Swiss Tourists Beaten and Robbed in Puerto Plata

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The cops probably found those bozos an hour after the incident. And now two cops and their wives have Swiss watches and a down payment on a new jeepeta and four idiots caught an ass whooping or possible a nine millimeter headache and a new life feeding the crabs

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Why beat gang members?

The cops probably found those bozos an hour after the incident. And now two cops and their wives have Swiss watches and a down payment on a new jeepeta...

Yes, could very well be.

....and four idiots caught an ass whooping or possible a nine millimeter headache and a new life feeding the crabs

No, very unlikely.
Why would the cops beat or even kill their partners in crime from whom they always get a share of the booty??
Out they go and work!

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No details revealed

Maybe I missed something........
What were the ages and sexes of the tourists...........
What were the approximate ages of the offenders.............and how many......
Were they Dominican or Haitian.........or another........
Were they armed with guns or knives............
This info should also be posted..........

No, you did not miss anything.
All that information was just not given in the article..... ;)
However, the incident surely must have happened; but you are correct, the report lacks substantial information
(as so often).

Will the case be followed up?
I doubt it (see my post above).

donP

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
yeah, i have never been bothered either but i don't look like a tourist. maybe they did. and it was a reason enough to jump at them?

Maybe so, but I doubt we will never know the whole story and have to settle for speculation. It's sad that this happens, and during the day robbing four people is definately disturbing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Maybe so, but I doubt we will never know the whole story and have to settle for speculation. It's sad that this happens, and during the day robbing four people is definately disturbing.

when it happens at midday, in a location such as the malecon, the implications are not reassuring.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
What difference does it make if they were Dominicans or Haitians?

It makes a difference because that is information about a serious crime. A lot of robbery suspects have a mode of operation and work with the same group of people. Who knows what the police are going to do but at least everyone can be warned and be more cautious. If you frequent the area, own a business there, etc you should be informed of the crime in the area and a description of the suspects if possible.

All the details of the crime are imported and sharing that information can help others from being victims or potential catch the suspects. A forum like this is a great source to get this kind of information. I would of not read or see the article otherwise. Of course it is hard to know if the victims were doing something really dumb or not.

I am not sure about this victims but a lot of people can tell right away if someone is Dominican or Haitian. The age of the suspects would also be really helpful.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Midday on the Malec?n. Four severely beaten and thoroughly robbed (money and jewelry).
That takes time, makes noise, and had to have witnesses.
Beaten with what? Fists?
The bare bones of the facts beg horrendously for some flesh to the story. It's ridiculous even for DR reporting.

Some real bad fish smell to this article.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Have you not heard that this is going to be one of the new tours offered to the cruise line passengers - Get mugged in POP - chipy chipy!!!! tom

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i am looking at other media but no one else reported this as of yet. i was hoping for more info. usually detras de rumor jumps at it straight away...

Feb 15, 2005
Of course the news should post the most detailed description of the criminals possible. There must be some cameras on this street, is it not the most popular street in the city? Catch these animals, a group of attackers should be easy to identify by possible witnesses.

Its not their fault they were robbed, even if they had 100 bills hanging out of their pockets. But of course inquiring minds want to know why the brazen daytime attack on four people.

hahaha, cameras in the street? What is this New York City?

The freaking bridge tension cables, high voltage power lines are stolen here, with guys getting toasted in the process.
If you look foreign and looking around with that "fresh of the plane" look, you are a target. Now if you're foreign and have that grizzle "been here for a few years" look, you're actually safer.

How come the locals don't rob the brothers or latinos visiting Sosua or POP? Perhaps because we don't have that "nice and friendly" look.

It is what it is. As someone mentioned Politur has to start wearing their crush helmets and provide SERIOUS protection or we're looking at another Jamaica, which sucks.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It is what it is. As someone mentioned Politur has to start wearing their crush helmets and provide SERIOUS protection or we're looking at another Jamaica, which sucks.

I have walked and driven all over the West end of Jamaica every time of day and night alone, with fellow tourists, with locals and always with money for decades and no one has ever even looked close to trying to rob me as in a physical assault. The worst they've done is try to overprice whatever it was they were selling or try to negotiate until I got tired and quit and either bought the thing or walked away.

There are many, many little barrios in Santo Domingo which I won't ever be seen walking through and won't usually even enter unless I'm with a local companion who is armed. Even little Boca Chica has nooks and crannies that I won't consider walking through, especially at night. I feel safer walking around alone the South Bronx, East New York, North Philly, Southwest DC, East St. Louis or pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean except Puerto Rico than I do in much of the D.R. and especially Santo Domingo.

To be fair, I would probably take similar precautions in Kingston as I do in Santo Domingo. That being said, a small North Coast beach tourism town should not ever experience the type of broad daylight robbery reported here. You can't blame that on the police. The blame must rest squarely on the shoulders of the people who live there. It's one thing to get a tourist to pay $3.50 for a $0.50 lighter and an entirely different matter to just rough off tourists and rob them outright. The fact that this happened in the middle of the day and no one did anything to stop it speaks volumes about the future of tourism on the D.R. North Coast. The area's merchants should feel victimized by this type crime just as much as those tourists as it is they who will suffer more so financially in the long term.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The freaking bridge tension cables, high voltage power lines are stolen here, with guys getting toasted in the process.
If you look foreign and looking around with that "fresh of the plane" look, you are a target. Now if you're foreign and have that grizzle "been here for a few years" look, you're actually safer.

Oh I dunno, most of these attacks are against expats, not tourists. It is hard not to have been here a few years and not have that 'worn out and grizzly' look about you. My loved ones tell me that these days I look like I want to beat the sh1t out of any Dominican that comes within 100mtrs of me, still doesn't stop them trying to get one over on me.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The fact that this happened in the middle of the day and no one did anything to stop it
I thought you would know better than that by now. Never get involved in anyone elses business, and certainly never try to stop someone taking a beating that would most likely end up in you taking a bullet. Not just mugging, but accidents or anything. I remember years ago when my mother was visiting and we saw a kid get knocked down right infront of us. My mothers instinct was to jump up and run to help, I had told her back as tough as it seems, even when a 12 year olds leg is hanging off and say you are a nurse. Doing the right thing here never ends positive, ever.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The fact that this happened in the middle of the day and no one did anything to stop it
I thought you would know better than that by now. Never get involved in anyone elses business, and certainly never try to stop someone taking a beating that would most likely end up in you taking a bullet. Not just mugging, but accidents or anything. I remember years ago when my mother was visiting and we saw a kid get knocked down right infront of us. My mothers instinct was to jump up and run to help, I had told her back as tough as it seems, even when a 12 year olds leg is hanging off and say you are a nurse. Doing the right thing here never ends positive, ever.
I'm a native NYer and I understand you completely. The 1st and only time anyone ever tried to stick me up at gunpoint in NY I was coming home from work at 3am (GPONY) and was approached walking from the 125 St. station on Lennox. There's a Starbucks there now and People walking their dogs at night. Cultures change because People decide it's time.

My point is that until the merchants and business People take ownership of the local culture and protect their interests (tourist $$) at gun point if need be, they will continue to see a decline in the industry that feeds their Children. Cultures can and will change when locals decide that "enough is enough".

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Stay Away from the Police

(...) The fact that this happened in the middle of the day and no one did anything to stop it speaks volumes about the future of tourism on the D.R. North Coast. The area's merchants should feel victimized by this type crime just as much as those tourists as it is they who will suffer more so financially in the long term.

1. People do complain and very well know that such crimes will affect tourism:
"Residentes en Puerto Plata mostraron preocupaci?n por la inseguridad. Dicen que esto afecta el turismo.
En varias ocasiones, se han denunciado robos y atracos a extranjeros en varias zonas tur?sticas de Puerto Plata."

2. It is likely that people even know the criminals:
"De acuerdo a las informaciones, los delincuentes residen en los sectores Bello Costero y Padre Granero, de esta ciudad."

However:
Dominicans do not co-operate with the police, and less come forward as a witness.
I do not blame them for that, because you just cannot know how much the police is involved in those crimes or benefits from them.

Dominicans say, that going to the police (for whatever reason) just makes things worse.

donP

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'm a native NYer and I understand you completely. The 1st and only time anyone ever tried to stick me up at gunpoint in NY I was coming home from work at 3am (GPONY) and was approached walking from the 125 St. station on Lennox. There's a Starbucks there now and People walking their dogs at night. Cultures change because People decide it's time.

My point is that until the merchants and business People take ownership of the local culture and protect their interests (tourist $$) at gun point if need be, they will continue to see a decline in the industry that feeds their Children. Cultures can and will change when locals decide that "enough is enough".

Dominicans don't make a stand, they are doormats to their own government, and have adjusted. It's too hot to make change, why do anything when you can do nothing and pretend things are just how they are because........., no, just because!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Dominicans don't make a stand, they are doormats to their own government, and have adjusted. It's too hot to make change, why do anything when you can do nothing and pretend things are just how they are because........., no, just because!

Yes, you are right. Dominicans NOW do nothing and yes, they are doormats to the gov't
because they got the crap beaten out of them throughout the years by the police and military .

Dominicans have been subjugated and now the country is sort of a dictatorship.

The people have become" sheeple."

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
[sarcasm]Clearly, a mugging on the malecon in broad daylight is not the issue. According to the Ministry of Tourism, the real problem is all the chicas in Sosua.[/sarcasm]

That shiny new cruise port is going to be sitting empty if there are one or two more incidents like this, chicas or no chicas.

Unless Carnival's planning to offer an "authentic mugging" excursion, someone needs to get their priorities in order!