Slumdog Milionaire?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
poor old Kate Winsiette - she needs to have more fun...........enjoyed clints film and almost anything with Queen La Titfer Tat.........is Santi clo up for an oscar

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin, the girl wanted to have money to live a happy live by herself or next to the guy, (Spoiler) but remember that she did show up at the train station before he even is in the contest (Spoiler), I guess that could change perception a bit...

Another barrio chica with problems looking to get saved.

Where have I heard that one before?;)...but I see your point and agree.

I would definitely give it an Oscar for best picture.

Best actor should go to Mickey Rourke by the act he portrays in the wrestler, it was one of the best performances I have ever seen from an actor, you really thought he was a washed up WWF wrestler (reminded me of the Ultimate Warrior).

Absolutely. If he doesn't get it it would be a travesty.

In comedy one of the best ones ever for me should be "There's something about Mary" I mean I can see the movie 20 times and I still roll on the floor laughing...

I'm not a big Jim Carrey fan, but "Dumb and Dumber" was good for a goofy laugh also.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
oh dear ! I was going to look up the comedies you suggested...but the jim carrey thing made me think twice.

masipanda

Feb 19, 2009
great movie.... and story line... and yes the scenes hit home... we dont see that in north american..

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A travesty how Mickey Rourke was passed over for Best Actor at the Academy Awards.:surprised

Sean Penn won for the same reason Al Pacino won for "Scent of a Woman"-it was a sympathy vote. That role Penn portrayed in the movie "Milk" was not on par with Rourke's performance.

No way. What a jip.:ermm:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
A travesty how Mickey Rourke was passed over for Best Actor at the Academy Awards.:surprised

Sean Penn won for the same reason Al Pacino won for "Scent of a Woman"-it was a sympathy vote. That role Penn portrayed in the movie "Milk" was not on par with Rourke's performance.

No way. What a jip.:ermm:

Don't mention it, it was the only mishap in this Oscar ceremony, but at least we know that Rourke is back and is back big. Maybe for next year he can equal that same performance and win it.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
actually I thought sean penn was really good - I mean he was acting against character - i havent seen the mickey rouke movie though i must confess

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Somehow I had a feeling this might happen. Reason was that most of the people who vote on this live in THAT area where Harvey Milk is now a legend and also let's face it the gay community has a lot o pull in that industry plus the recent setbacks they have suffered in California.

Sean Penn did a great job, but I agree Mikey was robbed.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Mickey wuz robbed....

Don't get me wrong, Penn played a great role in the movie "Milk", but Rourke was just transcendent in "The Wrestler".

Rourke played a small role in the the Denzel Washington movie "Man on Fire" and was very good. I also liked him in 9 1/2 Weeks. The guy can act.

Like a previous poster stated, the Academy seemed to have gotten all the others right.

Kate Winslet deserved her Oscar, and "Slumdog" got its' due rewards despite the controversy surrounding the treatment of the child actors, who were paid very modest sums given their performances and are still living in the very slums they grew up in.

Even though they were paid much more than the average Indian working household makes for their month of work on the film, it's still heart wrenching knowing they weren't able to improve their immediate lot in life too much.

But the director went on record stating that they both have trust funds set up for their education, so I hope theirs is a happy ending.

It would be sad if they wound up like the child actor from the Brazilian movie "Pixote". That was another great movie involving child actors from the slums of Sao Paulo, Brazil if anyone would like to check it out.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I read an article that the director had to setup these trust funds, because every time they tried to help the kids the adults ended up taking the money and spending it on something else. Also the guy said he was tired of dealing with this as he was receiving daily calls from the families asking for this or that.

Speaking of great Brazilian movies if you haven't seen "City of God" - Also involving kids BTW - see it. That is a great movie.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Somehow I had a feeling this might happen. Reason was that most of the people who vote on this live in THAT area where Harvey Milk is now a legend and also let's face it the gay community has a lot o pull in that industry plus the recent setbacks they have suffered in California.

Sean Penn did a great job, but I agree Mikey was robbed.

This theory has a lot of substance. Agree.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't seen Slumdog yet (read the book though) but can safely say that City of God is much more gritty and bleak.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I was suprised angelina jolie wasnt nominated for the changling - seemed ms winsiette had won it before anything was announced

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
i've read about City of God, sounds like a Brazilian Slumdog movie.

I would say the only parallel between these two movies is that they both have some poor kids in them, other than that there's no comparison. City of God is not a feel good Bollywood movie like Slumdog is, but like Chiri said it's very gritty and there's no happy ending with dancing in it (kind of like what I wish Slumdog's ending would have been, this way it would have been more realistic).

BTW city of god received four Academy Award nominations in 2004.