Serbs in Dominician Republic!

mvisnja69

Oct 22, 2004
You say Hrvatska exactly like its written, almost every word is perfectly phonetic, unless its foreign or ancient, haha.

And in my opinion, the whole "difference" between serbian and croatian is something of the 90's and more political than anything. they are using any reason possible to show that they are different. i speak serbo-croatian, always have and always will.

Ivanita, I wish you are right, but history of both Serbian and Croatian languages are more complicated. In my opinion it is same language.
But each one has its own evolution independently.
It happened a long time before these '90.
I would recommend to you nice article, wikipedia of course:
Serbo-Croatian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, 'read as you write' is not our invention. For instance, Old English spelling was almost like that also. Old English was spoken between the mid-5 century and the mid-12 century, in what is today England.

Best regards.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, now that we have this thread in English (thanks all!), could we get it closer to the DR? Everything is fascinating for sure .. but not truly the scope of this board. DR issues only please! :)

mvisnja69

Oct 22, 2004
OK, now that we have this thread in English (thanks all!), could we get it closer to the DR? Everything is fascinating for sure .. but not truly the scope of this board. DR issues only please! :)

Well noticed. Thanks.

Ivanita

Dec 25, 2006
Ivanita, I wish you are right, but history of both Serbian and Croatian languages are more complicated. In my opinion it is same language.
But each one has its own evolution independently.
It happened a long time before these '90.
I would recommend to you nice article, wikipedia of course:
Serbo-Croatian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, 'read as you write' is not our invention. For instance, Old English spelling was almost like that also. Old English was spoken between the mid-5 century and the mid-12 century, in what is today England.

Best regards.

maybe i should have worded what i said differently, i agree they are the same language but have evolved in their own different ways. i also think that the events of the 90's have turned it into a bigger deal than it needs to be, so of course anything written about the differences in the language since then are very, very biased. it probably confuses the hell out of foreigners because they think these are two completely different languages when in reality its one language with different accents & vocabulary.

anyway thanks, you have some good information.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
maybe i should have worded what i said differently, i agree they are the same language but have evolved in their own different ways. i also think that the events of the 90's have turned it into a bigger deal than it needs to be, so of course anything written about the differences in the language since then are very, very biased. it probably confuses the hell out of foreigners because they think these are two completely different languages when in reality its one language with different accents & vocabulary.

anyway thanks, you have some good information.

I guess you missed Chris's post #42. You keep this up and its "Hasta la vista Serbia". Use the PM.:cheeky:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
great idea!it would be like having your own personal "Borack"living with you.
are you on the waiting list as a potential guardian?;)

If he has talent and there is a potential for a movie deal, I'm first on the list. hahaha