SOSUA - not safety any more?

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
smoky said:
To all members here in the forum whom are living on the north coast (Sosua-Cabarete):
I heard rumors in the street now. But nobody will tell details or say it loud.
-Last week just on one day they have stolen 5 cars in Sosua.
-La Mulata start getting visitors by night again. Burglars are active again.
-Lomas Mironas: dominican thiefs have killed a haitian watchman (strangulated)when they deinstall an inversor
Problem on most webpages: they have a lot of promotion from real estate agents. And specially this clients don't like this to be published. Would be great to get details.
:glasses:

Did our good friend AZB get one of his Santiago friends to say this?

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Yes there's crime in Sosua. There's crime in Greenland. The way people dispose of each other up there is much worse than what you hear from Sosua.
It's like every week there's a new thread on crime in Sosua and yet it doesn't seem like it's getting any worse than it was last week or 4 weeks ago or 6 months ago. In the future I'll just pass on reading these 'crime in Sosua'-threads. They are a waste of time. :tired: And they wont change my mind, I will still go back to Sosua now and then.

When I saw the bored sleeping smilie in Malibooks Title I knew we share the same opinion on this thread :laugh:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I had to chuckle...

while reading this thread.

It's no different than when we told our friends we had bought a house in the DR. They said "aren't you afraid of the Haitians?" and I said: How can you live in Kentucky, what with all the crime in St. Louis?"

I've never felt afraid on the streets at night in Sosua. As with any town anywhere in the world, you just have to use common sense.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Price for a hit

Sixteen years ago, you could have someone killed for 50 pesos. Today? The problem in Sosua, as in any tourist resort, is that what do the natives have to lose?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
JanH said:

It's no different than when we told our friends we had bought a house in the DR. They said "aren't you afraid of the Haitians?" and I said: How can you live in Kentucky, what with all the crime in St. Louis?"

I've never felt afraid on the streets at night in Sosua. As with any town anywhere in the world, you just have to use common sense.
Very true, buttt if you lived in New York, would you pick Harlem or the Bronx or would you live in Manhatan? I have been to Haiti servrral times, other that being poorer, the people are much the same. I saw no threat.
Anywhere you go...it's a good idea to watch your back....if you don't have someone to watch it for you.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Where there's smoky there's firy?

PS sorry, couldn't help it, am trying to get my post count to a thousand for the party. :)

d

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
Funny people are around here.
The posting about the robbery in Juan Dolio brings very good results and thanks a tip from Mirador we are much further.
Concerning the rumors: I?ve heard it from one guy, working in real estate. His words: Now we have almost every night something in La Mulata...if that continue we will have again a problem to sell there...
So far his interests and his mind. I remember the wave of robberies in La Mulata almost 2-3 years ago. It start in La Mulata. In one house they can get a Pumpgun, and with this one the gang of thiefs went next day to Caribbean Hills. 3 guys, 2 pistols and a pumpgun in their hands. They raped two ladies, killed one guy (Joachim G.) and left. This guys and some friends have been involved in robberies in La Mulata before.
So, now I will hear in the Bronx it is more dangerous.
Thanks for this informations. But I like to be in alert when the sh.. start again.
And it is allways good to be informed. Ok, I will not ask any more, for me it is a serious case - no fun. I have lost a friend. And yes, also I had 2 times visitors in my house. Thanks god I was not home.
But when something start in the neighbourhood it would be fine to have informations. I understand now: Americans are the great cowboys. I hope your guns will help you.
And one thing is for shure: the small crime in streets is not my interest at all. Someone who is going out by night knows what he is doing and what can be dangerous. And yes, this happen allover the world.
In fact, comparing with the difference between the rich and the poor people we have less crime than on other places.
And about postings: I would like to do more positive . . . but I have to go first to LT or San Rafael or Paraiso to talk about the beautiful places

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ggn420 said:
Very true, buttt if you lived in New York, would you pick Harlem or the Bronx or would you live in Manhatan? I have been to Haiti servrral times, other that being poorer, the people are much the same. I saw no threat.
Anywhere you go...it's a good idea to watch your back....if you don't have someone to watch it for you.
Harlem is Manhattan. It is becoming a white neighborhood or at least mixed upto about 140th St. People cant afford to live south.

I think you may find Haiti a bit more of a threat in recent years.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
JanH said:

I see you are back to posting here other than spamming your house rental. Guess you aren't welcome anymore on the DARK side with the rest of the Petty people? They knock Casa Linda also?

Sorry but had to do it:) Welcome back!

There is crime all over and it is ugly when it happens to you or even close to you. Darn thing is that it happens all over the place. Turn on NETWORK NEWS and that is what you see as the headlines there because it sells newspapers.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wonder if the posters who claim criminals are rampant in Sosua are hoping to get those of us who are happily living there to sell our property cheap to them?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ken said:
I wonder if the posters who claim criminals are rampant in Sosua are hoping to get those of us who are happily living there to sell our property cheap to them?
I was actually thinking about asking him if he was interested in selling his investments to me so he can leave. Hey what do you have and how much do you want for it.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
I see you are back to posting here other than spamming your house rental. Guess you aren't welcome anymore on the DARK side with the rest of the Petty people? They knock Casa Linda also?

Sorry but had to do it:) Welcome back!

There is crime all over and it is ugly when it happens to you or even close to you. Darn thing is that it happens all over the place. Turn on NETWORK NEWS and that is what you see as the headlines there because it sells newspapers.

Other than crime, we have a great big cultural gap here. JanH, Escott does not mean to be rude. He is just a New Yorker and they have no couth... That was just a New York welcome in a New York Minute! Welcome back! Nice to see you posting.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Chris said:
Other than crime, we have a great big cultural gap here. JanH, Escott does not mean to be rude. He is just a New Yorker and they have no couth... That was just a New York welcome in a New York Minute! Welcome back! Nice to see you posting.
What part of what I typed do you NOT agree with? I am not rude. Rude is talking about people when they are not around.

JanH give my regards to Glowworm, your hubby. He has a penchant of talking at others where they wont defend themselves even as he is bailing his *** out with you.

You said you would never post here. Guess never is just another BS abstraction, huh?

Hey, dirtbags are dirtbags anywhere in the world.
Gracias,
Escott

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
But Anna?

Anna Coniglio said:
I'm old, slow moving and an easy target and I've never worried about being in Sosua even when I've walked alone!

Knock on wood. :nervous:

Anna is it true that you have a 9MM fixed in to the end of your cane?

Gringo

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Funny anecdote. I was talking with a guy I have met before who lives in Santo Domingo. He was complaining that in the past three years he has been in a half dozen fights and had a gun pulled on him four or five times.

I mentioned that I've lived here for three years, been in every part of the city (some places that I shouldn't have been) and have never had a problem.

The difference: he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and indirectly looks for it. Well, if you are looking for trouble you will always find it.

I have always said that the DR is a place where sometimes you have to stick your chest out and be macho and sometimes you have to swallow your pride and keep a low profile. The trick is figuring out when to do which.

Scandall