so i just got back from trip Sosua...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
If you're looking for stunning, drop dead gorgeous, positively breathtaking beaches, go to Las Terrenas, Playa Fronton, Las Aguilas, and dozens and dozens of very small, very hard to reach beaches that are often--but not always--at the foot of very tall cliffs around Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Las Galeras, etc--but to find these places you need to know where to go and you need your own transportation.

Unfortunately, you went to a public beach on a holiday weekend, and of course, you encountered bus loads of dominicans that unfortunately do not neccessarily always respect the beaches and just leave their trash wherever they sit. It's unfortunate, and it happens at the rivers on holiday weekends as well. we got a long way to go here. we need somethng like we had in the USA during the 70's when there was a massive push to clean up america and its highways and public areas, and huge fines were imposed and enforced for anyone who littered. it could be done in two generations of education and lots of tv commercials and millions of dollars spent in campagning and increased education. Sadly, that won't be happening in my lifetime. But maybe the next generation will be able to see it through.

Nevertheless, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned something about getting a motorcycle and exploring on your own. Here's one suggestion, only a 50 minute ride from Sosua that only a handful of people know about it. the beach has no name and is inaccessible during high tide. It's located about 200 meter east of Playa Grande. Th entrance starts across from the police station that sits on the far east entrance of Playa Grande. there is an empty, over-grown parking lot directly across from this police station. the parking lot has a gate locked down at the entrance. it's quite a large parking lot...sometimes there are horses inside eating the overgrown grass. it's been closed for over a decade because, at the end of the parking lot, there is a 60 foot cliff that drops off straight down into rocks and crystal blue ocean. they closed the parking lot after several people fell off the cliff and became fish food. there are no bannisters, rope, rails, or anything else at the end of the parking lot to prevent someone from walking directly off the end and into the sea.

park outside the parking lot, next to the fence--across from the police station. duck underneath the gate and walk directly to the end of the parking lot: do not continue walking over the edge unless you know how to fly. Batman or superman cape will not work.

At the end of the parking lot, there is a trail--easily visible, to the right of the parking lot. turn right, stay on the trail, the trail snakes along the edge of the cliff--there are several breathtaking picture opportunities along the cliff--bring a good camera! keep walking, following the trail. you will feel like you are in a scence of Lord of The Rings. the trail will dead-end into a large ravine. surfers have carved out small steps that lead down into the mouth of the ravine. at this point, you will feel like your in a horror film or a scene out of the Tom Hanks film where he is marooned on an island. using very precise baby steps, and some very good shoes or better yet--barefoot, start climbing down the walls of the ravine until you are in the mouth of it. then follow it north to the ocean--only about 20 meters away. if it is low tide, you will be able to turn left, and head west along the bottom of the cliff until you get to a large mound of rocks and dirt. go around this large mound--to the right--along the ocean--do not try to scale the mound--it will take you no where but doom! simply go around the mound to the right--you will have to enter the ocean slightly and get wet--but if the tide is low, you can walk from rock to rock until you get around it. once around the mound, you will be on your own personal, private beach, with 60 foot ovehanging cliffs above you. you will be able to swim in crystal clear, shallow water, and the over hanging cliff will offer you protection from the sun and rain and give you the opportunity to have a romantic interlude where no one can see you but the crabs. It's stunning, it's beautiful, and it's within an hour drive of Sosua and Cabarete.

A word of caution. the climb down the walls of the ravine is not for the faint hearted. the're slippery, their steep, and if their wet, their extremely dangerous. one slip will see you with several broken bones, lost teeth, and possibly death. Yes, it's that steep--but only in certain areas. still, the walk along the cliff to the ravine is worth the trip several times over and will give you some of the ery best picture opportunities that you will ever get on the north coast.

love Frank

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
LOVED the post!!! lol

A funny thing happened on the way to Frank's beach:

[video=youtube;GXWX87z90Q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXWX87z90Q8[/video]

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OR... not so funny:

[video=youtube;XOW1rhZCTmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOW1rhZCTmg[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
frank, this sounds like a great place and i immediately thought of going there with my friends. until i remembered that miesposo feels dizzy standing on the top of the stairs, let alone the top of any cliff.
darn.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, the OP was unfortunate to go to Sosua beach on a holiday weekend and witness the antisocial littering of the busloads that visit the beach then. But normally I like Sosua beach very much. I like Cabarete too but Sosua is different - a sheltered bay, the beach lined with palm trees and to me, the line of small bars and restaurants at the back of the beach add to the atmosphere. And the moto conchos don't get down there!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
and honestly don't know what people see in that place.... The beach is dirty, small and overcrowded, lot of girls in desperation and sadness in their eyes, lot of stray dogs, crazy amount of motoconchos (constant noise) and so on....Cabarete is much much better IMHO

Funny...these are the things I love about Sosua. As far as the desperation and sadness in the eyes...that is the case with much of the island, men and women. If you look around a bit, there is also joy, family and zest for life.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Some people see what they want. I just got back after not being "home" for over a year and found Sosua to be delightful. The Mayor has cleaned up the town, lots of changes and my wife and I went swimming in Sosua bay and watched the Sun set. The water was clean and blue. My neighborhood has taken off. Bennie Katz built a palace next to my house and there are about 25 very nice new houses in various stages of construction. And they are not in a residential. Since they cut down the trees I even have a small ocean view. Playero (supermarket) had enlarged and modernized the store and the town was vibrant. The posters who keep on saying Sosua has no future and find it dirty and boring do not see the same town I am looking at. I was very surprised at all the changes. Ileanna and the local government of Sosua are the best thing that has ever happened to the town. Sosua seems to be thriving and heading for a bright future.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I don't know. Perhaps I am immune to that. I was at the beach a couple of years ago, and two young folks that I took up there on Saturday loved it. And they are not rookie travelers either.

I suppose it can be a bit hectic.

But you know? Like DV8 says, there are some beautiful places there...

HB

hey - what about the two YOUNG folks you happened to run into on the street ? Wasn't that worth the trip ? ha ha. Was good to see you again. We don't see your face often enough in Sosua. Take care.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Cabarete: main street, beach, and a row of restaurants in between.
Sosua as a town has much more variety. Also two museums, one of them maybe unique in the world.
As for the motoconchos: 2 walking minutes from the PC you hardly notice them.
Just my opinion.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cabarete: main street, beach, and a row of restaurants in between.
Sosua as a town has much more variety. Also two museums, one of them maybe unique in the world.
As for the motoconchos: 2 walking minutes from the PC you hardly notice them.
Just my opinion.

Cabarete runs from Islabon to the east all the way to a little past Cabarete Medical Center to the west. You are talking about downtown Cabarete.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
Thanks man ! although you probably shouldn't post it, as there will be hordes of gringos in there, almost like in Sosua :)
If you're looking for stunning, drop dead gorgeous, positively breathtaking beaches, go to Las Terrenas, Playa Fronton, Las Aguilas, and dozens and dozens of very small, very hard to reach beaches that are often--but not always--at the foot of very tall cliffs around Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Las Galeras, etc--but to find these places you need to know where to go and you need your own transportation.

Unfortunately, you went to a public beach on a holiday weekend, and of course, you encountered bus loads of dominicans that unfortunately do not neccessarily always respect the beaches and just leave their trash wherever they sit. It's unfortunate, and it happens at the rivers on holiday weekends as well. we got a long way to go here. we need somethng like we had in the USA during the 70's when there was a massive push to clean up america and its highways and public areas, and huge fines were imposed and enforced for anyone who littered. it could be done in two generations of education and lots of tv commercials and millions of dollars spent in campagning and increased education. Sadly, that won't be happening in my lifetime. But maybe the next generation will be able to see it through.

Nevertheless, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned something about getting a motorcycle and exploring on your own. Here's one suggestion, only a 50 minute ride from Sosua that only a handful of people know about it. the beach has no name and is inaccessible during high tide. It's located about 200 meter east of Playa Grande. Th entrance starts across from the police station that sits on the far east entrance of Playa Grande. there is an empty, over-grown parking lot directly across from this police station. the parking lot has a gate locked down at the entrance. it's quite a large parking lot...sometimes there are horses inside eating the overgrown grass. it's been closed for over a decade because, at the end of the parking lot, there is a 60 foot cliff that drops off straight down into rocks and crystal blue ocean. they closed the parking lot after several people fell off the cliff and became fish food. there are no bannisters, rope, rails, or anything else at the end of the parking lot to prevent someone from walking directly off the end and into the sea.

park outside the parking lot, next to the fence--across from the police station. duck underneath the gate and walk directly to the end of the parking lot: do not continue walking over the edge unless you know how to fly. Batman or superman cape will not work.

At the end of the parking lot, there is a trail--easily visible, to the right of the parking lot. turn right, stay on the trail, the trail snakes along the edge of the cliff--there are several breathtaking picture opportunities along the cliff--bring a good camera! keep walking, following the trail. you will feel like you are in a scence of Lord of The Rings. the trail will dead-end into a large ravine. surfers have carved out small steps that lead down into the mouth of the ravine. at this point, you will feel like your in a horror film or a scene out of the Tom Hanks film where he is marooned on an island. using very precise baby steps, and some very good shoes or better yet--barefoot, start climbing down the walls of the ravine until you are in the mouth of it. then follow it north to the ocean--only about 20 meters away. if it is low tide, you will be able to turn left, and head west along the bottom of the cliff until you get to a large mound of rocks and dirt. go around this large mound--to the right--along the ocean--do not try to scale the mound--it will take you no where but doom! simply go around the mound to the right--you will have to enter the ocean slightly and get wet--but if the tide is low, you can walk from rock to rock until you get around it. once around the mound, you will be on your own personal, private beach, with 60 foot ovehanging cliffs above you. you will be able to swim in crystal clear, shallow water, and the over hanging cliff will offer you protection from the sun and rain and give you the opportunity to have a romantic interlude where no one can see you but the crabs. It's stunning, it's beautiful, and it's within an hour drive of Sosua and Cabarete.

A word of caution. the climb down the walls of the ravine is not for the faint hearted. the're slippery, their steep, and if their wet, their extremely dangerous. one slip will see you with several broken bones, lost teeth, and possibly death. Yes, it's that steep--but only in certain areas. still, the walk along the cliff to the ravine is worth the trip several times over and will give you some of the ery best picture opportunities that you will ever get on the north coast.

love Frank

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
bus loads of dominicans that unfortunately do not neccessarily always respect the beaches and just leave their trash wherever they sit. It's unfortunate, and it happens at the rivers on holiday weekends as well. we got a long way to go here. we need somethng like we had in the USA during the 70's when there was a massive push to clean up america and its highways and public areas, and huge fines were imposed and enforced for anyone who littered. it could be done in two generations of education and lots of tv commercials and millions of dollars spent in campagning and increased education. Sadly, that won't be happening in my lifetime. But maybe the next generation will be able to see it through
unfortunately the problem is with whole human race - the only thing that we give back to this planet is waste and trash...it's so visible in 3rd world countries...Remember where ships with toxical waste went from Europe to ? To countries like Nigeria and so on...anyway, some people still love plastic....

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks man ! although you probably shouldn't post it, as there will be hordes of gringos in there, almost like in Sosua :)

HAHA...it's so remote, so hard to get to, so difficult to navigate down the wall of the ravine, and even then, if you manage to get down into the ravine and it's high tide, you ain't gonna see nothing. the stars have to align together, the moon has to be in the seventh house, and the crabs have to be down in their rabbit hole to allow you to reach the beach.

Other than that..it's a piece of cake to reach.:cheeky:

frank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That beach has a name - I just can't remember it.....Preciosa is to the west

Spear fishermen are there all the time ... at the nameless beach

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
exactly, i came on Sunday (Monday was hioliday for many, so it was like Saturday) and even on bus from Santiago ;-)
I try to stay away from most all big beaches on the weekend. You're right about the filth etc. However that's not Sosua's fault it's the trash from other towns, Santiago etc. that bring it and leave it. We are left with the job of cleaning it up.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
and honestly don't know what people see in that place.... The beach is dirty, small and overcrowded, lot of girls in desperation and sadness in their eyes, lot of stray dogs, crazy amount of motoconchos (constant noise) and so on....Cabarete is much much better IMHO

Also tends to attract a different kind of visitor than Cabarete. Perhaps one day the government and business community will decide to clean up Sosua. Keep in mind, there are so many beautiful places to visit on the island, if you don't want to be in that environment.