Starry-eyed dreamer from Philly contemplating retirement in DR

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT....

That's my point....with $35k a year here in the US...its NOTHING what so ever...I was never able to do anything even with my husband and I making $68k...."The American Routine"......it doesn't matter how much you make...you just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper into that Debt hole...

Not one native dominican person ....that has lived in DR all their lives....without ever moving here....and lives how i call "decent"....actually make more than $20K/mo....and they live a peaceful life....without this fast paced stressful America.

Again...I'm not looking for immediate luxury in the dominican republic...I'm only looking to live as "decent" as I live here...in a less stressfull environment....and on the hopes of starting my own business...

Hairdressers....there are many...but, we still make the money...I used to work as a part time hairdresser...and I took home at least US$2,500/mo ...ONLY part time...which is about US$35k a year here in the us. In DR....as many hairdressers there are....My cousin just left, 3 years ago...and opened a low budget beauty salon...and she is now making at least $40k/mo and she has no need to run it herself anylonger...

HILLBILLY....Your name seems to describe you fairly well....a closed minded from the countryside.....You can't compare...US income...to RD income...

What RD$1,000.00 buys you...which is not much....wouldn't be able to buy it here...for US$50.00 ...Things just balance out. It doesn't matter if I make US$40k a year and pay US$15k/yr only on rent!!....that leaves me US$25k/yr....to pay bills, car loans, child care, food, gas...

In DR let's say I make DOP$324K/yr (27k/mo)....I will only be paying RD$48k/yr on rent...($4k/mo..."decent" apartment on suburbs)...that leaves me... RD$276k/yr....to pay for utility bills, and gas, I can easily have a service maid at my house (Childcare, and will also keep my house clean!! lol ) for RD$30k-$36k/yr...still leaves me with RD$246k/yr...and there is no way that I couldn't live "decently" (w/out extreme luxury) in the DR with RD$240k/yr....

Just Facts. KP

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Shoortylov

You are absolutely right and Hillbilly is wrong. For $27,000 k a month using your $4000 a month for rent you will live in a suburb. But what a suburb!!! Let me tell you, the suburbs in U.S. cities are real suburbs. Take for instance the Kendall suburb in Miami. This is mostly a middle class area with some upper middle class and luxury areas. Its absolutely clean. The streets and main roads are spotless. There are no motoconchos and tigueres roaming down the streets.

But the suburb you are going to live in a $4000 a month apartment is probably in the oriental zone, not even Ensanche Ozama, but more like Los Frailes, Los Mina or a Duarte Highway neighborhood slum. Just think. Even in Ensanche Ozama, which is the best of the Oriental Zone, yet a tigueres haven, $4000 a month wont even get you a studio in their most decent area. New 2Br. apartments are already selling there for $1million pesos, with maintenance of $500 a month. Electricity in Ensanche Ozama is about the highest in the city. Few people there pay under $500 a month. And this is not a decent area anymore. This is strictly for people who could care less about their personal security, noise, pollution and other evils.

$4000 will get you into Villa Consuelo, Ensanche La Fe, Cristo Rey and Capotillo. Just for your information nice Capotillo houses are going for $5000 a month and more. Of course your life is worthless in these neighborhoods, specially after 8pm.

So Hillbilly, yes you are wrong. This girl is ready for WWII. She is even ready to ride motoconchos everyday. Dont cry for her.

TW

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
OK.....are u guys not reading in sequence....

I'm not renting an apartment...I have a houses to rent in "Almarosa", "Respaldo de Almarosa", "Mi Hogar", "Las Americas"...or "Los Rosales"...which are not bad neighborhoods....They are actually very "decent"! Even if I do not end up renting those homes...I'll work to have a down payment on a "decent" home in la Zona oriental...where I can purchase a pretty nice house...for $900K...with my down payment paid, before I leave to DR....My rent will not go above RD$5k...And there I go back to my theory...Everything is just a plan...you can't leave here with anything at least started in DR...and expect that everything is going to be de Maravillas.

I right now live in a Suburb in Mass, one of the less expensive on rent...and I still pay $1200/mo for rent for a small 3 bed...and let me tell you......what a slum.....NOT WORTH...this "AMERICAN" living.

I wonder where do you live GOLO? Or HillBilly...Did u ever live in DR? If so where? Why don't u guys explain your position/situation here in the US...and maybe, just maybe...if you are making those US$75k - US$80/yr....and living in these Amazing neighborhoods here in the US....i'm might just agree with all your statements.

Just trying to explain in words...all the disadvantages of this outrageous country...it's stressfull....

Last edited:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Shoortylov
I respectfully request you do some research on Hillbilly and Golo before you put your foot in your mouth again.Both live here,if you read other threads you will also see both are very helpful sources of information also.They are being realists if you believe you know so much why ask for help?Enjoy your non stressful 27000 peso a month lifestyle because after all you gotta live with,Ijust feel bad for your kids.
Johnny:confused:

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
Johnny...

I just edited my last post...made it a bit more clear...

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone...I'm just giving you facts...of things that I HAVE researched for over 3 years now....That's why i'm trying to give as much details as I can...I seriously believe that we are just not looking for the same accommodations...and that's why i'm just asking for facts.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ShoortyLov said:
I'm not trying to disrespect anyone...I'm just giving you facts...of things that I HAVE researched for over 3 years now....That's why i'm trying to give as much details as I can...I seriously believe that we are just not looking for the same accommodations...and that's why i'm just asking for facts.

There is really no point in continuing to post, ShoortyLov? People who live here have given you the benefit of their knowledge and experience, but you rejected it because it isn't what you want to hear. If Hillbilly and golo can't help you, then nobody can. They have more years in the Dominican Republic between them than most of the other posters combined.

Good luck. Let us know how it all worked out.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ShoortyLov -
As someone once told me, "If you don't live it, don't talk about it".

We live here, smell it and breath it, 24x7, 365 days.
Hillbilly for 40yrs +

I suggest you eat a little humble pie...

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
I understand where u guys are coming from...and I was asking where did HillBilly and Golo lived.....not trying to disrespect anyone....just to understand where were they coming from...to understand their position...and why the believe what they state.

I am aware that I am not one to talk...I still have not lived it....But...I was just trying to explain that it can be done...without luxury...but it can.....and like GOLO said.....I'm just ready for WWIII...I'm willing to struggle and do what I gotta do in order to succeed in relocationg to DR....just to get out of this stressfull America.....

There must be a reason why Hillbilly, Golo, and the rest of you still live in our country.... and dominicans that do live here in the US....are struggling to ONE day...move back to their country...

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear LOV: Look, so I was gruff. Okey, I needed to get you to think. You are Right, you can't buy for $50 dollars what you can buy for RD$1000 pesos: YOU CAN BUY MORE!! BTW, that RD$1000 is now just 46 dollars thanks to our lovely government.
Go to a grocery store in wherever you live and spend $50 dollars. Send me a list of exactly what you bought and I will send you the prices of what you can get it for here.

Yes, you can succeed. Yes, you can set up a beauty salon and make money. I am wondering, if you at 21 years of age, just one little child, making 35K dollars a year, have you really thought it out? There are a lot more opportunities for you in the States, than there are here. You cousin's 40K pesos (no taxes, no lights, no water bills?)are now less than $2000 dollars! And going down too fast!.

I just think you can do better, set up for a nice retirement or winter vacation home, and then make the final decision.

Not so long ago, some of us were recommending places for re-location for a couple from main and their two small children. It was a piece of cake, sort of. She is a talented teacher, a Registered Nurse with tons of experience and the personality to handle DR doctors, and he is a law enforcement officer with some interesting specialities, all told very saleable talents in today's DR. And they have income salted away to provide plenty of money to live a "decent" lifestyle, without exposing themselves to povety or bankruptcy.

Finally, I am wondering why you are so in debt. Why the pressure? What is happening up there that has you running down here to get away from Pressure? Man, talk about pressure: Honey? Did the lights come on? Honey, is there water today? Honey? Where is the car? I can't seem to find it this morning? Honey? There is a guy here from Rentas Internas, something about the Salon?

Hb. who has been here nearly twice as long as you have been alive.....

Last edited:

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
That's the thing ....HB....I know Im only 21 yrs old...but I pay at least $2800/mo only on utility bills, rent, and car.....on a $35k/yr salary...That leaves with $1400/a YEAR....to work out with the rest of the bills... Therefore, I have to have a second job, and do something else on the side...while I'm leaving my 2 yr old son at a daycare until 10pm at night mon-friday.... Is that what you call comfortable living???

You have no idea of my background....with 21 yrs of age....you will be amazed of what kind of working experience I do have.

Both my parents are work as teachers....My father is a Math teacher and also an industrial engineer, my mother is a Computer/buisness teacher and also an Accountant. Its funny to see that when both of my parents have masters certificates on two different fields.... they'll also be moving to DR in less then 3 years....since their combined salary of $100K+/yr, is just not worth the "American" stuggle.....

I'm by myself on this.....and I DO NOT know everything....But...are u guys even listening to yourselves? You are trying to convince me that there is less of a struggle in the US....

My salary of US$35k is not common......My father, with a Master's Certificate in Education....Just started making, after 5 yrs doing his job, US$29K/yr. My mother, as a teacher for 10 yrs is now making $56k/yr. They both run have to run another buisiness on the side in order to "pay the bills"... So I'm actually supposedly "above" average.....and you guys couldn't imagine the struggle...

HB - I actually went to the supermarket yesterday...and my total was US$45.31....Would you like to know what I exactly purchased.....

-2 gallons of milk
-2 x 16oz cereal box <- - not name brand...since its cheaper.
-1DZ of hamburger patties
-2 x 2 liter Sodas
-1DZ of Eggs
-bag of Wonder Bread (sliced)
-Butter
-2 Carnation Evaporated milk
-Big bag of Chips, and a pack of gum

With what's listed above....It will be gone by Sunday...(and I do not cook at home...I usually have to eat out...on the run....)

$50 is food for two days (breakfast/lunch/dinner)(fast food/cheap restaurants)...since I have to eat on the run....and let me tell you...I try to save!!! I eat burger king almost everyday LOL....($5-$6 lunch)...since I'm on tight budget.

To conclude.....I'm just trying to explain...there is always going to be struggle.....But we all have our priorities...I believe that not going through the stressfull "American Routine"...... in the long run....It all just balances out...and It's worth the beginning struggle.

And may I ask....as the "little girl" here....Why are you guys so stern? Why the rudeness?? I thought that the reason to post anything on these forums is to get information or opinions expressed...not to put your fellow neighbor down, or "on the spot".

<- - - Very Friendly...and open minded KP : oD :-*

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If anything your determined and that's half the battle.
You are never going to really know unless you do it.
We are just telling it like it is, backed by "real" world experience, years of it.

We have seen many ShoortyLov's come and go on DR1.
Don't take the replies the wrong way, of course they are a little stern, but trust me, you will appreciate the frankness of the posts sometime in the future. Remember, another persons future is at stake here, not just yours. They are relying on you to make the right decision, because they can't.

If you have a support mechanism here, do it.
Worst scenario is you go back to Mum and Dad if that's possible.

Life is a struggle and you will be struggling, but I can think of worse countries to be struggling in.

I'm glad to see you are starting to eat some of that pie...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stern, yes. I am sure that those who know me, can see me as stern...
Rude? hardly/..At least not yet. thanks for that list. I will check at the local supermarket and see what they come up with. Probably in a day or so.
From what you have said, it seems like a dollar is not buying much any more....
Me, who remembers 5? Cokes!!

HB
Kiss.gif

See, I'm not all bad.....

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
Wow 5? cokes...that must of been nice : o) A one liter coke goes for US$1.10 (w/ tax)

Will await for your list...

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly said:

From what you have said, it seems like a dollar is not buying much any more....

It's hard to believe those products were bought at Publix.
7-11 ??? maybe.

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
Lyse...not sure what u meant at Publix....

If you meant what happened on 9-11...

... It has affected our economy in an unbelievable way, but thank god that it has not affected our cost of living as much yet (prices have not gone skyrocket yet..)...even though that many people have lost their jobs and will continue to loose their jobs this year.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Lyse...Go ahead and do what you want! What the heck...you only live once. You're still young...now is the time to do it. If you're a US citizen you can always go back to the US and get a similar or better job than what you have now. Be aware though that what these guys are telling you is the truth...always consider that things are going to be harder than you anticipate.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ShortyLov, by 7-11 she meant a store. They are common in the US, a place where you can pick up a lot of small grocery items when in a hurry. If you don't have a 7-11, or something like it in your area, you are either unusual or live in a very small town.

Publix is a supermarket chain, with stores in Florida and probably elsewhere.

ShoortyLov

Nov 15, 2002
Oops...of course there is 7/11 everywhere!! lol I have never heard of Publix though.

a one liter of coke in a 7/11 is around $1.29. : o)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
They have Publix in Georgia also and yes 7/11 is a "convenience" store (like the old fashioned corner stores) where you pay for the convenience by paying a higher price for basic items. So ShoortyLov knows the difference and goes to the "cheaper" supermarket.......atta girl Shoorty.....as the saying goes "a penny saved is a penny earned!!" Might be an old saying but a lot of ppl would be much further ahead today if they followed this "sage" advice.