Swine Flu, just in case

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Flufall Commissions

Does anyone know how the port and airport personnel are going to comply with the Public Health Minister's mandate to "evaluate all passengers from countries where cases of swine flu have been reported"? Good opportunity for digital thermometer sales rep....and masks, latex gloves,handkerchiefs, hazmat suits etc.

The normal rut, as usual.
They are waiting for a meeting in which they are going to decide what to decide.
http://www.listindiario.com/app/article.aspx?id=99223
In the meanwhile certain people are busy calculating their commissions on the procurement of the above mentioned items.

jojocdn

Mar 9, 2008
For the latest coverage regarding this particular outbreak, refer to the World Health Organization website...info is updated frequently, including case index and precautions to take, symptoms, treatment, etc.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Swine influenza

27 April 2009 -- The Emergency Committee, established in compliance with the International Health Regulations (2005), held its second meeting on 27 April 2009. The Committee considered available data on confirmed outbreaks of A/H1N1 swine influenza in the United States of America, Mexico, and Canada. The Committee also considered reports of possible spread to additional countries. On the advice of the Committee, the WHO Director-General has raised the level of influenza pandemic alert from the current phase 3 to phase 4.

World Health Organization

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so should the borders towards mexico, usa and canada be closed?
i hope we get at least affective checks at the ports and airports for all passengers coming in from those countries including the other countries which reported infections, like UK, Belgium, aso.
heck,
that stuff does not sound funny.
has anybody notice about 'what kind of preparedness' our airports have at this moment?
Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
SOAP -- this is the commodity that is completely missing in any and all of public facilities here in the DR.....I have been in comedors that offer no handwashing facilities, in bus stop stations that have no soap (or tp or paper towels).....
So perhaps this will increase pressure on at least food facilities - to provide SOAP at least.

I can understand the fatalities in Mexico- I got sick to death (meaning that I wished I was dead!) there and in Guatemala but nothing like that in the DR. But Pedro is right, this is an odd flu, that has killed not the very young and aged who are the most vulnerable but those in the "peak" of life - from 14 to 50.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no cases on the Isle so far, at least non detected.
but we are for such a high risk area, we receive visitors from all over the globe 24/7, specially from the countries who spread actually that flu like mexico, usa, canada, spain, britain.
Ginnies article link provides the usual politicians talking, i do not believe a thing of their talking about their preventive measures/actions at the airports. they wanna check every passenger coming in from on of those countries?
i don't believe that will be possible.
and sanitary facilities at most public places on the island are a dirty mess, we all know how toilets aso at a usual roadside parador look like, no papertowels/soap aso, and those are the places where most of the working/travelling public get's his/her food once a day.
if such virus starts to spread out here it will spread around right away.
CC,
the swines are not the ones in danger, lol.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thanks for that map Juanita, good info.
that's quiet a quantity of locations detected in just 1 week,
i i bet many countries did not search very deeply for that virus, yet.
let's go fishing for a week,
and don't tell me fishies can pass that to us.
Mike

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Here in Canada there have been 6 confirmed cases. I live about an hour and a half from the private school where 4 teens have been confimed to have it and many more have been quarentined with flu like symptoms but are testing negative for swine flu.So far they are saying that these kids have had very mild symptoms and all but one has recovered and been cleared.One of the kids who tested positive was on a school trip to Mexico from April 1-8. The others were not abroad.
Flu symptoms I can handle but what about all the deaths in Mexico??It seems a bit odd that so many there have died but here and in the states the reports are saying that victims have mild symptoms...In fact the symptoms are pretty much the same as a flu that has gone around here all winter. At one point there were 12 kids out sick in a classroom of 17 in my son`s school.My whole family has had a cold now for a week and a half...I`m a bit worried that if people do come down with something more they may not know it till it`s too late.There has just been so much going around this year.
I`m glad to hear that so far the DR hasn`t been effected. I`m planning to come for a two week trip in July and I hope that for everyone`s sake this whole thing will be over by then.The world is in a big enough mess right now with the economy and everything...I think it`s time for positive things to happen.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know if i read it in this thread or elsewhere, but it is being said that the Mexican victims did not act immediately upon developing symptoms, with tragic consequences, and now that everyone is aware of the risk people are seeing doctors at the first hint of symptoms.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
I'm wondering, what is all this talk doing? Either you can live terrified or live smart, live normal.

My friends think I'm weird because I don't share drinks. I wash my hands all the time, etc. - just be safe and do what you can do. If you're meant to get the flu, you'll get it eventually. If not, then great. :)

It's like the economy - we talk these things up so much it's like we're making it worse by focusing on it.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Notice from US Embassy...............

TO: U.S. Citizens

DATE: April 28, 2009

SUBJECT: Information on Influenza A H1N1

The following Warden Message is being transmitted to give U.S. citizens in the Dominican Republic the latest information on influenza AH1N1, commonly known as swine flu. At this time, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) in the U.S. and the Ministry of Health in the Dominican Republic are reporting that there are no known cases of influenza AH1N1 in the Dominican Republic. The U.S. Embassy and the government of the Dominican Republic continue to monitor the situation here.

Based on the current number of documented cases in Mexico, the State Department and the CDC have issued a travel alert for Mexico advising people to avoid non-essential travel to Mexico. The full text of the travel alert can be found at Mexico Travel Alert: Swine Flu

The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Santo Domingo that most cases of influenza are not influenza A H1N1; any specific questions or concerns about flu or other illnesses should be directed to a medical professional. Although the U.S. Embassy cannot give medical advice or provide medical services to the public, a list of hospitals and doctors can be found on our website at the following link:
http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/doctors_and_hospitals.pdf

For further information about AH1N1, including steps you can take to stay healthy, please consult the Department of State information at Swine Flu Outbreak Information , the United States Centers for Disease Control website at CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu) , and the World Health Organization website at WHO | Swine influenza For additional travel safety information, please consult the State Department?s website at Welcome to Travel.State.Gov .

U.S. citizens may also call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the United States for the latest travel information. The Office of Overseas Citizens Services can be reached from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, Monday through Friday, by calling 1-888-407-4747 from within the U.S. and Canada, or by calling (202) 501-4444 from other countries.

The U.S. Embassy will update this warden message if new information becomes available.
American citizens traveling or residing overseas are encouraged to register with the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the State Department?s travel registration website at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/

For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Section of the Embassy is located at the corner of Cesar Nicolas Penson Street and M?ximo G?mez Avenue, Santo Domingo, D.R.; telephone 809-731-4294; after hours emergency telephone 809-221-2171; ACS unit fax 809-689-6142; e-mail acssantodom@state.gov; web page Embassy of the United States Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - Home

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Here in Canada there have been 6 confirmed cases. I live about an hour and a half from the private school where 4 teens have been confimed to have it and many more have been quarentined with flu like symptoms but are testing negative for swine flu.So far they are saying that these kids have had very mild symptoms and all but one has recovered and been cleared.One of the kids who tested positive was on a school trip to Mexico from April 1-8. The others were not abroad.
Flu symptoms I can handle but what about all the deaths in Mexico??It seems a bit odd that so many there have died but here and in the states the reports are saying that victims have mild symptoms...In fact the symptoms are pretty much the same as a flu that has gone around here all winter. At one point there were 12 kids out sick in a classroom of 17 in my son`s school.My whole family has had a cold now for a week and a half...I`m a bit worried that if people do come down with something more they may not know it till it`s too late.There has just been so much going around this year.
I`m glad to hear that so far the DR hasn`t been effected. I`m planning to come for a two week trip in July and I hope that for everyone`s sake this whole thing will be over by then.The world is in a big enough mess right now with the economy and everything...I think it`s time for positive things to happen.

of course we all hope such is over soon, it would not have any positive aeffect on our tourism industry if we need to do a health check on every incoming canadian or us visitor prior to allow to pass customs. glad to read that the teens back from their mexico visit are mostly fine again, going to class or a shopping mall or a cinema or walking a airport with such stuff unknowingly in somebody's body could spread it all over.

I don't know if i read it in this thread or elsewhere, but it is being said that the Mexican victims did not act immediately upon developing symptoms, with tragic consequences, and now that everyone is aware of the risk people are seeing doctors at the first hint of symptoms.

yeap Chiri, that's always the prob when something newly comes up/starts, nobody knows aboiut it so nobody can act accordingly. the given systems are the systems we may see/feel when we get a cold/a simple ordinary well known flu, from my own i have to state that i never in my entire life went to a doctor when i got the flu or a cold, just curing such at home like usual. sure right now knowing that something bad is out there with the same simple syptons i would run to the next doc for a check right away if i start to get a bit of a temperature during the night. after the fatal deads of so many i would say the people in mexico consult medic assistance when any of the syptoms show up, so the danger of a fatal outcome is much lower. of course the same is valid for any other country, no it is looked for that virus and when any sympton is showing up a warned medic will test for exactly that specific virus.
i still did not read/hear about cases here on the Isle, of course i hope we never will and wish the same to every other country.
Mike

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Most people, who get the swine flu, make a full recovery.

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person recovers fully in a few days.

Swine Influenza

==

Too much is being made about all this, especially on the news. Maybe here, in the USA, it's a way of diverting attention from the bad economy or the fact there are soldiers still stationed in Iraq.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Most people, who get the swine flu, make a full recovery.

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person recovers fully in a few days.

Swine Influenza

==

Too much is being made about all this, especially on the news. Maybe here, in the USA, it's a way of diverting attention from the bad economy or the fact there are soldiers still stationed in Iraq.

while i sure don't say americans wouldn't make such up i do def not believe that mexicans would die for such. and those deads are a matter of fact i guess.
Mike