something very ugly is going on in SD

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Disrespecting employees is something that I have never witnessed get to a physical exchange, verbal yes. I can not imagine any Dominican man taking a slap across the face, unless he was one of the drunks we have all seen making a manace of themselves. From my experience here, nothing ever oversteps the mark to physical exchange unless it is worth losing a hand or being permanently marked for.

I will say for the record that that was the first and only time I ever saw this and it was a shock. It happened 3 years ago and neither employee is still there. Again, I don't know what prompted this little cruelty session and my understanding of the language was not sufficient to give me a clue. I have however seen many instances of rudeness, Dominican to Dominican at various work environments and it seems that's just the way things go there. They tend to be much less compassionate than Europeans or N.A.'s in dealing with employees.

I have developed a habit when in the DR to always identify and acknowledge the alpha dog in any establishment. Subordinates will usually react with better service.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I read here that there will be a protest tomorrow:

Protestaran contra el envenamiento de perros en Santo Domingo | Imagenes Dominicanas

Este blog
Este blog

09 marzo 2010
Protestaran contra el envenamiento de perros en Santo Domingo
Este jueves 11 de marzo se realizar? una protesta en contra de las autoridades de salud publica (Sespas ) quienes act?an en contubernio con el Centro Antirr?bico y el ayuntamiento, envenando perros callejeros.

(Ver como apoyar esta protesta en favor de estos indefensos animales)
Yulendys Jorge hace un llamado a traves de Facebook, ?basta ya de abusos, muchos de los animales que envenenan son mejores que muchos de los pol?ticos, que son la peor lacra, alima?as que existen. Debieran de beberse un poco del fatal veneno y le har?an un bien al pa?s?

La protesta ser? a las 11:00 de la ma?ana, frente al Ministerio de Salud P?blica (SESPAS ) en las aceras de la avenida San Crist?bal esquina Tiradentes, frente al Partido Reformista, a una esquina del Estadio Quisqueya

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yulendys Jorge hace un llamado a traves de Facebook, “basta ya de abusos, muchos de los animales que envenenan son mejores que muchos de los pol?ticos, que son la peor lacra, alima?as que existen. Debieran de beberse un poco del fatal veneno y le har?an un bien al pa?s”

Priceless! - For those who don't read Spanish: "...many of the animals that are being poisoned are better than many of the politicians, who are the worst evil, vermin that exists. They should drink a bit of the fatal poison and do the country a favour".

Mar 2, 2008
Rabi has bitten many people and he is infamous for his lack of decorum. He has been known to bite people in some most unfortunate areas.

It was once believed that Rabi's bite was indiscriminate, but upon further investigation it was found that the persons he bites usually had it coming.

As evidence, one should consider the origin of the term "Mad dogs and Englishmen". It is often the case that Rabi's bite is foreshadowed by acts of idiocy and foolishness by the victim.

Food for thought.

Reactions: Bronxboy

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
This is the truly sad part. There is a culture of cruelty and it extends to all manner of animals, children, invalids, the elderly and low level employees.

I was lounging at my hotel atrium in SD one afternoon having a vino tinto and smoking a cigar when the manager of the bar walked one of the bus staff to the adjoining courtyard and very loudly berated him, ocassionaly slapping the guy across the face, very loudly. The recipient was scared to death of losing his job so he just stood there and took it.

Apparently there's some kind of "Jim Crowe" system in place there where the poor have no rights where their "superiors" are concerned. Yeah, if I was to raise a flag about cruelty to animals in the DR I'd probably start with the street children. The country's greatest natural resource (its children) is being woefully neglected and the problems associated with poverty will regenerate until this practice stops.

I'm sorry but I don't believe you the bold part. If some manager does that to any Dominican male in PUBLIC, he better have his coffin ready or his gun loaded and cocked, because that means fighting until there's a lot of blood scattered over the floor. Y e' facil, y con que cara vuelve ese hombre a la casa pa' donde su mujer.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
People eat dogs in Vietnam, Korea and parts of China and I would bet more than a few other countries.

Do they still practice cannibalism anywhere? Let's send at least 2 posters on this thread there.

Reactions: Tamborista

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
Something ugly is also going on in Cabarete regarding pets, and it's not the fault of any Dominican! Seems that condo owners feel that it is ok to just leave their cat or dog behind when they have to run home for months or permanently. I have heard of this one too many times, and now have a feline friend who has been left in our complex to fend for herself...

kitty.jpg

It's disgusting really the way some people can just up and leave a cat or dog behind. I hope karma comes back and gets them all.

Brad

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
they will not get rid of rabbis poisoning the dogs! it is a very cruel and stupid action. They need to vaccinate the dogs....because as i got informed the bats are the primary culprits spreading this disease ....
"Who gave it to the dogs?" ....
If one had seen a dog suffering from poison will not support this kind of action at all.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
ok some alphabetically challenged people just aren't getting it:

This is a rabbi:

rabbi-weiss-002.jpg

This is rabies:

rabies2.jpg

Though both have been known to spark similar reactions in some individuals, they are two very different things.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

This is a rabbi:

rabbi-weiss-002.jpg

This is rabies:

rabies2.jpg

Though both have been known to spark similar reactions in some individuals, they are two very different things.

yea but the rabbi looks tastier, especially with some lox and a cold bottle of manuschewitz

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
they will not get rid of rabbis poisoning the dogs! it is a very cruel and stupid action. They need to vaccinate the dogs....because as i got informed the bats are the primary culprits spreading this disease ....
"Who gave it to the dogs?" ....
If one had seen a dog suffering from poison will not support this kind of action at all.

It would appear that the mis-spelling of 'rabies' has turned this very serious subject into rather a humourous thread in parts which, although I also like a good laugh, there is a time and a place for everything.

Concentrating on the OP's comments though, I read recently on DR1 news that the Government are making a huge amount of rabies vaccination available for the dogs in the DR - can't find it right now as a reference though.

No-one who has any compassion would wish poisoning on any domestic creature and I think I made that point quite clear in warning people of poisoning here http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/101285-warning-re-poisoning.html

Perhaps a Moderator could separate the 'rabies' from the 'rabbis' please?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Look as I see it there are too many feral dogs here anyway. So if they want to decrease the population of feral dogs which should lower the incidence of rabies I dont see it as a serious problem. I d see it more as a public health issue if one of these feral rabid dogs should attack a young child who then succumbs to her attack because her family cannot afford to take her to a medico or cannot afford the medical treatment. That is the real issue, not how they exterminate the dogs(by poisoning, drowning or shooting-I d prefer shooting, its quicker and cleaner).

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005

This is a rabbi:

rabbi-weiss-002.jpg

This is rabies:

rabies2.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhh sorry for my misspelling!
your example made it so clear that i never ever will make that mistake!
i had to laugh so much ...
Thanks for correcting!