Social Class vs. Economic Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Nal0whs said:
So what that they live in a mansion one million times the size of the shacks out side their property. So what if they drive on their Jaguars right by the most humble of markets. So what, so what, so what.

Do I detect sarcasm here? How else are you supposed to get to the market if you can't drive your car there? So what indeed! and just for the record, I don't know what in God's name you all are talking about. Having money, owning land, etc. does not make you part of the elite group TonyC is referring to.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Having money and owning land doesn't make you part of the elite. That is absolutely true. HOWEVER, being born into a family that has been in the Dominican since the time of Columbus, a family that became rich in those times and has maintained its wealth through the years up until today, that makes you an elite. Even though the actual act of owning land doesn't make you part of the elite, the fact is, those who belong to elitist families are rich because of the acts their anscestors did in the past. In the past, it was Sugar, rum, bananas, and tobacco the wealth creaters. With a bit of gold here and there. Those family that were granted gigantic fincas by the Spanish crown in the Cibao, eventually became the first rich folks of the island. From that point forward, they basically dictated what was to be of Dominicana. The decendants of those Chopos are part of the Elite. I am simply talking about how a person goes about being accepted into that group. However, 90 miles south of Santiago is Santo Domingo. The elites downthere tend to make their money off tourism, the government, manufacturing, you know, actual business. These folks made their wealth relatively recently. They have not been wealthy for the past 500 years like those of Santiago. That is why Santiago's elite don't accept anyone else, even if they are rich from Santo Domingo. It's important to note, however, that some of Santiago's elite have moved their assets from agriculture to more capitalistic approaches like those of the capital, some have even moved to the behemoth city that has gobbled the area between the Ozama River and the Haina. But, the system remains firm and clear. If you are not from direct blood from the Santiago elite (the true, traditional, and historical elites of Dominicana) then, you have a super slim chance of actually being accepted into that group.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
QUOTE]Originally posted by Nal0whs
Having money and owning land doesn't make you part of the elite. That is absolutely true. HOWEVER, being born into a family that has been in the Dominican since the time of Columbus, a family that became rich in those times and has maintained its wealth through the years up until today, that makes you an elite. actually being accepted into that group. [/QUOTE]

These families are far and few. I know exactly what you're trying to say, but, I have to tell you that you guys are giving the elite of Santiago way too much credit/publicity? when they're in fact being looked at by the rest of us as fools (us meaning well to do families). No one cares what they think or do, and more to the point aspire to be part of that group, why would anyone in their right mind want to be part of such an antiquated society?

Por favor senores, no hay otro tema mas interesante que discutir? esto ya esta viejo y no tiene nada de importancia.

Rebecca

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
QUOTE]Originally posted by Nal0whs
Por favor senores, no hay otro tema mas interesante que discutir? esto ya esta viejo y no tiene nada de importancia.

Rebecca

Thats the topic

As I stated above:

OTRO TEMA - As in "another topic" because this one is old news already.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Take it easy people

People people, please take it easy. Why is this turning into some type of war? Can't we all have a respectful, intelligent conversation on this board without anyone trying to shut every one up or someone cursing. Remember why you live in Dominicana, because you wanted to get away from the rat race (I suppose). So please, stop acting as if you are still in a rat race. We are all educated, well manner people with some form of class. Lets act as such. And about me calling my Quisqueya, Dominican or Dominicana, heck I might call it Santo Domingo for goodness sake!! I can call MI PAIS whatever I want as long that is not derogatory or demeaning in anyway. IF I, who am a DOMINICANO don't have a problem with anyone abbreviating the name of MI PAIS, NON DOMINICANOS ought to not care either!!!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Take it easy people

Nal0whs said:
People people, please take it easy. Why is this turning into some type of war? Can't we all have a respectful, intelligent conversation on this board without anyone trying to shut every one up or someone cursing.

No one is trying to shut anyone up. But you'll see what I mean, it's going to go on and on...There is no simple answer to this problem.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Clippedwing,

I personally have more respect for Sammy than the Elites. I like the elites because they help keep the culture alive by "imposing" on society what is acceptable behavior for a dominican and what is not. Thus they contribute greatly to what it means to be a dominican, at least of the upper crust. I do look up to Sammy and company because they prove to people that anyone can reach their goals. And please don't think it doesn't exist in the USA, it does. It's just that the US old money don't make such a big fuss about it as their latin counter part. And in Dominicana, if you work very hard for what you want, you will get it. However, working very hard includes making sure you have an appropriate education for what you want, and that is where many dominicans lack interest in. Thus, they work and work in the Dominican and they don't climb much of the economic latter. They see that in the US they work with the same rudimentary education level they got and they live much more comfortable, partly because wages are not so low in the US for unskilled labor but also because the US government gives grants to those in need (i.e. welfare), that is something that doesn't exist in the Dominican Republic.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Re: Re: No doubt much....

You have been Moderated, Tim H.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: No doubt much....

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Re: Re: Re: No doubt much....

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
It started as an intelligent thread, but as usual!!!!

Now it's locked!!!!!!!!!!!

And I don't like Civil Servants from the U.S. State Department, wasting my time, or tax dollars, when they are supposed to be working!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Thanks
Tim H.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Sticks & stones may break my bones, but names in a PM, will never......

YOU
You're an absoluetly horrible moderator.. You should take notes from Anna. You left the orignal thread up, perhaps if you'd taken it down also no one could respond again. But you and Pasha are probably boinking each other which is why you let her say whatever she wants and start a flurry of comments. Her comments were up all day. Had you used an ounce of common sense you would have known to censor it.

They're just making anybody moderators these days.

And before you waste your time responding.. don't... my delete finger is already twitching.

Thanks
for the Compliment!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.