something very ugly is going on in SD

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The rogue dog problems obviously have various impacts depending on where you live. In the city or SD I see very few packs of dogs during the day, (although yes I hear them in territory battles with each other at night) I am unsure where they go during the day but it is very uncomon to see packs or dogs. Maybe the intense traffic is just not worth them venturing out of the den?
I lived in Sosua for a while and remember quite a few rogue dogs used to hang out day and night, and infact were seen more as pets of the masses rather than a pest. More times than I care to remember I would slam on my breaks to avoid the running battles between the two sides of Pedro Clisante, back and forth, all yap and no bite with the tiniest little furball being the instigator, loudest and bravest every time. I wonder if they are still around?
So it is important to see what are a menace and what are members of the community, for me the dogs of the top end of Pedro were great personalities and a joy to see while supping a cold one. So In my opinion the only way to control this is to allow the shooting of the animals, although the way these police and security wave guns around I expect more bystanders would end up dead than dogs.
Do they have pest control here with any real training with guns?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The rogue dog problems obviously have various impacts depending on where you live. In the city or SD I see very few packs of dogs during the day, (although yes I hear them in territory battles with each other at night) I am unsure where they go during the day but it is very uncomon to see packs or dogs. Maybe the intense traffic is just not worth them venturing out of the den?
I lived in Sosua for a while and remember quite a few rogue dogs used to hang out day and night, and infact were seen more as pets of the masses rather than a pest. More times than I care to remember I would slam on my breaks to avoid the running battles between the two sides of Pedro Clisante, back and forth, all yap and no bite with the tiniest little furball being the instigator, loudest and bravest every time. I wonder if they are still around?
So it is important to see what are a menace and what are members of the community, for me the dogs of the top end of Pedro were great personalities and a joy to see while supping a cold one. So In my opinion the only way to control this is to allow the shooting of the animals, although the way these police and security wave guns around I expect more bystanders would end up dead than dogs.
Do they have pest control here with any real training with guns?

You seem to be slightly contradicting yourself somewhere along the line.. you seemed pleased to tell us that there was a plan to operate a 'trap, neuter, release' programme which was announced for Sto. Doming area on the news, similar to the one on the North coast run by Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

And, less than 2 weeks ago you stated, regarding the bird of prey which was left with you, that 'I expect he brought it to me as most people know I am an animal lover and will do my best to help it.'

Now it sounds as though you are supporting the 'shooting of animals'. I, for one, am confused... :ermm:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I am not contradicting myself. I can be an animal lover and still support the kulling of animals. Animals have to be controlled, this is just an unavoidable fact of modern life. How we control numbers is the issue, not whether we should or not. I find shooting the dogs seen as pests is a far better solution than wiping out all with random poison points, do you not agree?

The trap neuter and release project is the perfect solution and time will take care of this if they manage to trap all rogues. My response was based towards the areas where poison points will still be in use.

Last edited:

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
on the other hand Anastacio,

what have the dogs done wrong to deserve this?

Why not kill the scums that leave there dogs in the street?
These dogs never came from nowhere, although i agree it may be a problem, but im sure your opinions would be different if people started getting shot in the face for leaving/chucking "their" dogs out into the street.

Point is the dogs have done bugger all wrong, they try to live around humans to the best of there ability, they cower when they see one because scared of getting beaten or somewhat something likewise,

shooting them or poisining them will cause uproar in the community,

Oh and to be fair, if there leaving the poison out, god forbid your child doesnt get hold of one thinking that it may be something else....

May 29, 2006
They could pay people to bring in unneutered dogs at the rate of $5 each. If you don't want your dog kidnapped and neutered, you pay $50 for a microchip/tatoo that they check before doing any process. Don't register your dog, and it's fair game.
A guy with a bitch in heat and a pick-up could make a month's pay in a couple hours. No dogs get killed.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
With response to BLACKRAINBOW, I like your ideal, unfortunately this is not the world we live in and so such debate (although fair and interesting) is worthless in the real debate. We do not live in a world where animals and humans are equal entities, and so speaking of the best to do with as bad situation is always worth more than speaking of the ideal for the minority.
I agree with your points, the dogs have done nothing and deserve better.