Sosua Beach Bar's Closing?

GreyGhost

Jun 4, 2003
Advice from the boarders

Ok, I would like Escott, Robert, Cris Colon, Hillbilly, Bushbaby, Azb, Ken, Rocky, Cleef, Sophie, Anna to help me out here! What the hell is going on? Is it safe to be around right after a transfer in power? Monday 8/16 Do I need kevlar? :classic:

GG

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Party time.

GreyGhost said:
Ok, I would like Escott, Robert, Cris Colon, Hillbilly, Bushbaby, Azb, Ken, Rocky, Cleef, Sophie, Anna to help me out here! What the hell is going on? Is it safe to be around right after a transfer in power? Monday 8/16 Do I need kevlar? :classic:

GG
Always has been in the past.
I don't see why it would be any different this time, in fact, one might think that there would be jubilation in the streets to be finally rid of the present government.
If you are in a tourist town, you won't even know that anything is happening.
If you are in a major city, you may see some celebrating.
Of course, this is just my humble opinion and my crystal ball ain't working right now.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
GreyGhost said:

GG

Yes, no reason to be concerned. Most people are looking forward to the change, believing that under the new administration things are going to start getting better.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I look forward to Leonel taking over!!!!

I think he did a good job last time.He is a US educated "Technocrat".If he can implement the reforms he advocated in his pre-election speechs,he is on the right track!
After all,he can't do worse than "Hipolito" now can he??
Cris colon

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You won't have TIME to see any problems even if there ARE some (as everyone else says - unless it is celebrations). 'Keep your head down' only refers to when swinging!!! 'Keep it up the middle' will NOT be a political comment! Shouts of 'Good Shot' will NOT be to passing police or military with firearms!! 'OK, your OFF' will not (I hope) be reference to your body odour!!

Come & have fun & let us long-term idiots worry about future (not present) difficulties which might start in March/April of next year if things don't get better by then!! - Grahame.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
GreyGhost said:
This is very complexing!! I am visiting from the US next week! I am planning to stay in Sosua for 5 days,

1-- should I make other plans?

2-- who wants to deal with corrupt anarchy BS on their Vacation?

3--It is sad that the people in the DR have to deal with this over and over! Maybe in our lifetime you will have a President working for the people! Be proud as a Dominican! Your leaders make it hard for you to enjoy life and prosper!

4-- any alternatives to go or this is not going to be a problem?
No problems whatsoever in Sosua. Life is going on just as it always has been going on. Matter of fact I am going to the Grand Opening of the Newest and ONLY 2 story beach bar in Sosua tonight. It is only by invitation so unless you have one you wont be getting in.

Then you can read the posts of others and news on another Message board where the Army and Bulldozers are gathered at the gate which is BS. Nothing is going on here other than business as usual.

Everything is the same in Sosua as it was 3 months ago except it is a little busier, the convention center is a bit bigger, there are more people in town and we have the same people making like the sky is falling and that I am incompetant and broke:)

Call me when you get to town and I will buy you a beer and challange you to show me any unrest or problems in Sosua or Cabarete. 223-1178

Escott

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Jane J. said:
If Tommy Phillips wanted to give the park to the town, how strange that the government would have to pay for it.
It wasn't donated but appropriated by the government, who never paid the owner. Since they never paid the land returned to its rightful owner (or his heirs).

No dog in this fight, but the article is pretty clear.

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Casetas, a sad end ?

Regarding the casetas and their probable disappearance I must say I have mixed feelings.

If one sees the the things in a purely economic point of view, these casetas must indeed disappear and be replaced by "modern" bars, restaurants and shops, such as in Cabarete. This brings much more money than these half empty bars.
Nevertheless, these casetas provide jobs to many poor dominicans and that's the reason why I think they should remain as is. The social aspect should not be neglected. All theses future new bars etc will never provide so many jobs as the current casetas.
They furthermore contribute to the unique athmosphere of Sosua. Should one dislike them, may is it better to go somewhere else, there are so many beaches in the country. I'm not sure everyone will accept (or just will have enough money) to pay 25 US $ for a meal ont the beach, as this is the case in Cabarete. Do you know many places where one can eat on the beach for less than 200 pesos (5.5 USD) ?

Everyone is posting about the legal aspect of their existance. But seriously, who cares about laws is this country ?? The outgoing government is a bunch of thieves who borrowed billions US $ just to pauperize the country and make themselves rich. Do you really think dominican leaders, whoever they are, will take into account the fact those shops are on the beach since so many years ? I remember the exactly same issue 4 years ago and saw a protest in front of the ayuntamiento where the former Sindico was standing on the roof of a car with a megaphone ans shouting "Preferimos morir con las armas en la mano que morir de hambre". I could see I was in a movie :ermm:

I think the casetas will disappear one day, this is unfortunately in the logic of the development, but I am afraid there will remain blood on the sand :dead:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Let's summarize....

Crossposted to the thread about the Bulldozing of structures between Sosua and Cabarete

The Cabarete Incident.
Buildings and homes along the road between Sosua and Cabarete were bulldozed. Lots of police and army types around, armed to the teeth. Teargas? One report which no-one so far could verify. A family member of ours went by while this was happening and certainly did not observe any teargas. There are few facts available on this incident, eg. why and who? Did people have right to the land that they lived on? We don't know. We have no facts. The area is now being cleaned obviously for new construction.

The Sosua Casitas.
There are two 'sets' of casitas, the ones along the road to the beach, and the ones on the beach. The article from Listin explains the situation with the Casitas on the road to the beach - obviously the land belongs to someone else, and the Casitas are being asked to move - a type of 'due process' is taking place here.
Another website reported that the army with bulldozers are standing by to bulldoze the casitas - not sure which set of casitas. There were no army standing by, no bulldozers, nada. There is no army today, there was no army yesterday or the days and weeks before.

The Cabarete Incident and the Sosua Casita story is not linked in my opinion.

Life in Cabarete is continuing as normal.
Life in Sosua is continuing as normal.

Is the situation dangerous? No! not at this stage. Will the situation become dangerous. Read your cristal ball!

Currently, situation is normal. Visitors, come on down, enjoy this lovely country and all it has it offer.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
El Belga said:
Regarding the casetas and their probable disappearance I must say I have mixed feelings.

If one sees the the things in a purely economic point of view, these casetas must indeed disappear and be replaced by "modern" bars, restaurants and shops, such as in Cabarete. This brings much more money than these half empty bars.
Nevertheless, these casetas provide jobs to many poor dominicans and that's the reason why I think they should remain as is. The social aspect should not be neglected. All theses future new bars etc will never provide so many jobs as the current casetas.
They furthermore contribute to the unique athmosphere of Sosua. Should one dislike them, may is it better to go somewhere else, there are so many beaches in the country. I'm not sure everyone will accept (or just will have enough money) to pay 25 US $ for a meal ont the beach, as this is the case in Cabarete. Do you know many places where one can eat on the beach for less than 200 pesos (5.5 USD) ?

Everyone is posting about the legal aspect of their existance. But seriously, who cares about laws is this country ?? The outgoing government is a bunch of thieves who borrowed billions US $ just to pauperize the country and make themselves rich. Do you really think dominican leaders, whoever they are, will take into account the fact those shops are on the beach since so many years ? I remember the exactly same issue 4 years ago and saw a protest in front of the ayuntamiento where the former Sindico was standing on the roof of a car with a megaphone ans shouting "Preferimos morir con las armas en la mano que morir de hambre". I could see I was in a movie :ermm:

I think the casetas will disappear one day, this is unfortunately in the logic of the development, but I am afraid there will remain blood on the sand :dead:
Well if you think that casitas should stay on land belonging to others maybe you should just buy the land from the rightful owners and let them live on your dime?

You do of course have the money to lay out so 400 people can work rent free, right? Well just get it done instead of making silly posts on a message board, after all you have 400 jobs to protect.

What has a corrupt country have to do with this situation is beyond me!

If I don't like the beach in Sosua I will certainly go somewhere else without your suggestion to.

GreyGhost

Jun 4, 2003
private party

Escott said:
No problems whatsoever in Sosua. Life is going on just as it always has been going on. Matter of fact I am going to the Grand Opening of the Newest and ONLY 2 story beach bar in Sosua tonight. It is only by invitation so unless you have one you wont be getting in.

Then you can read the posts of others and news on another Message board where the Army and Bulldozers are gathered at the gate which is BS. Nothing is going on here other than business as usual.

Everything is the same in Sosua as it was 3 months ago except it is a little busier, the convention center is a bit bigger, there are more people in town and we have the same people making like the sky is falling and that I am incompetant and broke:)

Call me when you get to town and I will buy you a beer and challange you to show me any unrest or problems in Sosua or Cabarete. 223-1178

Escott

Escott,
I love parties! When is this private party? I'll be in town on the 20th, looking forward to hanging around the beach. I will call you and take you up on that beer........and then I'll buy you two. You guys are great and I enjoy reading your posts! Thanks again! EVERYONE!!! :rambo:

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Escott,

You confuse me...

First you write things like..
For those of you who think 150 shops of the same stuff is culture I guess I have a difference of opinion.
Frankly the only thing they have to protest is their own poor judgement knowing full well they bought the last persons rights only and nothing underneath.

Then you come back with...
Matter of fact I am going to the Grand Opening of the Newest and ONLY 2 story beach bar in Sosua tonight. It is only by invitation so unless you have one you wont be getting in.

From your posts you sound like you don't support these businesses, yet you go to their events?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I don't think anyone has a right to do a taking of property of others.

If they are allowed to stay there I will use what they offer. If they are forced to leave I won't and not think "poor them" when they all know the score.

What are you confused about? I think they should have a meeting with the people that own the land and get a final date where they should be out. Then they should be out on that date and not bitch or complain. Simple, the land belongs to someone else and not them and the people that own it have the right to do whatever it is that they want to do with THEIR land.

Regards

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Escott said:
You do of course have the money to lay out so 400 people can work rent free, right? Well just get it done instead of making silly posts on a message board, after all you have 400 jobs to protect.

From talking to some of the shopowners a few days ago, I am under the impression that (at least some) pay rent for their shops. The person who specifically told me he paid rent was on the road. Perhaps he was lieing, but I doubt it. It could be he was paying rent to someone who didn't own what they were renting, but that still isn't working 'rent free'.

BTW, one vendor who I spoke with said that if they bulldozed his shop, he was prepared to die to defend it. This was one of the larger and nicer looking shops in the parking lot area. I hope that no one gets hurt in all of this.

Amalek

Jul 31, 2004
Danny W said:
Translation please!

Machinetranslated. Errors may appear:

The salespersons of the beach of Sos?a carried out a day of protests before the threat that they would be ousted by order of the lawyer of the State, receiving a petition of the business Coralillo S. A. that would be based on a sentence of the Supreme Cut of Justice. The members of the Craft Salespersons Association of the Beach of Sos?a, and the Association of Owners of Gift Shops Gregorio Luper?n of The Batey, they denounced that despite possess titles of property of those lands intends to oust them of the place. Winston Sena Castle and Ram?n Emilio Tav?rez presidents of both companies accused Ian Schambri to despoil it of the spaces that occupy for more than 30 years protected in a presidential decree. Sena Castle affirmed that at present they count on a total of 391 persons that operate in the place with more than 1,500 persons that depend on the business installed there. In turn the lawyer of the associations of salespersons Dr. Alfonso Cris?stomo affirmed that themselves tried to surprise al lawyer of the State who did not know until Monday the existence of the titles of property of the lands while the plaintiffs barely have a letter constancy. It affirmed that the property of the lands is incontrastablemente of the gentlemen Ram?n Gonz?lez who possesses 1,000 mts2, according to the number title certificate 9 emitted November 15, the 2002 and Antonio Henr?quez who possesses 361 mts2, according to the certificate number 3 sent off May 25, the 2002 and the corresponding demarcations. It indicated that the existence of a supposed sentence is alleged, but that the owners were not cited, for the audiences neither the same one was notified them. Wednesday the salespersons were declared set against the installations of the hotel Sos?a bay Club, property of the chain Starz Resorts that has like executive president al mister Ian Schambri. Cris?stomo indicated that two requests presented before the lawyer of the State exist, a to name of Dorsa, S. A., and a to name of Coralillo S. A. this last would be the reception by the lawyer of the State to arrange the I oust of the salespersons. It in turn the main shareholder of Starz Resorts, the Italian investor Arming Casciati untied to that business of the dispute by the lands, affirming that itself it is not explained why it is involved in the same one. It complained that employed of the hotel have been threatened, even with burning them for a herd of people that seek algun type of retaliation. It said that up to now they do not know that it went to carry out some type of I oust there: "because up to now it there was an I oust in Cabarete, with which we we have nothing to do, I expect that neither of that they are accusing us". Casciati said besides that: "there was no I oust down here, of which do not we have no interest, I, and I speak as greater shareholder of this complex, do not I have no title of property, neither himself of whom is, whether Coralillo, Dorsa, thirty-six, do not I understand well as are able 50 persons to be owners of the same piece of land". He said that the hotel and the company operator have nothing to do with the supposed one I oust, and only wants that they leave tranquil to their employed al time to indicate that it does not understand as is affected other persons by a coflicto with another. It expressed that some months ago they threw a stone to its car because passed for a place where there was a protest by the blackouts and was asked "?But that I have I that to see with that that there is not light?" It declared that they have had to close a store that had of the adjacent side al hotel due to the threats that they did the girl that it attended it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Thebes said:
From talking to some of the shopowners a few days ago, I am under the impression that (at least some) pay rent for their shops. The person who specifically told me he paid rent was on the road. Perhaps he was lieing, but I doubt it. It could be he was paying rent to someone who didn't own what they were renting, but that still isn't working 'rent free'.

BTW, one vendor who I spoke with said that if they bulldozed his shop, he was prepared to die to defend it. This was one of the larger and nicer looking shops in the parking lot area. I hope that no one gets hurt in all of this.
There are people paying rent to others that do NOT own the ground that these stand on. They buy from people and you can buy one today and then say it is yours. Then you rent it and collect rent monies.

Let me rent you the Brooklyn Bridge. You can then collect tolls in both directions. I will rent it to you very cheap except you have to give me the money all at once.

What difference does it make if they are paying rent albeit not to the person that owns the land? The land owner is the one that is suffering as I see it.

I hope no one gets hurt also but this is the DR. If they pull out guns they will be shot and thrown in the ocean without a further thought. Dominicans get killed in the DR by Dominican Cops all the time and it is not unusual. Is it wrong? Who cares what you or I think, it wont change the way things happen in this country. Go read up on the thread where AZB had a stinkin radio stolen. They arrested 50 tigres and beat the bejesus out of them. That is the way things are done here.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Escott said:
I hope no one gets hurt also but this is the DR. If they pull out guns they will be shot and thrown in the ocean without a further thought. Dominicans get killed in the DR by Dominican Cops all the time and it is not unusual. Is it wrong? Who cares what you or I think, it wont change the way things happen in this country. Go read up on the thread where AZB had a stinkin radio stolen. They arrested 50 tigres and beat the bejesus out of them. That is the way things are done here.

You are serious? I never observed ANYTHING like this, but I have only spent three holidays in the Domincan. I understand from these events that we will not visit in the near future

I hope you all do well, but I choose not to vaction in this atmosphere

thank you for pointing this out, I was very confused at different opinions, but this does seem quite clear

A>