Sickness at BP San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincent5525

Aug 15, 2007
Oh please guys, could I get a straight answer? Cos I certinaly cant get one from Thompson holidays. Im booked to go to the Rio San Juan on the 11th september 2007. As the hotel is now closed, we are told were going to be put in another hotel, as yet to be confirmed. So at the moment Im going to the DR but I dont know where? The press over here (UK) are making out that if you go to the DR this year, you will almost certinaly die or at least get a diesease so bad youll want to hang yourself. Ive not been on hoilday for 7 years, so Im well overdue a break, so nothing is stopping me. But I must admit, I am starting to get a little paranoid. Because its 4 weeks away, will the Rio San Juan be back open for business? Or will I be running the risk of going to another hotel, without even seeing what the place looks like?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Oh please guys, could I get a straight answer? Cos I certinaly cant get one from Thompson holidays. Im booked to go to the Rio San Juan on the 11th september 2007. As the hotel is now closed, we are told were going to be put in another hotel, as yet to be confirmed. So at the moment Im going to the DR but I dont know where? The press over here (UK) are making out that if you go to the DR this year, you will almost certinaly die or at least get a diesease so bad youll want to hang yourself. Ive not been on hoilday for 7 years, so Im well overdue a break, so nothing is stopping me. But I must admit, I am starting to get a little paranoid. Because its 4 weeks away, will the Rio San Juan be back open for business? Or will I be running the risk of going to another hotel, without even seeing what the place looks like?
This is as straight an answer I can give you.
tflea, one of our respected and trustworthy members here, posted on another thread, http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/65411-bahia-principe-rio-san-juan.html#post547661
It is back open according to SECTUR press releases.
Now that does not guarantee that your tour group still plans on sending you there.
Who knows if they already made arrangements in another hotel, and don't want to change again?
This can only be confirmed at your end.
At least you now now that Sectur is saying it's open again, and it's a lot more hopeful than before.

Joy-H

Jun 4, 2007
www.bebo.com
I have sent you a pm Vincent. My OH and I fly out to BP on 12th September, if it has opened again, we are still awaiting confirmation from the TA but I will be more than happy to still holiday there as more than likely once open again it will have been meticulously cleansed :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
As reported in DR1, 14 August:

Back to normal at Bahia Principe
Guests are arriving back to the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan resort in Gaspar Hernandez, Espaillat province after detoxification from a norovirus outbreak, brought in by a British tourist, that affected around 200 guests last week. Diario Libre reports that the tourists who were taken ill have recovered satisfactorily. The Norovirus infection typically lasts for two days, with self-limiting vomiting and diarrhea. A British medical team, headed by Professor Rodney Cartwright, for the UK Federation of Tour Operators, determined that the tourists were victims of Norovirus gastroenteritis.

Joy-H

Jun 4, 2007
www.bebo.com
As reported in DR1, 14 August:

Back to normal at Bahia Principe
Guests are arriving back to the Bahia Principe Rio San Juan resort in Gaspar Hernandez, Espaillat province after detoxification from a norovirus outbreak, brought in by a British tourist, that affected around 200 guests last week. Diario Libre reports that the tourists who were taken ill have recovered satisfactorily. The Norovirus infection typically lasts for two days, with self-limiting vomiting and diarrhea. A British medical team, headed by Professor Rodney Cartwright, for the UK Federation of Tour Operators, determined that the tourists were victims of Norovirus gastroenteritis.

:), Thanks for ther updated report

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
The Bahia Principe is not receiving new guests, the ones that are in house will stay until the end of their holiday. No bookings are being received until after the 31st of August. This may also change and be put back to another date to give the hotel enough time to disinfect.
Don't beleive everything you read in the newpapers!
Maggiemay

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
So if they are letting current guests stay and not receiving new guests until 8/31 -- time to give the 'hotel enough time to disinfect' kinda sounds like they are willing to 'infect' their current guests doesn't it. Maybe they have them herded into sterile areas? I'm not questioning your info but I do question the logic if that is true.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
British tourists didn?t catch stomach bug in Dominican hotel, reports say

Quote dominicantoday
SANTO DOMINGO.- The British press reports today that the 205 tourists who got sick last week while staying at a Dominican north coast hotel had caught the virus before arriving in the country, according to a statement by British and local health officials released Tuesday

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
31st August??

So if they are letting current guests stay and not receiving new guests until 8/31 -- time to give the 'hotel enough time to disinfect' kinda sounds like they are willing to 'infect' their current guests doesn't it. Maybe they have them herded into sterile areas? I'm not questioning your info but I do question the logic if that is true.

Whilst researching today to arrange my flight back to the UK for a holiday to meet my new grandchild, I looked at the information page relating to First Choice Holidays which states that guests booked into the BP will be given alternative accommodation up until 20th August - following that date normal service will be resumed....

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002

I think you will find that its a case of not allowing the bug to be moved to any other hotel and spread it. Clients that were already in house when the virus spread have either had it already or for some reason have not had symptoms.

The hotel is definately not receiving clients till the 31st of August...some Tour Operators have moved the date back on their own back just as a precaution and the announced opening date may still be put back by the hotel. I tend to think that the hotel may take a longer time to reopen however if it is for the good of the clients then kudos to the hotel for being responsible.
Maggiemay

vincent5525

Aug 15, 2007
Bahia Principe San Juan off the menu at thompson

I was due to go to the Bahia Principe San Juan in 4 weeks, but yesterday I recieved a letter from Thopsom. They said they are no longer using the Bahia Principe San Juan for the rest of the summer. As a result Ive been moved to the riu bachata. Just to let you guys know. Im not sure what other operators are doing.

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
The opening date is now officially after 31st of September.....some Tour Operators may stop sell it till after that incase there are further changes.
Maggiemay

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

Joy-H

Jun 4, 2007
www.bebo.com
There are too many conflicting stories now, dont know what to believe, some say its open again, some say its closed fort he forseeable future:ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.