Slumdog Milionaire?

Valerie617

Feb 14, 2008
Slumdog Millionaire did remind me a little bit of the street kids in the DR - downtown Boca Chica - but I'm really not well-informed enough to make that comparison. My heart goes out to the little kids wanting to polish your shoes when you're wearing flip-flops. Sometimes there were five kids surrounding us, asking us for money as we walked down the street, a couple saying they were hungry. So I'm not sure what was real. Slumdog did cross my mind, wondering if there was someone overseeing them to beg. I was uncomfortable with the boys who were a little older (14 maybe?) who would touch our arm or shoulder to get our attention to ask for money.

I do like going into Downtown Boca Chica during the day, but this trip turned me off a little -- didn't feel as safe as before.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I agree with the "sacharin" love affair business. Besides these two people don't look like your regular "Capotillo" style indian "untouchables". This is your version of Leonardo DiCaprio/Kate Winslett love affair movies.
Granted the movie has won all the accollades, and if AZB thinks is good, it must be and the nominations speak for themselves.
What really bothered me with this whole affair is the ridiculous melodramatic cheering scenes of indian people clapping, cheering, and celebrating a movie like it was the 4th. of July fireworks or New Year's at Times Square. It reminds us all, that India is still an underdeveloped nation aspiring to be a world power. They are not unlike Dominicans waving flags and running wild when Licey wins, or when planes land at the airport.
They are just like us, with hi-rises at Anacaona Avenue, Piantini while the whole countryside rots. Mumbai is like Santo Domingo and the people are just backward peons with computers. I thought seeing all the hoopla on major cable networks and the Oscar show was sickening. Sorry fore feeling so elitist today, but people ought to have some pride and not look like "slumdogs" on international TV.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lets put it this way, the movie becomes far more interesting when you understand Hindi. Its just not the same as reading subtitles. I never saw the oscars, I really don't even believe in oscar awards that much. I simply watch the movie and then decide for myself if its good or not.
AZB

Reactions: mike l