Sick and tired of parking meters (santiago) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It has nothing to do with LAW. City and its streets belongs to its PEOPLE, not to a handful of high level officials to to be used for their personal enrichment or to cover and compensate for their economic mismanagement and incompetence.

Law - is something that is good for all society, not for a chosen few at expense of the majority.

And of course, the chief arbitor as to what belongs to the people and what laws are fair or not should be an extrano who apparently can't keep track of the keys to his apartment.:rolleyes:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
And of course, the chief arbitor as to what belongs to the people and what laws are fair or not should be an extrano who apparently can't keep track of the keys to his apartment.:rolleyes:

Not true. Not me. The God. It all belongs to Him - our cities, streets, land, beaches, sun, palmtrees, our lives, souls and bodies. Not to a bunch of corrupted manipulative office crooks nomatter what you call them - be it president, CEO, Chief of police. Those who imagined themselves as gods in this world deserve exactly what they deserve. Those smart guys who try to make money on things that do not belong and never belonged to them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Not true. Not me. The God. It all belongs to Him - our cities, streets, land, beaches, sun, palmtrees, our lives, souls and bodies. Not to a bunch of corrupted manipulative office crooks nomatter what you call them - be it president, CEO, Chief of police. Those who imagined themselves as gods in this world deserve exactly what they deserve. Those smart guys who try to make money on things that do not belong and never belonged to them.

Enough of this high and mighty BS, God etc! Get back to parking meters or be deleted.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If the population of Santiago didn't destroy the Meters is because they approved it. If anyone doesn't want to pay to park, take a taxi or a Carro de Concho.

so we have to resort to violence and social disturbance in order for our voices to be heard? Not a single santiaguero approved it, we were not even asked. Santiagueros are tame enough to let them install the meters on the main avenues but now the city has decided to take over all the streets. Lets see how long this will last. I have a feeling, the meters will be destroyed soon.
AZB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
so we have to resort to violence and social disturbance in order for our voices to be heard? Not a single santiaguero approved it, we were not even asked. Santiagueros are tame enough to let them install the meters on the main avenues but now the city has decided to take over all the streets. Lets see how long this will last. I have a feeling, the meters will be destroyed soon.
AZB

They won't destroy the Meters as long as they are only place in the Downtown area.

Not everyone have a vehicle, if you can afford to have car you can afford to pay the Meters.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Parking meter were distroyed in the past time for the taxi drivers, after that the SINDICO of the city had a meeting with the 35 taxi union in Santiago city ( FETAXI ) and he promise us free parking in the corner of the street in the downtown.

Hey AZB,, Maybe doctors union should do the same.

JJ.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Maybe we should get Nuria to see what is happening to all of the income from these meters - I wouldn't be surprised to see someones house having a few additions, etc.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Speaking of getting screwed: First the city of santiago announced that parking All were destroyed and the city quickly got the idea that it will be a bad idea. santiaguers, on the other hand, are laid back and stupid. We let them create a monster that now we all regret.
AZB

are you including yourelf there?

En la union esta la fuerza, go complaint to the right people.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
so we have to resort to violence and social disturbance in order for our voices to be heard? Not a single santiaguero approved it, we were not even asked. Santiagueros are tame enough to let them install the meters on the main avenues but now the city has decided to take over all the streets.
AZB
How is this different than about any gubmint on the planet?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am becomming more & more intrigued by this thread. There is a lot of talk about "They" & "Them" putting these meters in & then making tickets out when time on meters is expired, but NO-ONE has told us who 'THEY' or 'THEM' are. Were the people who sanctioned the meters the elected representatives of the inhabitants of Santiago?

If SO, ........... then the way forward must be to challenge the decision of those representatives by the people of Santiago - through a COURT if necessary! Winging on a noticeboard like DR1 (no matter HOW influential) will not get the matter resolved. I am SURE the local press would be pleased to make a weekly news item about how unfair it is to penalise particular areas just to keep traffic moving through the downtown Santiago metropolis!! Someone must take POSITIVE & PROACTIVE action rather than reactive actions!

Which Department is responsible for the monitoring of the meters & the issuing of tickets if/when the laws pertaining to the meters are broken? AMET or some newly appointed policing authority? Is the newly constituted body legally authorised to impose these fines? Are AMET legally allowed to impose fines? And if so, by WHOM?

I only ask so that I might prepare myself (& my Puertoplatanean colleagues) to fight the battle in advance should there be discussion to bring Parking Meters to this town. Must be my 'Boy Scout' training of "Be Prepared" coupled with the 'Damage Control' culture I have picked up since living here that is coming to the fore! :cheeky: :ermm: :paranoid: ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IMO, the meters are fine. Since they were installed, I can actually find open parking spaces downtown when I have to go there to conduct some business. Before that finding a space was really hard, and I would try to avoid going there.

The expense is minimal for the convenience of available parking.

Monetary policy is also used for social engineering...;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I am also interested in knowing were these funds go to, but living in New York I have been so conditioned that parking meters are second nature to me, and yes you now are able to find parking spaces in downtown Santiago, something that was difficult to do two or three years ago.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I only ask so that I might prepare myself (& my Puertoplatanean colleagues) to fight the battle in advance should there be discussion to bring Parking Meters to this town. Must be my 'Boy Scout' training of "Be Prepared" coupled with the 'Damage Control' culture I have picked up since living here that is coming to the fore! :cheeky: :ermm: :paranoid: ~ Grahame.

Puerto people should learn a lesson from us. Just break the damn things before they are actually put into work. Break the first 20 meters and your ayuntamento will get the message.
lambada asked the right question: who got the huge commission in this project? Its all business and santiago ayuntamento is making big bucks. No wonder they are spreading all these meters all over santiago. I have a feeling, these meters will be destroyed soon.
AZB

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Puerto people should learn a lesson from us. Just break the damn things before they are actually put into work. Break the first 20 meters and your ayuntamento will get the message.
lambada asked the right question: who got the huge commission in this project? Its all business and santiago ayuntamento is making big bucks. No wonder they are spreading all these meters all over santiago. I have a feeling, these meters will be destroyed soon.
AZB

Hopefully so, otherwise DR very soon will become another NY and we`ll have to move further to Thailand.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Not everyone have a vehicle, if you can afford to have car you can afford to pay the Meters.

This is just such a stupid argument. So if I can afford to have car, so I should be punished for having a car? I can afford to take many vacations in a year so maybe the government should double by exit tax, 40 dollars as compared to 20? should we be required to pay an entrance fee for shopping at supermercado nacional because we can afford to shop there as compared to colmados?
Your arguments are simply stupid so stop trying to look smart.
AZB

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
A bit more info on the meter parking rules please.

Are they in affect 24/7, or just business hours M-F. What is maximum parking time before a re-up and how much for the maximum time.

I ask because i was told there are now meters outside the Colonial Hotel and i often park over night there. Especially on weekends. Thanks...........

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
AZB

Of course, and when people start breaking the meters, you will start calling them animals and uncivilize? right?

I support meters in the Downtown area, i need to congratulate the City Hall for that initiative :bunny:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
This is just such a stupid argument. So if I can afford to have car, so I should be punished for having a car? I can afford to take many vacations in a year so maybe the government should double by exit tax, 40 dollars as compared to 20? should we be required to pay an entrance fee for shopping at supermercado nacional because we can afford to shop there as compared to colmados?
Your arguments are simply stupid so stop trying to look smart.
AZB

Not a bad idea, the government can use the extra $20.00 Dollars to improve the tourist area ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.