Silly question #3 Empanadas in Sosua - where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Having already asked about where to buy ladies Sandals and BBQ chicken, I figure it is time ask another question that will probably result in a few more jabs in my direction. I do not have an oven so I can't bake my own. I am looking to buy good quality empanadas 6 - 12 at a time. Anyone know of a good, clean and reliable source for this scrumptious snack in Sosua. Would prefer a bakery type of establishment where I can buy in bulk instead of a restaurant but beggars can't be too choosy if the options are limited. I definitely am not looking for an elderly lady walking around with a plastic tub on her head. I need somewhere I can go when I want to and not go looking for someone who may or may not be wandering around somewhere at that time. Some place that offers a variety of ingredients would be preferred. For this product I am thinking of a somewhat decent kitchen and product consistency. Not really something made in a home and then sold at a roadside stand.

Thx.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The best empanadas that I've had here is from a little colmado (hole in a wall) in front of Plan B on Pedro Clisante. They are big and only 35 pesos. I was really surprised the first time I had one.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thx Seamonkey, I'll go looking for that colmado I know where Plan B is. I've seen some sort of a shop diagonally across the street.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Having already asked about where to buy ladies Sandals and BBQ chicken, I figure it is time ask another question that will probably result in a few more jabs in my direction. I do not have an oven so I can't bake my own. I am looking to buy good quality empanadas 6 - 12 at a time. Anyone know of a good, clean and reliable source for this scrumptious snack in Sosua. Would prefer a bakery type of establishment where I can buy in bulk instead of a restaurant but beggars can't be too choosy if the options are limited. I definitely am not looking for an elderly lady walking around with a plastic tub on her head. I need somewhere I can go when I want to and not go looking for someone who may or may not be wandering around somewhere at that time. Some place that offers a variety of ingredients would be preferred. For this product I am thinking of a somewhat decent kitchen and product consistency. Not really something made in a home and then sold at a roadside stand.

Thx.
How many years have you lived in Sosua?

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It is not a silly question, not all empanadas are created equal.

I have been in the quest to make mine by the way, you can buy the "masa" in supermarkets and fill it to your liking. I tried baking them, big effin fail !! I still haven't found the perfect cheese combination to fill them, which is driving me nuts :D , but my kids like them.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014

I have been in the quest to make mine by the way, you can buy the "masa" in supermarkets and fill it to your liking. I tried baking them, big effin fail !! I still haven't found the perfect cheese combination to fill them, which is driving me nuts :D , but my kids like them.
In Colombia you can find some really tasty baked empanadas!!!! I don't have a recipe but you could probably find one pretty easily, every bit as yummy as the fried ones, mmmmmmmm empanadas... If I am not mistaken, the baked ones use a wheat flour for the crust.

Reactions: Africaida

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
'Frica
Yes, same price, same name but they usually advertise the 'yucca' part.... con yucca or something
Might be 5 pesos more

RSJ has a casseta that sells them.... on the main road (#5)
but the hours are irregular

Reactions: Africaida

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It always amazes me how something as bland as Yuca can taste so good when it's an empanadilla.

Reactions: ramesses

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You need a different dough if they’re going to be baked instead of fried. In the USA, Goya now makes “discos” for baking, otherwise you have to make the dough yourself (I’m too lazy).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

You should be able to find Cassava flour (yuca) in NY and there are Utube videos on making empanadas using yuca flour.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua

Thx.
The only place that offers baked empanadas on a regular basis is the small bakery down the hill behind Ocean Palms(former Coconut Palms) in Playa Encuentro. They are located in what was the Yoga Studio. Not quite Dominican style and only meat/veg or spinach/cheese. You can order a day in advance. I believe they deliver once a week also.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
In Colombia you can find some really tasty baked empanadas!!!! I don't have a recipe but you could probably find one pretty easily, every bit as yummy as the fried ones, mmmmmmmm empanadas... If I am not mistaken, the baked ones use a wheat flour for the crust.

Yeah, I had them in Colombia, they are indeed Yummy.
I am just too lazy to make the discos, and the one I used were not meant to be baked I guess, they came out very dry.

Reactions: nanita

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You need a different dough if they’re going to be baked instead of fried. In the USA, Goya now makes “discos” for baking, otherwise you have to make the dough yourself (I’m too lazy).

I haven't been able to find discos from Goya here in LT, it is a different brand, they are fine when fried, but I prefer the one from Goya I used to get in NYC.
I don't want to make the dough as well, I know it's not hard to make, but I need them as a quick snack.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Yeah, I had them in Colombia, they are indeed Yummy.
I am just too lazy to make the discos, and the one I used were not meant to be baked I guess, they came out very dry.

I go to a Colombian bakery every week to buy empanadas and other delicious Colombian food. Tomorrow is my day to go this week. The masa (the outer shell) is made with cornmeal. I have had them in Colombia and in Toronto. Buenísima.

Status
Not open for further replies.