Stirring the pot

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Jazzy...please, re-read your post...I can't believe you just said that...

They should do away with the COMMERCIALIZATION of Christmas...is that what you meant?

I personally LOVE Christmas!!! Not only for the real reason, to celebrate the birth of Jesus, which I DO CELEBRATE!!!, but also 'cause deep down inside I'm still a little girl that loves all the preparations, the food, the gatherings of friends and family, etc.

The presents we have long got rid of, now it's only for the little kids in the family, which right now is only 2, my "niece" and my nephew...So, there you go...

The pastor at my church once said..."When you buy people presents, you put them in the awkward position of having to buy you a present also, so...do everyone a big favor and don't buy anything for anybody...only the little children"

If everybody would follow this, then we could go back to celebrating the real reason for the season...

Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year 2003 to everyone!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Secularization" of "Religious" Holidays

What this "means" is that we take,for example,the Christian Holiday of Christmas.Christians all over the world go to church and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.Now,"Here Comes Santa Claus,and his 8 tiny reindeer"(and later "Rudolf too!) and "Christmas" is more about buying,selling,and "toys",than the birth of Christ.The Christian Religious Holiday of Christmas has been "Secularized"!Easter,the death and resurrection of Christ?Not anymore."Bunnies"and chocolate,secularized!!!When I see a "sign" that says "Merry X-Mas" I want to perform a violent act of "Civil Disobedience"! I don't think that any tolerant,rational person has a problem with the religious celebration of the Holidays of any religion.What seems to bother us most is the secularization,or better said,commercialization,of those Holidays.That said,I better get started buying lots of presents,"X-Mas" is coming!!!!!!!!Cris ColonPS,I need a new "Soapbox" if anyone wants a hint!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I agree. Christmas is way too comercial. 2 years ago I refused to celebrate. Didn't go Christmas shopping, didn't make 1 cookie, didn't get together with anyone on Christmas Day. Really it was a good thing.
I told everyone I was rebeling against the comercialization of the season(but really I was saving all my money to move here!) It just makes me sick all the money spent on useless gifts and so much food. Go in debt to buy things that people don't need or will never use.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
At our house Christmas is about family! A chance for all to gather together under one roof and enjoy a "special" meal that is only prepared (actually two because we do the Christmas Eve special dishes on the 24th) at Christmas.
Yes there is a tree with presents but it is mainly for the children (one gift each for the adults) and each year our present to each other (hubby and I) are our tickets to the DR. I've just finished booking them (Yeah!!). We add to the collections that our grown children have (makes buying thier gift easy!!) and of course we spoil the grandkids (their other grandparents-all four of them don't) :) - Makes our holiday!! I put money every month into registered education plans for the grandkids so their presents never amount to more than $100 each but I get one big one and lots of little ones (they just love those $1 "dinky" cars hehehe!).
Christmas day and Christmas Eve we phone all the relatives and close friends that cannot be with us (or are doing the same with their families). Ah yes......I'm glad it will soon be here!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"2 years ago I refused to celebrate. Didn't go Christmas shopping, didn't make 1 cookie, didn't get together with anyone on Christmas Day." Jan
Jan was this the time you were serving 2-4 yrs in the big house for possession of some smoking plants? Hehehehehe

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's all what you make of it. It's important in my family to get together. I only have two sisters and on Christmas Eve we all come together. Thier children, mine and partners. No presents expect for the little ones. But lots of food and fun. Because of the way Christmas is changing I don't even have a Christmas Tree any more. My granddaughters helped me with the Nativity Scene and as we put it up I tell them the story. I have made this my new tradition with them. Who says you have to buy and buy? Don't be pressured by Ads. My daughter in law treasures hand made things because it's too easy just to BUY things. I make things for my grandkids and she saves them with name and year like they are made of gold because Nonna made them.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
jazzcom said:
I don't know about the rest of you but I Hate Christmas and all the ornamental bullshit that goes along with it. Only think that ever meant anything to me was the day off from work.

If they would just do away with it instead of trying to make it unilateral it would please me to no end.
OK Ebeneezer,BAH HUMBUG to you too.
Johnny
:bandit:
Seriously,Christmas is the time I love the most for family and friends,every year on the 24th I have a gathering to thank my extended family and friends for the love and support they have given me all year.I honestly believe the cost of a couple of turkeys and a pig is nothing compared to this and we always have a geat time.It never is wrong to give for the right reason,just as long as you do it for the right reason.Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all
JOHNNY:cool:

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Re: You should feel right at home here then!

Pib said:
Because there aren't that many of them. There is religious tolerance in the DR, they are not molested in any way.

Now that is one of the funniest statements ever posted on DR1!!!!!!!!!
You can't be serious?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pib, I see eye to eye with you on most subjects, but like so much of religious thinking, this just doesn't add up. We don't have minorities = we are tolerant?

And Ken, if the schools here aren't teaching kids about all beliefs and cultures, which they clearly aren't - don't you think that's far worse than the multi-cultural approach to religious education - which so many people on this thread seem to be dismissing as inane political correctness?

For the record, I believe in a lot of things, but my beliefs are not formed by any religion. I am not a practising member of any religion. I think all religions without exception have a lot to answer for in this mess of a world we live in. Especially in poor countries, where people - especially women - are kept in their place by religion and lack of education. I do however love learning about different cultures, and am fascinated by differences and commonalities in people's belief systems. I think that a society that lacks this sort of diversity and understanding can only be poorer for it.

Chirimoya

PS and isn't the expression 'flogging a dead horse'? or perhaps 'molesting'....!!!

Last edited:

jbhermes

Sep 10, 2002
yep

I'm with those of you who celebrate the Holidays because you love getting together with your families. I have a new little 10-week old great niece who I thoroughly enjoyed shopping for. I am baking some homemade treats for my sisters and their families, and making fleece blankets for my hubby's family...and that's it. I love the Holidays for getting together with loved ones...it's my favorite thing in the world to do.;)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Well Floridabob, Congrats on your decision. You're only a few steps ahead of my wife and I. We bought a house in Cabarete on our last visit. We're selling our business in Minneapolis(currently training in the new owner to be) then we'll be on our way. Where will you be settleing?

jbhermes

Sep 10, 2002
Hey Tom

What's your business in Mpls? I work downtown Mpls and live in Blaine. Small world, huh?

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Camden Tom

I'll be settling somewhere around Cabarete. I am from a small town in OHio called Camden. Any relation?

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Chiramoya

C - Your thoughts represent the reason Christmas Trees are turning into Holiday Trees, "God" will be removed from the pledge, "God" will eventually be removed from your money, and affirmative action will continue to allow discrimination based on race, sex, and creed.

my two cents
m

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey JB, The business I'm selling is a real estate and development company in the camden neighborhood of Mpls. You probably drive through it every day (94?) on your way down town.

jbhermes

Sep 10, 2002
yes

I know the area well! Where will you be settling in the Dr? We are headed back there in February for the 2nd time with our kids. Can't wait. Beautiful place to visit! I admire anyone who will sell everything they have and take a chance like this. Lots of people here on DR1 have done that! Good Luck!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Chiramoya

Marc said:
C - "God" will be removed from the pledge, "God" will eventually be removed from your money,
my two cents
m

So - you are assuming everybody believes in a god - which they don't, so why should it be imposed on them through the pledge: you can be a patriot without believing in any sort of deity.

My money? You're also assuming that I'm from the US, which I'm not....

Give me a break, god-botherers!

Chiri