Spicy food thread.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I've bought Johnsonville brats and breakfast sausage including Vermont Maple Syrup variety at Bravo and Jumbo in SD. The only problem is I've run out of arms and legs to trade for them. I'm trying to trade my first born but it's a no go. The last pack of Johnsonville breakfast sausage I bought cost me RD$300 and a pack of brats on special was RD$289. OUCH! But when you must you must. I like my brats with sauerkraut and plenty of Tabasco Hot Sauce. I buy Del Monte canned sauerkraut at Jumbo for RD$59 (I think).

getimage.aspx

originalBratwurstLinks.png

breakfastLinksVermontMapleSyrup.png

NotLurking

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What I'm dying for is and authentic Jamaican Patty like the ones I use to buy in White Plains, NY from a nice Jamaican family that hand made them fresh daily. These were so hot and spicy that tears of happiness would run down my cheeks. These things were so good I still have fantasies of globing up at least half a dozen of these lovelies. Of course you pay for it twice, when you eat it and when you finally dispose of it but it damn sure is worth it. We'll never get these yummy treats here :(

Sorry to be a bit off topic but I couldn't help myself. I needed to reminisce.

NotLurking

do not say never. i am currently speaking with a guy who has a bakery whose management is losing its lease. then many people here will see them. it is very likely that i am familiar with the family you refer to

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually I have tried all the hot sauces this country has to offer and it does seem they are unable to combine spie with flavor for some reason, I'd like to maybe make my own sauces if possible.

I do make some simple ones myself for the very reason you mention. The local sauces are very bad, primarily tasting of vinegar which I despise in a hot sauce, which is why I despise Tabasco sauces as well. I take the hottest chilies I can find and dry them. Serrano and Habanero are available from time to time. Jalapenos are not hot enough so I ignore them unless I am using them in something fresh. I take the dried chilis, , a can of Famosa Salsa Condimentada, lime juice squeezed from local limes, some onion, some garlic, and cilantro (when I can find it). Put those things in a food processor and I have the best I can find.

Instead of the Famosa Salsa, if you want a sweet hot sauce you can substitute mango. If you want a lower powered hot sauce you can buy crushed red pepper flakes and/or powdered red pepper and use that to obtain the heat level you want.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've bought Johnsonville brats and breakfast sausage including Vermont Maple Syrup variety at Bravo and Jumbo in SD. The only problem is I've run out of arms and legs to trade for them. I'm trying to trade my first born but it's a no go. The last pack of Johnsonville breakfast sausage I bought cost me RD$300 and a pack of brats on special was RD$289. OUCH! But when you must you must. I like my brats with sauerkraut and plenty of Tabasco Hot Sauce. I buy Del Monte canned sauerkraut at Jumbo for RD$59 (I think).

getimage.aspx

originalBratwurstLinks.png

breakfastLinksVermontMapleSyrup.png

NotLurking
Johnsonville is good, but VERY pricy: $US6+!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I do make some simple ones myself for the very reason you mention. The local sauces are very bad, primarily tasting of vinegar which I despise in a hot sauce, which is why I despise Tabasco sauces as well. I take the hottest chilies I can find and dry them. Serrano and Habanero are available from time to time. Jalapenos are not hot enough so I ignore them unless I am using them in something fresh. I take the dried chilis, , a can of Famosa Salsa Condimentada, lime juice squeezed from local limes, some onion, some garlic, and cilantro (when I can find it). Put those things in a food processor and I have the best I can find.

Instead of the Famosa Salsa, if you want a sweet hot sauce you can substitute mango. If you want a lower powered hot sauce you can buy crushed red pepper flakes and/or powdered red pepper and use that to obtain the heat level you want.

if you want something really good, use papaya instead of mango, and add a tablespoon or so of tamarind pulp, which will give you a bite, and an exquisite taste.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
if you want something really good, use papaya instead of mango, and add a tablespoon or so of tamarind pulp, which will give you a bite, and an exquisite taste.

If you're fresh out of tamarind pulp, could you substitute worcestershire sauce?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

I know it's popular, maybe even a sport, but I never understood the hot chili thing. Maybe it's like soccer, something else that's beyond my comprehension.

My old bar, Gecko's, was known for it's winged, nekkid or breaded (I like breaded, but opinions vary). We had numerous sauces, some not peppery (garlic Parmesan was popular), but some HOT, up to "Nukulur" :cheeky:.

Every Friday for months, three construction guys came in for beer, wings and music after work. The conversation was always the same: "I want the hottest wings you have." We served them, very hot. They always had the same complaint: "These ain't hot wings!"

This began to irritate "Chef." He wasn't a real chef, but had the sensitivities of one. He took the complaint seriously.

So one Friday morning he came to me with some of those Moruga Scorpion peppers, and asked permission to crush them up and put them in the sauce for the construction guys. He had an evil grin. So I checked that our insurance policy was in effect and said "go for it."

So later that afternoon the same three guys came in, the regular scenario was repeated: "We want to hottest wings you have." Sure, buddy...:ninja:

Wings came out, the guys started chowing down...and they started to look at each other and sweat, asked for more beer and water. Not a word was said. Just sweat and red faces. They looked painful. They ate those wings very, very slowly, their ego trumping their common sense.

I came over and asked "How're the wings?"

Not a word. An occasional gag reflex. Face sweat dripping onto the plate. Trips to the john. More water. One ordered milk.

They left early.

A week later they came back in and ordered the "regular" really hot wings. :cheeky:

[video=youtube;maRvfNrntfk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maRvfNrntfk[/video]

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
About a year ago I bought some of those Johnson breakfast sausages (wanted my son to experience a decent american breakfast) and they tasted like they had been frozed/unfrozen at least 10 times. They had this funky flavor of just old and nasty. Amazingly the package looked brand new and looked as if it had never been frozen.

Ended up having to throw them out so im now weary of the brand in the DR.

Love the brand back home but they're just too old here.

BTW, bought them at La Cadena in SD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you're fresh out of tamarind pulp, could you substitute worcestershire sauce?

i am sure it would be ok, but use it sparingly. tamarinds are now in full season in the DR, and the packets of shelled pulp is dog cheap. this weekend i might just run off a batch, and see how my new recipe works. if it does, i will post it for the readership.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy them at Super Mercado national.
I never had a problem with "Freshness", just "Priceness"!
You can take them back if you don't like them.
BUT YOU WON'T HAVE TO, THEIR GREAT!
ccccccccccccccccc

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Similar story. . .but different.

Years ago on Long Island at my fave dive bar, the cook had brought out a tiny bottle of insanely hot sauce. Meant to put a drop in a less crazily hot sauce. He touched a toothpick tip in it and I touched my tongue. I sweated for an hour.

A few months later a dude comes in and says he can eat the hottest food and not break a sweat. The cook made him an offer. He would make 12 HOT wings. If the dude could finish em, they were free.

About 20 minutes later the cook yells for barmaid to come and get em. I had known her for years and nearly wet myself when she walked back to kitchen and ran out screaming, crying and sweating. She had to get herself back together and briskly walked back. She came out with plate arms length away and again sweating and crying.

I was across the very large bar, maybe 25 feet away and instantly was sweating and teary eyed. She puts plate in front of the guy. I had to move seats further away. He calmly put each wing in his mouth and came out with nothing but bone. Ate all 12, with only an occasional sip of beer. He had to be from another planet.

Actually I would bet he had an olfactory issue and had no sense of smell.

I know it's popular, maybe even a sport, but I never understood the hot chili thing. Maybe it's like soccer, something else that's beyond my comprehension.

My old bar, Gecko's, was known for it's winged, nekkid or breaded (I like breaded, but opinions vary). We had numerous sauces, some not peppery (garlic Parmesan was popular), but some HOT, up to "Nukulur" :cheeky:.

Every Friday for months, three construction guys came in for beer, wings and music after work. The conversation was always the same: "I want the hottest wings you have." We served them, very hot. They always had the same complaint: "These ain't hot wings!"

This began to irritate "Chef." He wasn't a real chef, but had the sensitivities of one. He took the complaint seriously.

So one Friday morning he came to me with some of those Moruga Scorpion peppers, and asked permission to crush them up and put them in the sauce for the construction guys. He had an evil grin. So I checked that our insurance policy was in effect and said "go for it."

So later that afternoon the same three guys came in, the regular scenario was repeated: "We want to hottest wings you have." Sure, buddy...:ninja:

Wings came out, the guys started chowing down...and they started to look at each other and sweat, asked for more beer and water. Not a word was said. Just sweat and red faces. They looked painful. They ate those wings very, very slowly, their ego trumping their common sense.

I came over and asked "How're the wings?"

Not a word. An occasional gag reflex. Face sweat dripping onto the plate. Trips to the john. More water. One ordered milk.

They left early.

A week later they came back in and ordered the "regular" really hot wings. :cheeky:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
rafael, i have seen Trinidadian and Guyanese people of Indian descent having a meal with raw scotch bonnet peppers on a sideplate, and eating them as if they were crunching a stalk of celery.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
rafael, i have seen Trinidadian and Guyanese people of Indian descent having a meal with raw scotch bonnet peppers on a sideplate, and eating them as if they were crunching a stalk of celery.

Hmmm was in Trini and Tobago for New Years, didn't notice spicy food. I assume the west indian community?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Eating hot foods comes naturally to some people. Others can build up to eating the hottest food on the planet gradually, like I did. Eating hot spicy food releases endorphins and that is one reason people do it. Aside from liking the way it tastes. Of course the majority of people will never experience this.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Eating hot foods comes naturally to some people. Others can build up to eating the hottest food on the planet gradually, like I did. Eating hot spicy food releases endorphins and that is one reason people do it. Aside from liking the way it tastes. Of course the majority of people will never experience this.

if i put a pinch of mundane old black pepper in a recipe, my Dominican friends need a jug of water to eat a spoonful.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
if i put a pinch of mundane old black pepper in a recipe, my Dominican friends need a jug of water to eat a spoonful.
I made tacos with Old El Paso seasoning.

Alida's family thought they were on fire.

Of course, they use oregano so heavy I gag.

Different tastes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I made tacos with Old El Paso seasoning.

Alida's family thought they were on fire.

Of course, they use oregano so heavy I gag.

Different tastes.

not to mention that leaf they use on everything. i think it is cilantro. that makes me gag.

i watched my friend's girlfriend buy a bottle of Goya tropical seasoning powder, and a bottle of powdered oregano. she was going to make a 50-50 blend! i hope she does not invite me to eat anything she cooks.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

You like hot hot........
Koreanos Kim Chi.............soooooo hot.....sooooo good......
When I cook a hot (Picante) meal.......habanero is my pepper of choice.........
Once considered the hottest pepper in the world..........

B in Santiago