Source of heat for hotwater

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
We've had the electric shower head system and..........we're still here :cheeky:. Also had an electric calentadora but we switched to solar for the hot water only and are very happy with it. It halved the electricity bill & we always have hot water (minus a few days when it rained five days non-stop).

Adrianb, I think it best to ignore Skippy's remark about HB. He's very new & despite his 36 years experience in electrical engineering he managed to get himself in this position
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/73366-edesur-supply-not-supply.html
so............he's still at the stage of needing to adjust his undoubted theoretical & practical experience to the realities of life in the DR. And that adjustment is quite subtle and only comes with time. I guess that's where the 40 years experience comes in handy, eh?;)
And Skippy, go easy on criticising one of the most respected members of DR1. These things usually lead to a pointless fight.

Dear Lambada

My original post was very tongue in cheek and was posted as a humourous anecdote. As for your friend he is respected by me too just not when he talks about electrical safety.........I hope you would at least accept I have been nothing but polite and measured in everything I have said.
Glad to hear you have had a good experience with the water heater by the way ...however my advice would still remain the same.

Fight who wants a fight?.........

Skippy1

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks Lambada, you're right, good link to the Edesur thread.

Skippy1, my apologies if I riled you. I would just encourage you to post evidence for your assertions in future.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks Lambada, you're right, good link to the Edesur thread.

Skippy1, my apologies if I riled you. I would just encourage you to post evidence for your assertions in future.

apology accepted and reciprocated.

have a nice day and becarful in that shower now!

Skippy1

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Suarezn

I beg to differ, works great. I get excellent sun so mine can scald you. Plenty of hot water. Three (3) showers at a time.

The one I bought was $1200 USD installed. Working for 5 years now.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
From your link: "In 75% of all cases the elctric appliance was a hair dryer"

This article is about electrocution in the bathtub, not using an electric shower heater.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
like i said its the first one that came up. the principle is the same....
fault or accindent shock along with no safety devices = death.

Could
i ask you one thing ....check one of those units to see if it has an earth or ground cable connected inside....many dont.
Then check in your consumer unit or dist board and see if the earth ground is connected to the casing.

if you are able or know someone who measure the loop impeadence to check if the earth or griund actually exists at the incoming supply.

if the answer is no please dont use anything electrical in the wet areas of the home.

only giving advise not looking for a fight....

skippy!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Skippy1, I am happy to discuss this with you, however you will need to present better research than you have presented so far.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Skippy1, I am happy to discuss this with you, however you will need to present better research than you have presented so far.

Ok you wont accept my advice or that of a British Coroner or even accept the comment of the a memeber or the British Health and safety Executive what more can I say.

Perhaps I need to be here a bit longer ...hey?

Skippy1

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Skippy, you need to produce evidence of fatalities in DR using these shower heads. I'm afraid the British experience isn't much good because UK works on 240 volts & here it's 110 so somewhat different (I speak as a Brit not as an electrician). Yes we all know about the earthing required for these units. I think what Adrian was asking for was evidence that they produce a lot of fatalities in DR. Now we know illegal reconnection (to the high tension cables etc) has its fair share of fatalities because we read the Domincan papers & know locals whose families have been affected, but shower heads.............?

I can understand your concerns however. I was leery at first of the mix of electricity and water because I, too, had been brought up to believe they weren't a good combination. But I've heard of very few fatalities via the shower head, here in DR, so I'd be interested in your evidence, too.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I would also be happy to see evidence from Brazil or Colombia or another developing country using similar units to the ones we have here. If it is a big trend I am sure it is well documented.

I am not defending any position - I just want to know the truth.

This discussion is similar to the propane vs gasoline thread. Lots of emotional posts from the first world of bad things that might happen but little clear evidence.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
ok Lambada a fellow Brit by the sound of it.
UK voltage is 240v and yes here in theory it is 110v however its not most supplies come into the home at 220v polyphase as it is known abit like three phase in the UK but with one missing. we wont argue about 20v here shall we.

Even 110v can kill in the right circumstances ...like soaking wet in a shower.
The best supply voltage is 110v center tapped to earth I wont go into too much detail but effectively it is only 55v only so you cant die as easily all electricity is dangerous even 24v ac can kill you its not the voltage that does the damage its the current that passes through the body and its route....ie across the chest is worse than up the leg and out knee.

But I have got the message loud and clear DR1 is the protected eviron for some members only...new comers not welcome unless you act stupid and give all the older members a laugh by asking stupid questions.
Anyone with any experience or knowledge must first pass the I have lived here through 3 hurricans bit. Its not a problem for me I can amuse myself elswhere.

Skippy1

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a Bosche system installed. I have had it over two years and it works great.

My friend is an Electrician from Germany and installed it for me along with a plumber.

The Electrician has lived here for 14 years. He said that he would never use an electric showerhead here or install one for someone. He also said that they are not allowed in Germany because they are unsafe.

Maybe he is wrong, but I would rather gamble with money than my life.

Just my 2 pesos, and I am not saying it is carved in stone either.

Mar 2, 2008
I see some very intelligent people getting excited about something that is subjective. Obviously, mixing electricity with water is contrary to most people's sensibilities; I mean, try pi**ing on an electric fence sometime.

But it is equally obvious that the hot water device used in many showers in Latin American are not a real threat, when installed correctly.

Skippy and Hillbilly both have legitimate points of view, and both are basing their opinions on the facts as they see them. They both have presented their opinions clearly, honestly, and without any hidden agenda, and both are correct, one in theory and one in practice. I guess it's up to each individual to choose the method that makes the most sense in their particular situation.

I hate to see good people agrue over personal preferences.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Skippy has made his agenda very clear.

I think that the Oringinal Poster and question has been answered and that he is a big enough boy to make his own assessment. If not, he can ask another question.

Ringo

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I have a small electric tank which takes ages to heat up and runs out of water quickly. I currently use an overhead electric showerhead which is 110V (apparently the 220V ones aren't safe). The 220V showerhead I used to have was a good hot shower. The 110V showerhead sucks because the water isn't hot. And I don't like the electricity/water combination even though I think it is generally safe.

I am shortly going to switch to a gas water heater because I want an unlimited supply of REAL hot water. I don't know what kind of gas it is, I assume the gas similar to from the stove. I didn't know about the carbon monoxide issue and hope to find a solution. The posts above are very helpful, thanks.

How did Adrianb go from this position?
(apparently 220v aren't safe) and also (I don't like the electricity water combination) caveat: (although I think it is generally safe) to basically telling me I did not know what I was talking about.

Ringo what agenda please enlighten me?

I tried to give good honest clear advice thats all.

Skippy1

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Hillbilly, unfortunately you have no credibility with Skippy1. :)

Skippy1: if there there are many deaths from electrocution from these electric showers, could you please point us to some links with evidence.

Lambada maybe you didnt read these posts

Skippy1