so i just got back from trip Sosua...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There's one major difference between Sosua vs Cabarete that no one here ever talks about: The length of both beaches. In Cabarete, heading west towards Sosua, you can walk uninterupted for 8 miles along the most pristine, most remote, most beautiful, most stunning beaches on the north coast--you can walk all the way to Sea Horse Ranch from Cabarete along the beach. Once you get to Sea Horse Ranch, however, you have to turn south and walk up to the highway, or turn around and head back East. I like to head back East to Perla Marina--to Natural Cabanas--a stunning eco-friendly resort that resembles Gilligan's Island vs Devil's Island--about 2 miles east of Sea Horse Ranch--inside a beautiful gated community that's both fascinating and fun to walk around.

You can also head east from Cabarete--and walk 6 miles--all the way down to IslaBon & La Boca river. This too is one of the most stunning, pristine, uninhabited stretches of beaches on the north coast that stretches for miles and miles before you finally reach the Yasica river. there's driftwood everywhere along the beach, the sand is beautiful, the walk is absolutely amazing, and sometimes you can catch crazy, drunk Russians nude sunbathing just past Cabarete East.

In either direction from Cabarete--West or East--were talking about miles and miles of uninterupted beach access and pristine waters that once you get outside of town become crystal clear. Along the way, you will see Kite Surfers sweeping up and down along the beach, sometimes staying parellel to the beach, but sometimes heading north-west to Cuba and then onto Miami--stopping occasionally in Key West for Happy Hour. The colors of the water east and west of Cabarete is amazing, the water is crystal clear, and the fauna along these two stretches of beaches are lush, tropical, and stunning. Although, yes, Las Terrenas has us beat and is even more beautiful. No question.

If sitting on the beach and staring at some fat person wearing a swimsuit three sizes too small is your thing, got to Sosua. If walking down Pedro Clisante and seeing a bunch of cheap, over-weight (i'm one of them), obese North Americans from the East Coast and Ohio Valley (i'm one of them too), chain smoking Europeans, then, again, go straight to Sosua. However, if sitting on the beach and watching extrememely in-shape Kite Surfers sweep up and down the beach--jumping waves and catching big air--and then landing on one of the condo units that line the beach, or telephone polls, or landing across the street in the lagoon & marshland--then come to Cabarete. But wait...there's more here: you can also come to Cabarete and watch wind surfers zip back and forth--racing each other to Happy Hour; or you can watch paddle boarders parading back and forth in what can only be described as one of the hardest workouts known to mankind--directly after Navy Seal Training.

In Cabarete, you can enjoy watching Surfers, Kite Surfers, Wind Surfers, and Paddle Boarders, and an assortment of blond Norwegians projectile vomit on each other (there is a Norwegian school here in Cabarete that specializes in projectile vomiting), Europeans, and North Americans and other assorted beer drinking athletes congregate along the promenade and walk up and down one of the longest stretches of sand, in one of Dominican Republic's most popular, most beautiful, and most internationally recognized (Cabarete has two international Wind Surfing Competetions every year) beaches on not just the North Coast, but on the island: Cabarete...it's the best of both world's.

Frank

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Para el gusto se hicieron los colores!!!

I have been going to Sosua beach since I can remember. It was the spot for my family to go to in Semana Santa every year. When I'm in town depending on how long I stay I make it a point to go to Sosua as I still like the beach. I've been going to the same spot for the last 8 years. I am treated very well and with respect. When I want peace I go on a weekday (preferably on a Monday when there is hardly anyone there). When I want to see a lot of people on the beach then I go on a Sunday.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
we need somethng like we had in the USA during the 70's when there was a massive push to clean up america and its highways and public areas, and huge fines were imposed and enforced for anyone who littered. it could be done in two generations of education and lots of tv commercials and millions of dollars spent in campagning and increased education.

I've thought the same thing. A repeat of the "Don't Be A Litterbug" campaign started during the 50's in the States. It was huge success. I think I read that it was needed after families started buying cars and traveling on all the new roads.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I went to Sosua a month ago and Punta Rucia(sp?) last weekend and it felt like the beach seems like similar. Decent but trash everywhere and crowed. It felt like I was back in Coney Island minus the awesome hot dogs and foods. I've heard almost all public beach experience is going to be more or less same, it will be crowed, beer bottles plastic cups and bag of chips flown by breeze everywhere people looking to sell everything. All in all can be fun experience for some but disappointment for others.
If you expect beaches to be like Thailand and Vietnam you are in for big disappointment just enjoy for what it is and properly proportioned women.

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
I love Sosua. I like the beach there. There are lots of trees which provide shade at all times of the day. Also, the view from the beach is nice. Just my 2cents

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I went to Sosua a month ago and Punta Rucia(sp?) last weekend and it felt like the beach seems like similar. Decent but trash everywhere and crowed. It felt like I was back in Coney Island minus the awesome hot dogs and foods. I've heard almost all public beach experience is going to be more or less same, it will be crowed, beer bottles plastic cups and bag of chips flown by breeze everywhere people looking to sell everything. All in all can be fun experience for some but disappointment for others.
If you expect beaches to be like Thailand and Vietnam you are in for big disappointment just enjoy for what it is and properly proportioned women.

That may be true for the tourist areas... remember, all beaches are public and there are many that are more pristine than what you describe.

Stretch out a bit - go afar, not too far and you may be very happy.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
if you want a fairly secluded beach walk down by the east of seahorse ranch where you see a little stone gate on the main road, turn right at the bottom and hey presto seclusion

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
if you want a fairly secluded beach walk down by the east of seahorse ranch where you see a little stone gate on the main road, turn right at the bottom and hey presto seclusion

This is exactly the spot i mention earlier in this thread, where, if you were to walk from Cabarete or Perla Marina along the beach--heading west, you would get to Sea Horse Ranch, where, you have to either turn left and head south along the trail, up to the north coast highway that runs in-between sosua and Cabarete (where the stone entrance is that you have indicated) or turn back around and head east back towards cabarete or Perla Marina.

It's a fabulous, secluded walk, along some very pristine, isolated beaches as well as some of the most beautiful trails that run parellel to the beach. if you wanted, you could walk it 14 or 15 miles all the way to La Boca and Yasica river.

You can't do that in Sosua.

Frank

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
no need for wingmans in Sosua, in which of "101 ideas for better plastic life,buy now, i thank you later" brilliant books you read about it ? unless you mean wingman as "repellent" to stray dogs ?
:D

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Not much of a fan of Cabarete beach. No fun lying on the sand watching the boarders as you get sand blasted by the constant wind. Swimming/snorkelling? forget it as you will get cut in half by the afore mentioned boarders and if you do manage to avoid them, nothing to snorkel and see. I find a lot of the restaurants make me feel I am on a beach in North America as well. Still a favorite place to go and visit once or twice while we stay in Sosua though.

May 5, 2007
no need for wingmans in Sosua, in which of "101 ideas for better plastic life,buy now, i thank you later" brilliant books you read about it ? unless you mean wingman as "repellent" to stray dogs ?
:D

Many times I don't quite "get" a response, sometimes I am completely at a loss as to the meaning

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
still not sure why Cabarete seems to cover such a large area and yet Sosua is the bigger town cmc medical center being a case in point