Spanish Rock!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You're reaching -- Uhm.. over reaching

diablorojo said:
.....Malcolm X Day is a bank holiday in the South African Republic, ....

Uhm... no. Not as far as the South African's are concerned - where do you get your info from? Following are the South African holidays... and.. uhm, check out that Day of Reconciliation buddy... It actually means something over there...
Maybe you can keep the political commentary down and talk about music.... or talk about a day of reconciliation. It starts at the bottom y'know, not at the top.... And I played blues in South Africa, black blues, in protest concerts while you were still sucking mama's tit.

1 January New Year?s Day
21 March Human Rights Day
18 April Good Friday (Friday before Easter Sunday)
21 April Family Day (Monday after Easter Sunday)
27 April** Freedom Day
1 May Workers Day
16 June Youth Day
9 August National Women?s Day
24 September Heritage Day
16 December Day of Reconciliation
25 December Christmas Day
26 December Day of Goodwill

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Since the late 1960?s, during the month of May, African people around the world celebrate African Liberation Day and Malcolm X?s Birthday.....May 19.....

Stick to the topic..... if you know nothing about it then just don't respond, but stop changing it......

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: You're reaching -- Uhm.. over reaching

Chris said:

1 January New Year?s Day
21 March Human Rights Day
18 April Good Friday (Friday before Easter Sunday)
21 April Family Day (Monday after Easter Sunday)
27 April** Freedom Day
1 May Workers Day
16 June Youth Day
9 August National Women?s Day
24 September Heritage Day
16 December Day of Reconciliation
25 December Christmas Day
26 December Day of Goodwill

You missed Kwanzaa:nervous:

Anyhoo,
The devil does have a point in Latin American cinema is very rich. Although I disagree in his view of Dominican Cinema. It still is immature, I think because there has not been a single piece of cinematic work that has shown any sort of innovation in style or genre. There is hope though. There are lots of kids starting to take interest in short film, scripts, photography and ilustration, I think this new talent has better possibilities to present a decent piece of work.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
If you're going to inject your little idiotic know-nothing poltical comments in an unrelated thread you are going th get called on it. So be prepared to defend yourself.

I notice you still have not answered the questions posed you. Why I wonder? Another interesting thing here is that you called my direct quotes of you "out-of-contex". That's not out-of-context, you posted it, it's a direct quote.

Thank you for confirming my opinion of you, Joseita.

Welcome back sock-puppet!

Tom (aka XR)

Edited to add:
P.S.
Make you a deal. And I'll bet pesos to dollars you can't keep it DiablaRoja/Joseita. I won't post another thing here if you confine yourself to the topic diosamusical started of "Spanish Rock" without any poltical asides. If you do, I will open another DiablaRoja/Joseita thread with all of your political comments so we can discuss those properly without disturbing CC's sleep. Whaddya say? Can you do it? I don't think so but I am willing to be surprised! Kwanzaa an African holiday. You're a scream!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
diablorojo said:
Since the late 1960?s, during the month of May, African people around the world celebrate African Liberation Day and Malcolm X?s Birthday.....May 19.....

Stick to the topic..... if you know nothing about it then just don't respond, but stop changing it......

Hey, I'm not making these erroneous comments, you are. Which website did you get the "African people around the world from." African people around the world have their own heros. In Africa, they do not celebrate "African" liberation day, or Malcolm X's birthday. In America they do celebrate these occasions. Comes from having to almost 'invent' a history.

Let's get back to music.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Keith R[/B] said:
There's just one problem with that theory, Tony -- "Chocolate" was released in 1993, while "Bridges" was released in 1995. So if there's any imitation (and frankly, I don't see how the two films relate in your mind), it's Bridges imitating Chocolate....
Like Water for Chocolate imitating what?! :confused: THAT'S a stretch! Those movies have nothing in commom, at least no more than what they have in common with any version of Romeo and Juliet. Keith is right on target.

I suspect that Tony didn't see either movie.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Pib said:
Like Water for Chocolate imitating what?! :confused: THAT'S a stretch! Those movies have nothing in commom, at least no more than what they have in common with any version of Romeo and Juliet. Keith is right on target.

I suspect that Tony didn't see either movie.

When I compared those movies I was just pointing out that they were both silly "Chick Flicks" with no real artistic merit.

Yes I did see Like water for Chocolate. Above average cinematography. Sappy story.
I started to watch Bridges but after a 1/2 hour waiting for Clint Eastwood to shoot the Bitch i couldn't stand it anymore!

Pib tell me how bridges is a version of Romeo and Juliet?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Keith R said:
Drivel??? Geez, have you read many of the works of the authors I mentioned, preferably in their original Spanish or Portuguese???? Cien a?os? El laberinto de la soledad? La muerte de Artemio Cruz? Os Sert?es? Ficciones? El Aleph? (Borges may not be everyone's cup of tea, but hardly qualifies as drivel!) Gabriela, Cravo e Canela? Cac?o?

DRIVEL!

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
XanaduRanch said:
Thank you for confirming my opinion of you, Joseita.

Welcome back sock-puppet!

Tom (aka XR)

Edited to add:
P.S.
Make you a deal. And I'll bet pesos to dollars you can't keep it DiablaRoja/Joseita. I won't post another thing here if you confine yourself to the topic diosamusical started of "Spanish Rock" without any poltical asides. If you do, I will open another DiablaRoja/Joseita thread with all of your political comments so we can discuss those properly without disturbing CC's sleep. Whaddya say? Can you do it? I don't think so but I am willing to be surprised! Kwanzaa an African holiday. You're a scream!
XR, I know you miss him plenty, but if you're referring to Joseito, you're wrong, he's not diablorojo. Get over him already.

KeithR: All the Latin American authors you mention are excellent. Besides Dona Flor y Sus Dos Maridos and Gabriela, Clavo y Canela, can you recommend anything else by Jorge Amado? Thanks!

diablorojo: Do you know where I can find in either VHS or DVD format "Macu, La Mujer del Policia"? I saw that film a few years ago, and I'd love to see it again. Neither Blockbuster nor my local library has it. Thanks!

-Indie

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
So, let's make it clear. You did not really watch "Bridges", right?

Romeo and Juliet et al.
Basic plot:
*Boy meets girl (Introduce no-no for their relationship).
*Boy cannot have girl (introduce attempts to change their "fate")
*Boy (and/or girl) end(s) up dead before he/she/they ever have a chance.
*Rinse and repeat.

That's to the extent that all these stories have in common. Nothing else.

And to repeat Keith's question. Did you read ANY of the books you called drivel. Just to know.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Pib said:
So, let's make it clear. You did not really watch "Bridges", right?

And to repeat Keith's question. Did you read ANY of the books you called drivel. Just to know.

I told you I couldn't watch more than a 1/2 hour of that crap! Who cares? Do you consider Bridges a masterpiece of cinema or something?

Watch Casablanca and see how a real Love Story should be told.

Yes Pib I have read many of those books. I have given up on most of that Left wing, Flowery, pretenscious drivel.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Indie said:
XR, I know you miss him plenty, but if you're referring to Joseito, you're wrong, he's not diablorojo. Get over him already.
Joseita's welfare queen girlfriend responds and defends DiablaRoja. All the more more evidence that we have a sock puppet among us.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Pib,
I told you I couldn't watch more than a 1/2 hour of that crap! Who cares? Do you consider Bridges a masterpiece of cinema or something?
As far as I can tell the plot of Bridges is about some Ugly, old, married, Slut who bangs some wuss Photographer. Who thought it was a good Idea to cast Clint Eastwood as a National Geographic Photographer on a assignment of taking pictures of covered bridges?

Yes Pib I have read many of those books. I have given up on most of that Left wing, Flowery, pretenscious drivel now.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Usually when I compare two things, or say that one imitates the other it's because I know both things. Half an hour of a 2 hours, 15 minutes movie, well...

I did not say that "Bridges" was a masterpiece. It wasn't my cup of tea, but at least I saw it to know I didn't like it too much and to know it's nowhere near "Como agua..." except for the "boy meets girl, etc." part.

Casablanca? great movie. I hope that we do not start making copies of it because it is a great movie. Or just stop filming love stories because there was once a great one. More love stories remain untold, some will suck, some will not. "Como agua..." is a different story (and a book) that was good in its own merits.

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Whoever Joseito is, I'm not him......but if we have things in common, I'd like to speak with that person, he sounds pretty intelligent :)

Indie---I don't know where you can get a copy of that movie......have you tried looking at some website that sells Latin American films??

When you look at Latin American cinema you have to understand the intellectual undercurrents that the film entails, when you understand the ideological, cultural, and temporal context, you'll be able to understand the movie better......unless you understand these things then you will simply compare the movies to western ones and not gain any real understanding of them......

If you want a good Dominican movie check out "In the Time of the Butterflies" by Mariano Barroso.... its a true story of the three Mirabal sisters who, in 1960, were murdered for their part in an underground plot to overthrow the Trujillito government. Its a pretty recent movie......

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
For those of you who want to experience the best movies in the Spanish language.....I heavilly recommend anything by the Spanish director Arranda.....the message, the culture, ideological background, artistry with the camera.....this guy is a genius, watch the movie Los Amantes and you will gain a whole new appreciation of cinematography!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Indie said:
KeithR: All the Latin American authors you mention are excellent. Besides Dona Flor y Sus Dos Maridos and Gabriela, Clavo y Canela, can you recommend anything else by Jorge Amado? Thanks!

Indie,
I loved reading Jorge Amado even before I visited Bahia, but more so afterward. His writings reflect Bahia soooooo well. I loved both Dona Flor and Gabriela. Some think the former is just fluff, but they're only reading it superficially. Dona Flor captures Salvador de Todos os Santos perfeitamente. [BTW, there was a wonderful film version made of this in Brazil during the 1970's -- 1977 or 1978, I believe -- starring Sonia Braga before she became famous in US films like Kiss of the Spiderwoman (back when she was still doing Gabriela as a telenovela in Brazil). The film is in Portuguese with English subtitles. Well worth renting for anyone wanting to get a feel for Bahian life & outlook.]

Gabriela is terrific as a fictionalized history of the societal shifts in Ilheus at the turn of the 20th century, the principal cacao port of Brazil. Ilheus still has some of the character Amado describes.

I mentioned Cacau in an earlier post. Although not as tightly written as some of his other works, it is great for giving one the feel of violence and societal struggle that went on during the "cacao rush" in Bahia, in the coastal zone between Itabuna and Ilheus. Itabuna is a delightful town too (or it was 20 yrs ago).

Amado was a prolific writer. Wrote many novels -- such as Tieta do Agreste, Tenda dos Milagres, Os pastores da noite -- some poetry, some short stories, even some biographies and guides. I've read some of the short stories (can't remember their titles just now), but have yet to try the other novels, I'm ashamed to say. I hear that, as with most authors, their quality is uneven -- some nearly as good as Dona Flor or Gabriela, others not that good. I guess I'll find out which, because a Brazilian friend of mine says that I'll be getting copies of a few of his novels in Portuguese in my next visit to Brazil...

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Tony C said:

Well, at least we agree on something, Tony. I looooovvvvveeeee Casablanca. Have for 30 years. Very melodramatic throughout, but plays the heartstrings nonetheless.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Diablorojo, I'll try what you suggested. I'm sure I'll find the movie somewhere on the internet. Thanks!

KeithR, I saw the Dona Flor film years ago and I loved it, but I thought the book was better. And I absolutely adored Gabriela. I've also read a couple of his short stories, but I too, can't recall the titles right now.

Someone once told me if you've read one Amado novel you've read them all. I'm not sure I agree, but he does seem to write a whole lot about Bahia, cacao and whores, doesn't he? (Wasn't he a cacao plantation owner's son, or something like that?) Anyway, I'll check out a couple of the other Amado books you mentioned. Thanks!

-Indie