Sunday party in campo (pictures)

Sep 19, 2005
I wonder whats up with the trees growing out of the water.. was the river only recently damed up?

do you think the folks at DR1 like the gentler, kinder AZB?? ha ha ha ha

find your spot bro!!

I want a DO OVER in Cotui!!! ha ha ha ha

bad bad bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB you guys like that spot, and its beautiful, that's where you went last time.

Nop, that was another place. This place is more civilized, place to sit and listen to music as we have electric outlets. water is clean.

Bob, I think its a man made lake for dam purposes.
AZB

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Those pics were beautiful. Looks like a fun time was had. AZB, what kind of phone do you have? Picture quality is excellent.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its a sony ericsson K790A.
Takes good pictures, 4 gig memory in chip (meaning lots of mp3 music) fm radio and a 3.2 meg pix camera with a real flash.
AZB

May 12, 2005
AZB, do you realize what this post means? Next time you go there the place will be inundated with Hawaiian shirts and sandals wearing tourists. Yikes!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I would like to know if someone can point it out to me, what makes a well-to-do dominican a snob? I keep hearing from many expats and tourists that well-to-do dominicans are pigs, snobs and show offs while the poor dominicans in barrios are real human beings. Ok, i agree there are great people living in barrios just like I saw many good people in the town of sabana iglesia. But here is an example in showing all you folks that there is nothing wrong with socializing with the richer dominicans for a change. I see no down side to it. I was invited by the people of ron bermudez. Usually they drive me around in SUV's, offer me free food and free drinks (VIP all the way). Then people like Don Filipe (not just respectable but extremely rich as well) who takes care of his town, feeds the general public, gives them free entertainment and helps them in daily needs. So where is the snobbish behavior in men like him? He treated me like VIP, gave me respect, fed me with great meal, offered me cuban cigars, Johnny walker blue label and invited me to come as many times as I like. His friends treated me well and invited me to their homes. I was given a royal treatment all the way.
So please tell me, why is it so bad to even mention people like them on Dr1? What is it that disturbs you so much about people who live well here and do not need expat's money or their friendship? I didn't find one person there who was impressed by my passport or by my outlook. They accepted me as a person and treated me accordingly. No one needed any loan from me and no one offered me their sister in exchange for help.
So here is an example or I should say, benefits of socializing with the real dominicans.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AZB, where on this thread has anyone responded by describing your friends as snobs?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, where on this thread has anyone responded by describing your friends as snobs?

isn't this the case since dr1 has started? Rich = snobs, poor = good human beings?
Just a point I want to make, there is nothing wrong with socializing with the rich as well. they are not such bad people as many seem to think.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Looks like you're picking a fight because no one has reacted in this way in this thread at least.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Looks like you're picking a fight because no one has reacted in this way in this thread at least.

hahaha, come to think of it, it sounds like this but I am not picking a fight, just a comment. Lets move on. The thread could be closed if you like. The point of this thread was to show another beautiful campo of santiago.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With regard to the snob issue, I find many wealthy Dominicans snobbish like when driving there jipetas, but typically not so when you get a chance to talk to them. I play golf with Santiago's elite on a consistant basis, and most of the people are polite and friendly. Sure, I have played with a couple of snobs (none of which were "white") but then again played with the owner of one of the largest condiment providers here in the DR and for the hispanic market in the US and this guy was as down to earth as any person I have ever met.

As far as "poor" people go, I have met good ones as well as bad ones, as one might expect. Class is not "class" dependent.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
With regard to the snob issue, I find many wealthy Dominicans snobbish like when driving there jipetas, but typically not so when you get a chance to talk to them. I play golf with Santiago's elite on a consistant basis, and most of the people are polite and friendly. Sure, I have played with a couple of snobs (none of which were "white") but then again played with the owner of one of the largest condiment providers here in the DR and for the hispanic market in the US and this guy was as down to earth as any person I have ever met.

As far as "poor" people go, I have met good ones as well as bad ones, as one might expect. Class is not "class" dependent.

Exactly what chips said.
AZB

monster

Oct 16, 2005
the people in the pictures didn't even make me think they were rich, just good people having a good time.in santo domingo its different though, no nice "campo" parks to hang around like that. cool pictures btw.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The people that AZB hung out with on Sunday sound like great people but it has been my experience that you meet those type of people (rich but down to earth) by accident or through other acquaintances. Almost all of the upper class people (Dominicans) that I have met have been snobs which I think is one of the reasons I feel much more at home in the campo.
The people in my urbanizacion are middle class but rarely fraternize (did I spell that correctly?) and that's not me...
I mean, there has to be an in between and it looks like AZB found some.
I also must say that I have not "looked" for these types of people based on some misguiding comments that I read on DR1 when I first started to post...one being that well bred, or respectable dominicans don't like Bachata. That was what nipped it in the bud for me! From that point I was on a "respectable Dominican" diet! But look now...rich, well bred Dominicans having fun and (dare we say it) dancing bachata!
95% of my friends here are simple, from a campo folk. Would I like to have campo type fun with some Dominicans that don't have to pawn their cadenas to go to a party, yes, but they are few and far between.
SHALENA

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would like to know if someone can point it out to me, what makes a well-to-do dominican a snob?
AZB
Rich Dominicans are labeled as snobs because most foreigners can't impress a rich Dominican in the same way they impress poor Dominicans.

Whatever a foreigner does to impress a Dominican, a rich Dominican can do to counter that impression; just to show that he/she is not impressed or simply because he/she is used to that type of stuff.

That action is an ego destroyer to people that are used to impressing Dominicans left and right by simply being a gringo.

Its not much different with rich people anywhere else. The average person have stereotypes of what they think a rich person is like, the least contact they have with rich people the more incorrect their stereotype is.

Do you know how often people say "I met so and so, if you would see him on the street you would not even know he's rich" or "they are such good people despite being rich" or maybe even "they are so normal".

Blame it on Hollywood, I guess.

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
With regard to the snob issue, I find many wealthy Dominicans snobbish like when driving there jipetas...
If snobbish behavior is related to the way people drive, then there are plenty of non-rich-Dominicans that would be considered snobs. After all, there is nothing more annoying than being on a multi-lane avenue and a carro p?blico on the far right lane decides to make a left turn crossing all other lanes, causing everyone to slam on their brakes!

Or a guagua in front of you slamming their brakes every other minute or tailgating.

I don't think driving = snob, at least not in the DR.

-NALs :cheeky:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Rich Dominicans are labeled as snobs because most foreigners can't impress a rich Dominican in the same way they impress poor Dominicans.

Whatever a foreigner does to impress a Dominican, a rich Dominican can do to counter that impression; just to show that he/she is not impressed or simply because he/she is used to that type of stuff.

That action is an ego destroyer to people that are used to impressing Dominicans left and right by simply being a gringo.

Its not much different with rich people anywhere else. The average person have stereotypes of what they think a rich person is like, the least contact they have with rich people the more incorrect their stereotype is.

Do you know how often people say "I met so and so, if you would see him on the street you would not even know he's rich" or "they are such good people despite being rich" or maybe even "they are so normal".

Blame it on Hollywood, I guess.

-NALs

Don't agree with that...or at least not in my opinion. When I call someone a Snob it means to me someone that thinks that they are above everyone else. That if you don't make X amount of money you are beneath them. I don't think it has anything to do with trying to impress anyone. I try my best not to be "overly" impressive, although sometimes I fail because I am still in my NA thinking (like wanting to give Christmas bags to the trash guys;))
There are middle to upper class Dominicans that I could be good friends with but they would never know that because they are too busy with their heads up their a**es, although 50% of them I could buy twice over...
I just want to meet some down to earth people, who don't twist their face up if a poor begging child gets too close to their jeepeta, or makes a sign of disgust when "Cuantos Dias Mas" by Antony Santos comes on for the 50th time that day:classic:
SHALENA

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If snobbish behavior is related to the way people drive, then there are plenty of non-rich-Dominicans that would be considered snobs. After all, there is nothing more annoying than being on a multi-lane avenue and a carro p?blico on the far right lane decides to make a left turn crossing all other lanes, causing everyone to slam on their brakes!

Or a guagua in front of you slamming their brakes every other minute or tailgating.

I don't think driving = snob, at least not in the DR.

-NALs :cheeky:

Oh boy, I am glad you said it. I was thinking in the same lines but I didn't want to prolong this discussion any further so I refrained from posting.
Very good point.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Don't agree with that...or at least not in my opinion. When I call someone a Snob it means to me someone that thinks that they are above everyone else. That if you don't make X amount of money you are beneath them. I don't think it has anything to do with trying to impress anyone. I try my best not to be "overly" impressive, although sometimes I fail because I am still in my NA thinking (like wanting to give Christmas bags to the trash guys;))
There are middle to upper class Dominicans that I could be good friends with but they would never know that because they are too busy with their heads up their a**es, although 50% of them I could buy twice over...
I just want to meet some down to earth people, who don't twist their face up if a poor begging child gets too close to their jeepeta, or makes a sign of disgust when "Cuantos Dias Mas" by Antony Santos comes on for the 50th time that day:classic:
SHALENA

Shalena, majority of rich or middle class folks are not snobs at all. I find them to be the most friendliest of all. Life is really normal around them (in my case). They are educated, I don't have to explain how life is lived in USA, I am not worried I have to pay their bill at the end of the night, I am don't have to give them a long explanation that pakistan is not an arab country and we have no war going on there, I am not confused for a terrorist, they treat me as opposed to me treating them all the time etc etc.I see no place for a snobbish label anywhere.
Now, not all dominicans have to love Bachata, maybe some of them simply had enough of Anthony santos.It maybe new music to you but remember most dominicans are raised here listening to this music, .
There is plenty of good latin music around, not every dominican has to listen to burracha music which seems to be based on barrio culture and morena who left him or the morena he loves so much etc etc. There is far more to latin music than simply listening to bachata. I got turned off from Anthony Santo when I was invited to his concert in a barrio many years ago. The place was packed with barrio tigres. When Mr. Santos came on stage, he put a body guard type tigre right in front of himself with an uzi machine in hand. This is so chopoish that I simply had to laugh.
I am not a fan of carwash bachata music but that doesn't mean I am a snob. I do help the poor whom I feel deserve my money.I hand out 100 peso bills to beggers whom I feel deserve help. beggers without limbs and old women who are desperately in need for cash. So I hate Anthony santos music but does that make me a bad person?
Nals is correct, people who have little contact with the rich-middle class folks tend to have a distorted view of them. This saturday my friends will take me to nagua for a party. Transportation, booze and food will be covered by them. Now does that seem like a bad deal at all to anyone?I think not.
If I go to NY, guess who will take me to the airport?
AZB