Stuck at the Airport

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am not a fan of, nor do I advocate lying or possessing a mendacious agenda, but if the OP had stated that her and the hubby were going to be here for 4 weeks/28 days, and then decided after that time period, to remain for 84 days, they are very well aware of the procedure that would have to be followed. They have done it for the last ten years. Other than this, follow the rules as they exist. I can not assess blame to any other party.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Unless the law has been recently changed, there is no 90 visa. You can get a 60 day extension to your tourist card which will give you a total of 90 days.

This extension can only be requested at DGM in SD - not an an embassy or consulate in your country. However, and this was covered on another thread, many posters who went to SD to try to get the extension(which also requires a medical) were unable to get the extension. DGM acted like they knew nothing about it. In any case, totally impractical for the vast majority of tourists even if DGM were giving out the extensions.

Here's the applicable law(Article 83 Ley 631-11):

PÁRRAFO I.- El Extranjero admitido como No Residente que manifieste interés de prorrogar
el plazo de permanencia, debe dirigir su solicitud motivada a la D.G.M. sin que, en ningún caso,
pueda solicitarse más de una prórroga.
PÁRRAFO III.- La solicitud de prórroga debe estar acompañada de los siguientes documentos:
1. Para los Turistas:
a) Formulario de solicitud debidamente llenado;
b) Pasaporte con vigencia mínima de seis (6) meses a partir de la prorroga.
c) Boleto aéreo o marítimo de regreso;
d) Una dirección en la República Dominicana;
e) Certificado médico expedido por un medico autorizado con su debido exequátur;
f) Prueba de solvencia económica;
g) El pago de los derechos previstos.
En caso de ser aprobada la prórroga, la D.G.M. sólo podrá conceder una prórroga de
permanencia por sesenta (60) días.
En caso de ser rechazada la solicitud, se procederá conforme
a lo que dispone la Ley y el presente Reglamento. Se exceptúan de esta disposición, los hijos de
dominicanos nacidos en el exterior.

Ummm ask AE she went to SD last year to get the info first hand and they told her to pay on the way out. :confused:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Exactly.  I’ve been flying in for 42 years, and I’ve never lied about how long I’m staying.  This is something new that no one could have foreseen.  

One example, provided by one sole person, does not make this standard operating procedure. If you were to see numerous examples of such, than you could start calculating your risks and appropriate agenda at that time. As of now, it is one isolated incident, which was sparked by the OP herself.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Ummm ask AE she went to SD last year to get the info first hand and they told her to pay on the way out. :confused:

Of course. As far as I know, you can still pay the overstay fee. I was responding to a post about getting a 90 day visa - there isn't one and, while technically DGM does offer a 60 day extension, nobody has been able to get one, nor would it be practical for most tourists even if it were.

And, yes, if I remember correctly, AE was one of those posters who did go to DGM and try to get the 60 day extension and they just told her to pay on the way out.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
These events are happening more and more lately. It does seem that Immigration officers are making an effort to enforce the 30 day tourist visa/card rule little by little. We have heard of multiple instances from individuals of various countries who have been denied entry to the Dominican Republic because they have repeatedly violated the 30-day tourist card period within a given year. It is also within the Immigration agent´s power to ask to see your return ticket to verify that your stay will be within the 30 day period.

"We have heard of multiple instances from individuals of various countries who have been denied entry to the Dominican Republic....."

Could you provide some more details in relation to this scenario? Such as from which countries, or which ports of entry guests are being denied? I am a regular business traveler into and out of SDQ, and I have never witnessed a foreigner be pulled aside and refused entry. Secondary screening of their luggage by Customs officials yes, sporadically. A foreign arrival removed from the queue and denied entry? Never. I am pretty sure it would cause quite the uproar, and I have yet to witness one. As far as outbound travel, the only people referred to the Immigration office are those that refuse, or otherwise can not pay the scheduled departure fee, thereby causing the problems themselves.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only way you will not get into the DR is if you are on a list of people denied entry. Not very easy to get on this list. And I can assure you on one here is on it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I agree w/ CB

3 months here deserves the benefits of a resident....
but w/o it.... you get nothing and just dangle in the breeze

It's a precarious position --- IMO

"3 months here deserves the benefits of a resident...."
I would have to politely disagree. Perhaps six months or more, within a twelve month period, but not three months. For a three month stay travelers from abroad should be entitled to residential benefits? A three month stay does not equate to being a resident. Here in the RD, nor any place else.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think any amount of time spent here entitles you to the benefits of being a resident. You have to apply for and become a legal resident to be entitled to the benefits of being a resident.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The last time I flew out of SDQ a few weeks ago, there were military guys standing by the exit from immigration, and they were giving anyone who had stayed longer than the 30 days a hard time - I have residency so I was fine, but I kind of hovered to find out what was happening. And it seemed that they were targeting people who had overstayed, even after they had paid the fine, they wanted to know why the person had overstayed, had they changed their flight, what had been the purpose of their visit. One guy was getting very angry with them and it didn't seem to be working.

I think the message is that this has been a long time coming. Immigration rules have been more and more enforced over the years, and sooner or later they are going to insist that anyone on a tourist visa only stays for 30 days. I don't understand why Americans think that this is such a big issue, given that if anyone stays by a minute longer than their visa allows in the US, they are in reasonably serious trouble and usually banned for 10 years from re-entering.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The DR really needs to be in line with most other major tourist destinations that offer 90 day tourist visas - many with a 90 day extension easily available, and some even offer 6 month tourist visas.

These other countries seem to understand that, the longer you stay - the more money you will spend! Going into their economy!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I flew out of SDQ Nov 8th, paid my overstay fee as usual with no problems. Flew back in last week to STI after a horrendous journey and mistakenly put length of stay something like 45 days. I was briefly questioned about it then allowed to pass. Less than a minute delay. I usually put 28 days, not really a lie because I never know when I'll be leaving again and I don't know isn't an acceptable response.
As for me, I will continue to pay the overstay until if and when forced to get residency.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
These are relatively new measures, in effect for about a year or so. Any foreign passport is blocked after 30 days (or 90, don’t recall) and you have to unblock it at a special migration stall where they copy your passport and residence card. I figure it is to avoid that immigration officers let you pass without the official fine if you are not a resident. Apparently they don’t have a way to separate the residents from the non-residents just by passport number. When I asked they said they were working on that. But who knows if that’s really through.

They do this even when you are a citizen. I just went through this in November. The guy told me that the computer automatically blocks the passport on day 31. Unblocking it took about 5-6 minutes and then back through the passport control, stamp and good to go.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The last time I flew out of SDQ a few weeks ago, there were military guys standing by the exit from immigration, and they were giving anyone who had stayed longer than the 30 days a hard time - I have residency so I was fine, but I kind of hovered to find out what was happening. And it seemed that they were targeting people who had overstayed, even after they had paid the fine, they wanted to know why the person had overstayed, had they changed their flight, what had been the purpose of their visit. One guy was getting very angry with them and it didn't seem to be working.

I think the message is that this has been a long time coming. Immigration rules have been more and more enforced over the years, and sooner or later they are going to insist that anyone on a tourist visa only stays for 30 days. I don't understand why Americans think that this is such a big issue, given that if anyone stays by a minute longer than their visa allows in the US, they are in reasonably serious trouble and usually banned for 10 years from re-entering.

A rather highly unlikely scenario indeed. I say highly unlikely because the RD military defers to the Direccion General De Migracion, not vice versa. If alone, such as in regards to Haitian border checkpoints, the military would be tasked with enforcing these rules, up to the point an Immigration official would make the final determination. At SDQ, the immigration booths are no further than 15 feet away from the sole entrance to the gate areas. There is no reason for there to be a military checkpoint 15 feet away from the Immigration counters, and one would only have to request that the questioning individual refer to the respective Immigration official who just cleared the traveler all of 10 seconds prior.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
A rather highly unlikely scenario indeed. I say highly unlikely because the RD military defers to the Direccion General De Migracion, not vice versa. If alone, such as in regards to Haitian border checkpoints, the military would be tasked with enforcing these rules, up to the point an Immigration official would make the final determination. At SDQ, the immigration booths are no further than 15 feet away from the sole entrance to the gate areas. There is no reason for there to be a military checkpoint 15 feet away from the Immigration counters, and one would only have to request that the questioning individual refer to the respective Immigration official who just cleared the traveler all of 10 seconds prior.

Honestly I'm not making it up, I left on December 19th. As you exit immigration you hand in the slip of paper with the stamp on the back. There was a woman taking the slips of paper and some uniformed guys standing next to her, maybe 5 or 6 guys, and anyone who had overstayed was referred to them. At first they thought I had overstayed, so she told me I had to talk to them, then I showed them my residency and they said i could go. They were standing just outside the exit from immigration where you turn left for B gates and right for A gates.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I would think the larger question at hand is why do visitors only encounter these problems within the month of January each calendar year? Not within the other months. Furthermore, it also seems that it is limited to certain visitors. There is no new, broad sweeping policy. Nor are there masses of people suffering hardships due to such. It seems much more feasable that these problems or situations are driven by those with their own personal agendas. Whether it be a desire to see a reform of the existing entry/exit policies, residency issues, or even to the extent of a business module for some.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
So what exactly does this mean on the Migracion site:

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/Index/21

Matilda

COSTO
Tabla costo de Estadía

Tiempo de Estadía
Tarifa Vigente
30 Días A 90 Días
RD$ 2,500.00
3 A 9 Meses
RD$ 4,000.00
9 A 12 Meses
RD$ 5,000.00
12 A 18 Meses
RD$ 6,500.00
18 A 24 Meses
RD$ 8,000.00
24 A 30 Meses
RD$ 9,500.00
30 A 36 Meses
RD$ 11,000.00
36 A 48 Meses
RD$ 16,000.00
48 A 60 Meses
RD$ 20,000.00
6 Años
RD$ 30,000.00
7 Años
RD$ 40,000.00
8 Años
RD$ 50,000.00
9 Años
RD$ 60,000.00
10 AÑOS
RD$ 70,000.00
Just do not commit a crime in conjunction with being in the RD over 30 days.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Honestly I'm not making it up, I left on December 19th. As you exit immigration you hand in the slip of paper with the stamp on the back. There was a woman taking the slips of paper and some uniformed guys standing next to her, maybe 5 or 6 guys, and anyone who had overstayed was referred to them. At first they thought I had overstayed, so she told me I had to talk to them, then I showed them my residency and they said i could go. They were standing just outside the exit from immigration where you turn left for B gates and right for A gates.

I can not deny your interpretation of events on December 19th, as I was not there. I did state that it was a highly unlikely scenario. One that I have never witnessed in all of my travels through that very same location. Just beyond the immigration counters at SDQ, is where you are to hand over that piece of paper in full view of the Immigration official who just cleared you, and embossed your passport with an exit/salida stamp ten seconds earlier. In a non-confrontational or hostile manner, I would refer any questions back to that previous Immigration official, who is the person that makes the ultimate decision to detain you or not. If Immigration has cleared you, the military will not, and can not detain you....10 seconds later. In all of my years of traveling through SDQ, the only problems I have witnessed first hand, are those caused by individual persons themselves. They tend to be the types that frequent traveling persons would ordinarily shake their head at, regardless of airport or country.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"3 months here deserves the benefits of a resident...."
I would have to politely disagree. Perhaps six months or more, within a twelve month period, but not three months. For a three month stay travelers from abroad should be entitled to residential benefits? A three month stay does not equate to being a resident. Here in the RD, nor any place else.

What I meant was that for a 90 day stay the right to legally drive, etc should be afforded.
Perhaps not full residency rights but more than the AI traveler ....
I agree - it's 'iffy' territory but some accommodation might encourage tourism/ long term visitors who will develop into residents

I don't think any amount of time spent here entitles you to the benefits of being a resident. You have to apply for and become a legal resident to be entitled to the benefits of being a resident.

I see your point...and I see the problem as they 'raise the hurdle' for residency.
Daunting for many.....

The only good news about RD residency is that (unlike many countries) there is no minimum stay requirement...
Just a no absence of more than 6 months rule

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
One example we have first hand knowledge of is someone from Brazil who has overstayed several times during the same calendar year. In regards to the others we have received second hand accounts from colleagues who work with Immigration. 

But the news article link added to this thread mentioned that thousands have been denied entry during 2017.