Sickness at BP San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I couldn't defend myself because I was temporarily banned, which was quite a novel experience. Linda

Thank the lord it was only that! :laugh: I thought you'd temporarily gone down with novovirus......................

I see CBC are now reporting 21 Canadians affected by the bug.......
B.C. couple among 200 hit with illness at Dominican resort - Yahoo! Canada News

According to that report an alert has been issued by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Perhaps one of the Canadians who knows their way around the Health Agency website could find it?

I also wonder if the 'second' outbreak is caused by shoddy reporting......this report refers to 'Some guests at the Bahia Principe San Juan hotel in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic....' yet we know that the Bahia Principe San Juan hotel is in................San Juan!
http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Bug-causes-misery-for-holiday-Brits.html

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thank the lord it was only that! :laugh: I thought you'd temporarily gone down with novovirus......................

I see CBC are now reporting 21 Canadians affected by the bug.......
B.C. couple among 200 hit with illness at Dominican resort - Yahoo! Canada News

According to that report an alert has been issued by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Perhaps one of the Canadians who knows their way around the Health Agency website could find it?

I also wonder if the 'second' outbreak is caused by shoddy reporting......this report refers to 'Some guests at the Bahia Principe San Juan hotel in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic....' yet we know that the Bahia Principe San Juan hotel is in................San Juan!
http://www.itv.com/News/Articles/Bug-causes-misery-for-holiday-Brits.html

Is the Guardian blaming it on George Bush? :cheeky:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I see that the individual stories of 'how my holiday was ruined' have started. See the Belfast Telegraph. Note also the proactive stance of the lawyer in the case cited.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/article2854555.ece
Interesting to note that they are still calling it a mystery bug.
One would think that as soon as they got back they would have sought out medical attention and would have had test results in less than 24 hours.
I wonder if they're hiding anything.
It may be more lucrative to try to blame it on the hotel, than if it's found out to be a tourist who brought the disease with him and infected all the others.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Interesting to note that they are still calling it a mystery bug.
One would think that as soon as they got back they would have sought out medical attention and would have had test results in less than 24 hours.
I wonder if they're hiding anything.
It may be more lucrative to try to blame it on the hotel, than if it's found out to be a tourist who brought the disease with him and infected all the others.
QUOTE From dominicantoday The infection is believed to have been caused by a norovirus, which is low risk and can strike anywhere in the world, usually in cooler (non-tropical) climates, and it is believed therefore that it was brought over by one of the :bunny:hotel guests.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
QUOTE From dominicantoday The infection is believed to have been caused by a norovirus, which is low risk and can strike anywhere in the world, usually in cooler (non-tropical) climates, and it is believed therefore that it was brought over by one of the :bunny:hotel guests.
But WHO is going to believe such an explanation now that the lawyers have got involved & are badgering to get other 'victims' so that they can increase their excessive profits? It will be interesting to see if the lawyers will accept an 'Independent Enquiry's' verdict once the investigation has been completed - having started a 'Trial by Press' they are causing 'victims' to prejudge any enquiry & thereby dismiss it's findings if it does not agree with what the lawyers are saying happened!!

Regrettably I fear that even if the hotel is exonerated by the report, they will cave in & 'Settle out of Court' so as to minimise this blatant leeching by the lawyers & their totally biased press releases.

Oh, & before anyone suggests that some of us here are closing our eyes to the reality of the situation ............. Don't even go down that route. Most of us typing here are just as quick to blame the hotels & Dominican Judicial, police & scammers when we see them, so why can't we retaliate to the scam going on here & wait for the REAL facts to come out?? ~ Grahame.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
This isnt a first...anywhere in the world! The thing I never get with these scammers...who do they hold accountable when they get sick at home!! Did any of them bother to mention how much food and alcohol they consumed on vacation.;)???

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
sometimes you can't please anyone

On Friday afternoon a group of approx 100 passengers arrived on the My Travel flight to POP and were booked into the Bahia Principe....now get this..there was a near riot..police and army had to be called as the clients were going crazy and demanding to go to the Bahia Principe instead of the alternative accommodation booked for them.. The reps were physically threatened and verbally TRASHED by the group of holiday makers just desperate to go to the Bahia Principe....I don't get it!!???...I am sure they must have heard about the illness on the reports on TV and newspaper...I have a sneaking feeling that they wanted a piece of the Norovirus compensation pie ?.. I've never seen reactions as violent as that even when theres an overbooking and clients are informed at the airport...
Maggiemay

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
On Friday afternoon a group of approx 100 passengers arrived on the My Travel flight to POP and were booked into the Bahia Principe....now get this..there was a near riot..police and army had to be called as the clients were going crazy and demanding to go to the Bahia Principe instead of the alternative accommodation booked for them.. The reps were physically threatened and verbally TRASHED by the group of holiday makers just desperate to go to the Bahia Principe....I don't get it!!???...I am sure they must have heard about the illness on the reports on TV and newspaper...I have a sneaking feeling that they wanted a piece of the Norovirus compensation pie ?.. I've never seen reactions as violent as that even when theres an overbooking and clients are informed at the airport...
Maggiemay
I highly doubt that anyone would want to get deathly ill, just so they can try to get compensated later.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I feel very sorry for those people who came away on holiday and were unfortunately taken ill but we all know it can happen anywhere. What really makes a joke of all this is which hotel these guests were supposedly staying in - okay a Bahia Principe but where? Rio San Juan or Punta Cana? Maybe someone should tell the Press the distance between those 2 places....

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The story gets uglier and uglier by the day now this
It can lead to permanent health problems and is spread through contaminated food or water.
And as Lambada has mentioned somewhere else this article is also referring to the one in Punta Cana, the Gran Bahia Principe.
The Gran Bahia Principe is a sister hotel of the Bahia Principe, in San Juan, where more than 300 holidaymakers have been hit by a similar bug.
2nd hotel from the same chain....I can see the conspiracy theories coming.

How Bug Destroyed Our Dream Wedding (from Echo)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Now that is very interesting because that article states 'Jacqueline and Nicholas Gair, from Benfleet, were staying at the Gran Bahia Principe hotel, in Punta Cana, with their three children and 38 friends and family, when they were hit by a parasite called Giardia. More than 30 of the party were affected by the bug, which causes severe stomach cramps, diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches and nausea for up to six months. It can lead to permanent health problems and is spread through contaminated food or water. The Gran Bahia Principe is a sister hotel of the Bahia Principe, in San Juan, where more than 300 holidaymakers have been hit by a similar bug.'

Giardia is NOT novovirus. If it causes those symptoms for up to 6 months it means it either hasn't been diagnosed or the treatment hasn't been taken for long enough. I've had giardia. Not pleasant, agreed, but once diagnosed & treated correctly it should be over in a month at the outside. The problem is thinking you are cured after a week of medication. If you are not it will come back (been there, done that!). The only way of knowing is a follow up stool test 5 days after ceasing medication.

This, if it was giardia they had, is a different thing altogether from the 'novovirus' at San Juan (if that is what they had). Hope the lawyers don't think they can bring a class action lawsuit on 2 different illnesses at 2 different hotels - they'll get laughed out of court.

Maggiemay, your example reminds me of the reaction reps. got when they tried to move people before the hurricane got here........I think it was you who posted about that, too?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
This is getting ridiculous, now another hotel. Are these things getting reported because of sensationalism or are these events things that happen in the hotel business every so often. Its like wildfire. Seems curious to me that only British tourist's are getting sick in all these hotels or did I miss something.
The 200 tourists fell ill over the weekend with vomiting and diarrhoea at the hotel Gaspar Hernandez, 248km north of Santo Domingo, on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, which shares the Caribbean island of Hispaniola with Haiti.

Hotel closed as 200 tourists fall ill | NEWS.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.