Shipping an HDTV to DR in December! Help!!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Everything considered, I think the best waytogo is purchase one here. Worrying about damage in shipping, worrying about customs, not having a warranty of any kind, is the savings really worth it. Today, I purchased a 47 in. Scarlet LG from Plaza Lama in Santiago. Beautiful picture with 2 years parts and labor and 3 years screen. Even if I would have saved 700-800 dollars, the warranty made up the difference. All the other models are 1 year on everything. I told them to call me before the tv is put on the truck. I want the serial number to make sure it is not refurbished. I even had them write on the receipt that it was in fact a new not refurbished set.

I agree...have had friends ship tv here and nothing but headaches...and it takes forever..and you save a few bucks...there are good buys here right now anyways...
bob

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
For my calculations, and figuring exact percentages, I would need to know what you paid for the 40 in.tv....I am courious to see if Luis from Monterey was accurate on his figures I posted earlier.
Luis is probably right in his quotations. If it is like the door to door to shipping of boxes, all is paid upfront including any customs duties.

However, beware of handling during shipping. I just took delivery of a door to door shipment of a box from Miami to Santo Domingo through Montero Shipping and there was some damage to an item inside the box. It was obviously impact damage as if the delivery handlers dropped the box to the ground from the back of the truck from a height of at least five feet.

Can't imagine what that would do to an expensive flat screen TV?.........

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes but

All in all I still think it's worth it sending from NY/Miami and not buying down there. At least you know you will be getting a brand spanking new TV (no matter the cost).

i agree that you can get scammed here...
But if you buy from Americana..... or even ?Plaza Lama they will give you warranties and all that

and, of course, you are giving you business to Domincans, not Americans

which, I would think, ought to count for a couple of hundred bucks!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have brought in 2 LCD HDTVs in recent years:

32 inch westinghouse 3 years ago. Checked baggage on the plane. Paid zero in customs as it was december and the guy at customs asked if it was an xmas gift.

46 inch westing house cost 900 bucks 2 years ago. American would not let me take on plane as in december there is a "box embargo" to DR? Paid another 600 or so in customs and 200 to ship via continental. Still much cheaper than buying here.

Recently TV died. Bough new main board in the states for 169 bucks and paid 4k pesos for repair. . . .working fine now so I am still ahead of the game!

Jan 17, 2009
Everything considered, I think the best waytogo is purchase one here. Worrying about damage in shipping, worrying about customs, not having a warranty of any kind, is the savings really worth it. Today, I purchased a 47 in. Scarlet LG from Plaza Lama in Santiago. Beautiful picture with 2 years parts and labor and 3 years screen. Even if I would have saved 700-800 dollars, the warranty made up the difference. All the other models are 1 year on everything. I told them to call me before the tv is put on the truck. I want the serial number to make sure it is not refurbished. I even had them write on the receipt that it was in fact a new not refurbished set.

How do you find out with the serial number if it is refurbished? We also got an LG in Plaza Lama last year but when I googled the model number it just can't find it. As if there was never such an LG model number produced.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Update as of May 11

55" LED TV to door in SD $950 using Montero in NY. Montero in Miami - $1300. Can all be acomplished by phone with CC.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I have seen 40 inch lcd here for 28,000. I imported a 37 inch previously and import costs more than doubled the price of 400 dollars stateside.
Because electric is expensive here in DR chose one with low power consumption.
Yanandu

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Shiped a 55" LG LED/LCD 3D Internet ready from DC last MO to Santiago. $790 door to door. Set up in home and working good. Working on obtaining a VPN provider so I can stream NETFLIX.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Power Consumption

The old style - with the big tube out of the back - are more efficient than the new thin ones.

Seems odd to me - but I'm told it's true

WW

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power Consumption

The old style - with the big tube out of the back - are more efficient than the new thin ones.

Seems odd to me - but I'm told it's true

WW

Actually a moot point now since tube type televisions may no longer be imported into the DR.
They have gone the way of the dodo bird.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually a moot point now since tube type televisions may no longer be imported into the DR.
They have gone the way of the dodo bird.

How weird is that.... disallow the low energy TV.... next will be a car must get no better than 18 MPG to be allowed importation

WW

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Shiped a 55" LG LED/LCD 3D Internet ready from DC last MO to Santiago. $790 door to door. Set up in home and working good. Working on obtaining a VPN provider so I can stream NETFLIX.

What shipping company did you use?