Swine Flu, just in case

Radel

Mar 3, 2008
But Pedro is right, this is an odd flu, that has killed not the very young and aged who are the most vulnerable but those in the "peak" of life - from 14 to 50.

That's because this particular flu causes your immune system to go berzerk and kill you... the healthier your immune system the more probabablity you have of dying , it's like HIV in reverse. This is no ordinary flu , it's a bio-weapon realesed on the mexican people at a time when they are the brink of a revolution

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Informational sources are available, please use them.
The only accredited source of info for the DR at this time
is the Minister of Public Health, who constantly maintains contact
with CDC (Center for Disease Control), the WHO (World Health Organization)
and a variety of other resources.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Except this time the fittest seem to be dying.
Perhaps we need to redefine "fittest"?
Perhaps the "fittest" is the out of shape old codger like me, after all!!!

:bunny:

The interesting thing is that viruses have been around much longer than us and at times they seem to have the upper hand. Talk about the "fittest" these little buggers can kill. I think evolution wise viruses will outlast us.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's because this particular flu causes your immune system to go berzerk and kill you... the healthier your immune system the more probabablity you have of dying , it's like HIV in reverse. This is no ordinary flu , it's a bio-weapon realesed on the mexican people at a time when they are the brink of a revolution

I'm afraid the conspiracy theorists got there before you.....:cheeky:

http://www.layscience.net/node/533

As Swine Flu Spreads, Conspiracy Theories of Laboratory Origins Abound by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
The first death has been reported in here in TX. A 23 month old child has died. There are a couple of school districts closed and lots of parents keeping their kids home from school. It's time for the U.S. to close the border crossings for all non-essential travelers.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I am a big fan of washing my hands and sneezing into the crook of my arm but that is not a popular custom here...are we doomed if this flu gets here?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
It's important to keep in mind that in an average flu season -- and I'm talking about the normal winter flu season -- about 36,000 people die from the flu. Let me repeat that -- 36,000 people! Yes, that's a huge number and most people are shocked when I tell them that. But it helps drive home a very important point.

something to think about- before we panic too much

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
JR,
your number is much too low, you refer to just one country?
the point with newer visrus strings like the swineflu is that they do not easily go away after a few days like a usual flu does, i mean many millions of people on the globe get a flu every year and compared to the "few" who die on such and mostly b/c of poor or non existent preventive measures like getting shots or combined together with other illnesses i would name it non mortal.
while the swine flu as known til now catches a few people but causes serious damage and/or dead to a high percentage of the few infected persons, even on persons in good health shape/not just new borns or elderly people.
Mike

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
...the swine flu as known til now catches a few people but causes serious damage and/or dead to a high percentage of the few infected persons, even on persons in good health shape/not just new borns or elderly people.
Mike

In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person recovers fully in a few days.

Swine Influenza

The swine flu hysteria must stop.

Why aren't the media focusing on all the deaths caused by the use of tobacco, poor diet, or automobile accidents?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The swine flu hysteria must stop.

Why aren't the media focusing on all the deaths caused by the use of tobacco, poor diet, or automobile accidents?

Because they can't blame it on the Mexicans for the other stuff :D ?

I agree with the hysteria thing, however, in a country like this one, where many have little access to appropriate medical help and also not the understanding on how to use medicine (one cap of colamdo 800mg Ampiciline is NOT appropriate medical treatment, much to the contrary). Antiviral drugs need to treat this flu (Tamiflu and Relenza) are expensive and need to be taken for 5 days. Swine Flue could thus affect a huge number of people within days or weeks once we see an outbrake and like in rural parts of Mexico cost the lives for many samll children and elderly.
This is a concern.

... J-D.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Swine flu: Your questions answered

By Elizabeth Cohen
CNN Senior Medical Correspondent

(CNN) -- Over the past week, I've been inundated with questions about swine flu, via Facebook, Twitter, CNN blogs and e-mail. So this week I'm empowering people with information about swine flu: how to protect yourself, what all the numbers mean and why you shouldn't freak out.

1. Hasn't swine flu been around for a while?

Yes. Swine flu was first identified in 1930 when researchers isolated the virus in a pig. In 1976, more than 200 soldiers at Fort Dix, New Jersey, got swine flu. From 1976 until 2005, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention received approximately one report every year or two of humans with swine flu. From December 2005 until January 2009, there were 12 cases of swine flu reported.

[snip]

5. Should I be freaking out?

A new virus spreading quickly around the world. Young, healthy people struck dead in Mexico. Should we all be panicking?

"Absolutely not," said Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of the department of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Swine flu, he said, "is not spreading all that rapidly. Take the St. Francis School in New York. There's been very little transmission from the schoolchildren to family members, and it certainly hasn't spread throughout Queens." iReport.com: Share your thoughts, concerns about swine flu

But, Schaffner added, this doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention to swine flu. "We should be alert, keep up with the information coming out daily, and take control by being attentive to your hygiene. Wash your hands very, very frequently and avoid people who are coughing and sneezing."
Don't Miss

* Meet the boy believed to be 'patient zero'
* Regular flu season precautions advised
* iReport.com: Worried about swine flu? Let us know

6. How close do you have to be to a sick person to get swine flu?

"You can acquire this infection if you're within the 'breathing zone' of a sick person, which is about three to six feet," Schaffner said. "And we usually mean being this close to someone in a confined space. We're not talking about fleeting contact. We're not talking about walking past someone in the street. You need sustained contact." If you think you might have sustained contact with someone who's ill, read this guidance from the CDC's Web site.

CNN link

Markstang

Apr 20, 2009
If nothing else, this is good practice for the real thing.

Based on the rate this virus is spreading and the death rate, there really is not much to worry about. Scientists have long anticipated a pandemic "super bug" that not only spreads like wildfire, but also can not be fought off by the human immune system. Such a virus did hit us not so long ago and killed millions.

The swine flu seems pretty harmless in comparison to other illnesses that you can contract much more easily. It is good to see the media all over this... although the media is spreading misinformation and panic when all of the scientists are saying to calm down, the real deal might be around the corner and we want to see it coming.