for this project may not necessarily be the ones that would have gone to PC anyway.

A totally different animal so as not to do what happened to the north coast when PC took off.

Work has already begun in the port and on some of the roads in the area. A new airport to complement Maria Montez is also being considered. It takes time.......and yes sometimes Dominican time.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I expect it will likely be Dominicanized to some extent. But they now recognize the importance of the undertaking as not just another throw up another hotel, lack of a development master plan as has occurred in PC.

They, both parties, recognize that eco-tourism is a 200 billion dollar industry and growing. They recognize the southwest is a natural for just that type of project and that the type of tourists for this project may not necessarily be the ones that would have gone to PC anyway.

A totally different animal so as not to do what happened to the north coast when PC took off.

Work has already begun in the port and on some of the roads in the area. A new airport to complement Maria Montez is also being considered. It takes time.......and yes sometimes Dominican time.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You have a wonderful imagination. I will give you that....................

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Sounds like it will take time. 15-25 years maybe. Being optimistic.

Jan 9, 2004
Sounds like it will take time. 15-25 years maybe. Being optimistic.
Of course it takes time.............but contrary to the naysayers the process has begun.

The port is to be expanded/upgraded and that work including the requisite environmental studies is currently ongoing. This is a port once owned/controlled by Alcoa when they conducted mining operations in that area.

Lots of infrastructure to be proposed and then acted upon..........and not just roads. Water, sewage, electrical all have to be addressed prior or in conjunction as the project proceeds;

The plan is 4 phases over 10 years. First phase has begun.............but yes it will take time. PC has been a 40+ year project............but was operational in the later 1980's.

More announcements/work to follow.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm with PC... I think once things start happening, they will happen quickly. There is a ton of interest in the southwest.

Reactions: AlaPlaya
Jan 9, 2004
I'm with PC... I think once things start happening, they will happen quickly. There is a ton of interest in the southwest.
Those who say it will not get done.........should not get in the way then;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
To visit in 2023 Ship.
Helicopter until the planes start landing at the new (international airport?) in order to visit.
Still looking for a road or a train.
Right now how is anyone other than a cruise passenger going to get to enjoy the place?