Stuck at the Airport

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are regular visitor why not try to get a Dominican Visa that could give you more days of staying? the pro will be that they wont stoped you next time, not payments for overstay, you will make only one payment for the visa. Have a nice stay and Hello from San Pedro.

What Dominican Visa is that? Residency is the only way around this as far as I know

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A Tourist is a Tourist.
At the Port Immigration Authority in Luperon there is a posted list for costs of Visas... this is for the Yacht Tourist. But I used to go there and pay my overstay.. this list virtually provides up to 36 months for visas ; I believe that cost $14000 DOP$.
Up to 90 days cost $4000.DOP$ ...
Wondering why that facility is not available at Airports as well.
Just , like the Yachties, pay it when you enter,
Interesting though.

No such option currently exists at airports that I have heard of.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
YES That would be a boon to many many of us. It has been brought up on this forum many times that a visa for more than 30 days would be a good idea for the DR to offer. Do you have some info for us as to where to get such a 90 day visa for example?
Thanks Der Fish

Not yet. Maybe some day. Maybe never.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
What Dominican Visa is that? Residency is the only way around this as far as I know

That option is in Dominican consulate, maybe you will find a lazy guy that will tell you, you do not need visa to go there, but you have to explain that you want to stay 90 days and do not want to get stuck at the airport in line.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
In March I am going to Ottawa to the Dominican Embassy to get this all sorted out.
AS well I will be asking for the forms to apply for Citizenship (there seems to be questions about that process as well).
If I find there is BS and run around I will simply tell them to shove it and go to another Caribbean country where the BS is less.
Take the family with me.
I once had a 5 year working visa in Barbados that cost $6000.CDN. Took no time at all to process.
Did the same in Costa Rica .... they actually offered Citizenship (two times).
Too old and cantankerous to put up with this ship.
We'll see what happens when I return in March.
If I tell them I am staying 78 days and the admit me then it is a legal stay.... I pay the Piper when I leave.

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
These events are happening more and more lately. It does seem that Immigration officers are making an effort to enforce the 30 day tourist visa/card rule little by little. We have heard of multiple instances from individuals of various countries who have been denied entry to the Dominican Republic because they have repeatedly violated the 30-day tourist card period within a given year. It is also within the Immigration agent´s power to ask to see your return ticket to verify that your stay will be within the 30 day period.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That option is in Dominican consulate, maybe you will find a lazy guy that will tell you, you do not need visa to go there, but you have to explain that you want to stay 90 days and do not want to get stuck at the airport in line.

I have never heard of anyone successfully getting a 90 day visa at a Dominican consulate.

Let us say that is an option, it would be completely impractical for the vast majority of tourists to go to a Dominican consulate prior to visiting the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In March I am going to Ottawa to the Dominican Embassy to get this all sorted out.
AS well I will be asking for the forms to apply for Citizenship (there seems to be questions about that process as well).
If I find there is BS and run around I will simply tell them to shove it and go to another Caribbean country where the BS is less.
Take the family with me.
I once had a 5 year working visa in Barbados that cost $6000.CDN. Took no time at all to process.
Did the same in Costa Rica .... they actually offered Citizenship (two times).
Too old and cantankerous to put up with this ship.
We'll see what happens when I return in March.
If I tell them I am staying 78 days and the admit me then it is a legal stay.... I pay the Piper when I leave.

I suspect you will be told there is a 30 day tourist card and if you stay longer you will pay a fee for that overstay when you leave.

I am aware of no one that has come up with other information than this when it comes to visiting the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DR deported or prevented 110,030 foreigners from entering in 2017

SANTO DOMINGO.- The Dominican Republic reported yesterday that during the past year it deported or did not allow 110,030 foreigners from 33 countries to enter the country because they did not comply with local immigration laws.

The General Directorate of Migration (DGM) noted that in 2017 it executed hundreds of interdiction operations that ended with the deportation of 57,996 foreigners, while another 42,034 were not allowed to enter the Caribbean nation.

According to the official report, the undocumented people deported last year came from Albania, Germany, Argentina, Armenia, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Colombia, Cuba, Spain, the United States, France, Greece, Guyana and Haiti.

In addition, from India, Holland, Iran, Italy, Lithuania, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Russia, South Africa, Serbia, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, and Venezuela.

The agency also said that 6,433,564 people entered the country last year by air, while 6,737,926 people left the territory in the same period.

With regard to migratory movements along the land border, 236,949 entries and 200,454 departures were recorded, mainly by the Jimaní post (southwest, border with Haiti), where the highest flow was reported.

Migration also revealed that last year 2,626 foreigners returned to their respective countries voluntarily.

F: 7dias.com.do

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/r-dominicana-deporto-o-impidio-ingreso-a-110-030-extranjeros-en-2017/

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For someone who lives in DR, absolutely.

However, the OP only visits 3 months a year,  there currently is no answer for them.  Hopefully, DR will wake up and do something for snowbirds
One hopes.

But currently there is not.

I don't think this policy is aimed at snowbirds. Think Haitians, Venezuelans and Puerto Ricans.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree w/ CB

3 months here deserves the benefits of a resident....
but w/o it.... you get nothing and just dangle in the breeze

It's a precarious position --- IMO

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This seems to be such a sticking point for tourists visiting the RD, and I really can not understand why. The OP created her own predicament by telling an immigration official that she was going to blatantly violate the terms of the 30 day tourist entrance card. The immigration official was only performing their proper diligence by referring the matter to a supervisory official. Could you imagine walking into a military checkpoint or police station and telling the person on watch that you were planning on committing an attack or crime, not today, but 30 days from now . It may be up for debate what would transpire, but it should not be. Now, whether there was a supervisory official on hand at the moment, obligated to other tasks, or had to perform their own due diligence to this particular matter is unknown. Had the OP told the original official that she would be in the RD for 4 weeks/28 days, they would have stepped forward lightly, and avoided two hours of discomfort. After all was said and done, including the language barriers involved, the OP and her husband were still admitted for their 84 day stay. The OP created her own uncomfortable situation. Next January, she should let her husband handle the respective transactions. Viva La Republica Dominicana!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This seems to be such a sticking point for tourists visiting the RD, and I really can not understand why. The OP created her own predicament by telling an immigration official that she was going to blatantly violate the terms of the 30 day tourist entrance card. The immigration official was only performing their proper diligence by referring the matter to a supervisory official. Could you imagine walking into a military checkpoint or police station and telling the person on watch that you were planning on committing an attack or crime, not today, but 30 days from now . It may be up for debate what would transpire, but it should not be. Now, whether there was a supervisory official on hand at the moment, obligated to other tasks, or had to perform their own due diligence to this particular matter is unknown. Had the OP told the original official that she would be in the RD for 4 weeks/28 days, they would have stepped forward lightly, and avoided two hours of discomfort. After all was said and done, including the language barriers involved, the OP and her husband were still admitted for their 84 day stay. The OP created her own uncomfortable situation. Next January, she should let her husband handle the respective transactions. Viva La Republica Dominicana!

So you suggest that one lie about their length of stay?  And how would the average snowbird know they should lie?  To blame the OP isn’t fair, IMO

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Unless the law has been recently changed, there is no 90 visa. You can get a 60 day extension to your tourist card which will give you a total of 90 days.

This extension can only be requested at DGM in SD - not an an embassy or consulate in your country. However, and this was covered on another thread, many posters who went to SD to try to get the extension(which also requires a medical) were unable to get the extension. DGM acted like they knew nothing about it. In any case, totally impractical for the vast majority of tourists even if DGM were giving out the extensions.

Here's the applicable law(Article 83 Ley 631-11):

PÁRRAFO I.- El Extranjero admitido como No Residente que manifieste interés de prorrogar
el plazo de permanencia, debe dirigir su solicitud motivada a la D.G.M. sin que, en ningún caso,
pueda solicitarse más de una prórroga.
PÁRRAFO III.- La solicitud de prórroga debe estar acompañada de los siguientes documentos:
1. Para los Turistas:
a) Formulario de solicitud debidamente llenado;
b) Pasaporte con vigencia mínima de seis (6) meses a partir de la prorroga.
c) Boleto aéreo o marítimo de regreso;
d) Una dirección en la República Dominicana;
e) Certificado médico expedido por un medico autorizado con su debido exequátur;
f) Prueba de solvencia económica;
g) El pago de los derechos previstos.
En caso de ser aprobada la prórroga, la D.G.M. sólo podrá conceder una prórroga de
permanencia por sesenta (60) días.
En caso de ser rechazada la solicitud, se procederá conforme
a lo que dispone la Ley y el presente Reglamento. Se exceptúan de esta disposición, los hijos de
dominicanos nacidos en el exterior.

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
So you suggest that one lie about their length of stay?  And how would the average snowbird know they should lie?  To blame the OP isn’t fair, IMO

In a nutshell, yes. If you know you are doing something that you should not be, why would you freely state so? The snowbird at hand admits that they have been visiting the RD for ten years, and that they pay the overstay penalty upon departure. They are not new to this particular jamboree. If it was a first time occurrence, that could be understood. How has the OP handled the situation in past visits, and why did they now choose to deviate from the normal standard? This forum has various threads regarding the matter, but the OP chose not to consult those prior to arriving here in RD, but rather, chose to create her own situation, and resort to this forum following the fact. So basically, upon arrival in the RD for an 84 day vacation, the OP created a situation which cost herself two hours wait time with immigration in the airport, and more time creating membership and posting her ordeal here within this forum. I would rather be on the beach with a glass of wine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the issue is that a new procedure is/might be in place ....

Never been a problem before - now is - see Sunny Solar's post saying that about 20 yrs

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think the issue is that a new procedure is/might be in place ....

Never been a problem before - now is - see Sunny Solar's post saying that about 20 yrs

Exactly.  I’ve been flying in for 42 years, and I’ve never lied about how long I’m staying.  This is something new that no one could have foreseen.