Some Dominicans love to bite the hand that feeds them

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
funny, I bought a car that way once.

I was just window shopping - saw a car I liked and inquired.
The salesman was shocked. It was a last year car... they had missed it.

I started about the one year depreciation - their cost not mine - and we went on, and on.
He picked up that phone to the 'fictitious' boss at least four times.
I just sat there and stated my position.

I now realized I had a real bargain in front of me (my nemesis) and was determined to get it BUT at my price .

I kept standing up to go and he'd call the 'boss' again.

I got it and drove it for 65,000 miles - a record for me.... over 5 yrs (another record)

Only works when you truly don't care.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Only works when you truly don't care.

That's why it is important to have another alternative in the works. Go for your dream house first, but if it doesn't work out, have that other villa/condo as a backup so you can comfortably state your final position without an air of desperation or reluctance. Body language is everything and smooth operators are tuned into it like sharks. Tapping a bulge in your pocket just before you leave is often the last straw and the deal gets done. A smaller commission in hand today, is often more attractive than nothing today maybe no commission tomorrow either.

It really is a game and some are just better playing it than others. I get that. Too bad we weren't exposed to this way of purchasing more at home as we were growing up. The Dominicans have been doing it since they were old enough to talk.

Aug 6, 2006
You simply have to prevent yourself from falling in love with something. You have to act like you do not care.

When you buy a car from the owner, he cannot be expected to tell you the whole truth. However he does know the whole truth, and there is no reason to tell him you know he is lying. If he says that the AC just needs charging, your brain should start calculating an evaporator leak, a new compressor and new belts plus labor, and subtract that from the Edmunds or Kelley Bluebook price.

You just tell the owner that you really would like to pay his asking price, but you only have $X, and you can only offer him $x. Then you give him your number and slowly walk away. Any mention that there was a previous buyer who offered him more can be ignored. I have found that Edmunds and Kelley are a bit high for Miami, around 6 to 8%.

This has worked for me four times out of six.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
8 mil? holy jeezus. i pay more for a 1 bedroom apartment..

Gorgon, there are lots of places in the DR for that amount of money if expats wouldn't mind
living in barrios. There is a misconception among foreigners when they hear the word "barrio"
they think it means ghetto. Barrio just means "sector" and there are many, many nice, clean
barrio neighborhoods. But of course there are filthy barrios.

Apr 13, 2011
I find the need to be told that they have "many other people looking to rent or buy right now" story happens too often that I ignore it now.
Every apartment I have rented over the years, and a couple of used cars - every single time, they used the same tactic of trying to tell me that someone else is looking at it and might rent it or buy it before me - thinking that will make me decide faster and not debate over the price. I'll admit - I fell for it once.
Now, I basically tell them, there are several other places that I am looking at, if someone else decides to give you money for the apartment before I do, then I understand and will keep looking elsewhere.
But I no longer believe anyone who says that they have multiple offers - because it rarely ever seems to be true. And it can be frustrating when they try to use it to pressure you into a decision.

Aug 6, 2006
The word "barrio" is related to the word "boroughs" as used in NYC. In Mexico, the fancy subdivisions are called "colonias", because back in the 1900's, the foreign colonias were the stylish parts of town. In Spain, "barrio" simply means "neighborhood", and it seems to me that this is what it means in the DR. Of course, American style zoning to exclude poorer people from a subdivision is not common in most of Latin America. People buy property for speculation, put up a 12 foot wall around it, and wait for the right time to sell and make a killing. In Mexico, the owner will frequently allow some poor but honest employee to occupy the property, just to keep an eye on it and to keep out squatters. It seems to me that this is common in much of the RD. Americans, at least some of them, seem to love gated communities where all the owners are bound by contract to a whole slew of details about how many people may live on the property, how it cannot be rented, and what colors you are permitted to paint it. If I ran a country, I am afraid, I would not allow developers to seek out such people, because all they have to offer is money. Perhaps if the country were like the Bahamas, they could be isolated to their own special islands.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Gorgon, there are lots of places in the DR for that amount of money if expats wouldn't mind
living in barrios. There is a misconception among foreigners when they hear the word "barrio"
they think it means ghetto. Barrio just means "sector" and there are many, many nice, clean
barrio neighborhoods. But of course there are filthy barrios.

I for one couldn't be happier with the barrio I am in..............
Just a couple of minutes to the Monument..............
When I feel like time in Sosua, (for the beach and ocean).........
2 taxis, to and from the Metro and 2 Metros......total......700 round trip.............
Life can be great here if you know what you are doing.........

B in Santiago

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I for one couldn't be happier with the barrio I am in..............
Just a couple of minutes to the Monument..............
When I feel like time in Sosua, (for the beach and ocean).........
2 taxis, to and from the Metro and 2 Metros......total......700 round trip.............
Life can be great here if you know what you are doing.........

B in Santiago

Nice! You are really living the life in paradise!;) That's the way to go.:)

Just an FYI: IF you do not live in a gated community, in an upscale area, development or in a campo
then you live in a barrio.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not Recommended

In Mexico, the owner will frequently allow some poor but honest employee to occupy the property, just to keep an eye on it and to keep out squatters. It seems to me that this is common in much of the RD.

It may be common, but I for one do not recommend it (at least not for a foreigner).
In this country your 'honest' employee might turn into a very nasty squatter whom to get out will cost you dearly.

Anyway, when we came here I was advised against it.
And from what I know now, it was good advice.

donP

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Nice! You are really living the life in paradise!;) That's the way to go.:)

Just an FYI: IF you do not live in a gated community, in an upscale area, development or in a campo
then you live in a barrio.

Exactly.......barrios are just another word for neighborhoods...........
El Ensueno just happens to be one of the, if not, the oldest barrio in Santiago.
My neighbors right across the street are great people.............
Chinchano is 95 and gets around like he's 35..........
And his wife Ida, who is 85 have been in the same house for 65 years...........
She loves it when I give her a kiss on the cheek and I address her as Bonita.........:classic:

Oh......and for CCCCCCCCCCCCC.......It's the cheek to the left of her mouth......lol
B in Santiago

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans refer to "Bad Neighborhoods" as a "Barrio Caliente".
Like where most of them live, and Gorgon too!
And, I AM, "Eating My Heart Out", in "Air Conditioned Comfort" thank you very much!
I needed two "covers" last night, it got down to 66 degrees here!
I didn't come here to live like a "Dominicano"!
And I DON'T!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans refer to "Bad Neighborhoods" as a "Barrio Caliente".
Like where most of them live, and Gorgon too!
And, I AM, "Eating My Heart Out", in "Air Conditioned Comfort" thank you very much!
I needed two "covers" last night, it got down to 66 degrees here!
I didn't come here to live like a "Dominicano"!
And I DON'T!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

you wish i lived in a bad neighborhood, so you could believe that you are better than me.

sorry to disappoint you. i live in a good neighborhood. now where does that leave you?

by the way, some of us don't need to live in an igloo....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
gorgon and CC, please stop. Or take it to PM.

Otherwise the wooden spoon is coming out of my apron pocket.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
and they "CAN'T"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Define,..."GOOD"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

good means different things to different people. it depends upon your priorities. anyone who lives in POP has heard of Los Maestros, and that is nowhere near to being a bad neighborhood.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
gorgon and CC, please stop. Or take it to PM.

Otherwise the wooden spoon is coming out of my apron pocket.

actually, i am flattered that a guy with so much wealth, who lives in the Dominican equivalent of Monaco, finds me to be so important that he cannot go through a single day without addressing some remarks towards me.

Apr 7, 2014
Actually my apartment was perfect...........
3 large bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, + smaller bedroom for the housekeeper................
Plus 24/7 security.........
Cons.....no Colmados, no conchos, no street venders........nada......
The house I am in is a small 3 bedroom, 2 full bath in a great area............
4 Colmados within a one minute walk..........
Taxi stand within a one minute walk............
Conchos less than a one minute walk............
Pan Lucky Bakery within a one minute walk..........
Street vendors up the ying yang.............which I love.........
All the conveniences and I pay 8 Mil a month.........
Life is good...........:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago

exactly, trinitytown is great if you are a jet-setter or somewhat high-falutin' because you never there in the residence long enough to notice what is missing at street level. And when you are in town you are exclusively in the range of Av JPD or 27 Feb. Seriously, the best part of over there is close proximity to Texas Avenue for dining. but el ensueno is very nice because Francia is suitable avenue for the quick errands or even late night weekend socializing at the Monument. I mean you can coin toss what you want to spend for your date, either cheap Brasa BBQ or Marisco Centro. I think it is only a bit more noisy and "urban" at the end where Francia terminates into Circulavacion or Hermanas Rosario or whatever that street is called. Cheap place to get your car fixed in that area also. But I d stay away from the auto sound places, most of their inventory looked like garbage to me. 8000 is a nice amount. Im almost envious. You dont live in that street with the ring of houses that looks like Fred Flinstones, Bedrock do you? Calle 5 I think it is, which the gazebo in the middle of the street? Man, I thought that was a great addition to the neighborhood...minus all the dog-crap all over the place.
That bakery is a nice place. Have you been to the meat market guy across the street? There is a butcher somewhere in that area on the other side of the street.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You can do all of the negotiating in the world, some Dominicans, if they even THINK that they can get more they will hold out for more. Even if the thought is not based on anything but a hunch. And they would rather let the house, car, solar, whatever lay and catch dust rather than go for a lower price.

There are some houses I've seen, where they are holding out YEARS...and they don't even maintain the house in those years but continually raise the price each year because they say that everything gets more expensive year after year. They'll still want top of the line price even if the house has been sitting 5 years vacant and the faucets are rusted, the yard overgrown, windows broken. It doesn't matter what the house is really worth, only what they THINK its worth.

SHALENA

SHALENA