Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As of today, there are over 150 charging stations installed or in the process of being installed. The goal is to have 500 stations up and running at the end of 2021.

There is decent coverage now, and it will be getting better every day. Evergo is the company doing most of the installations:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
As of today, there are over 150 charging stations installed or in the process of being installed. The goal is to have 500 stations up and running at the end of 2021.

There is decent coverage now, and it will be getting better every day. Evergo is the company doing most of the installations:

I have 11 Nissan Leafs coming in June 25th for a client. They are part of a tourist project in the Punta Cana area and will have their own independent charging facility.

The DR is still lacking in charging infrastructure to make EV's viable for everyday intra island usage, but for short haul trips with independent charging systems at ones place of business or home, they are now viable.

With Ley 113-03 giving 50% tax reductions across the board, including first placa and ITBIS, and the range increasing with every model year, they are starting to get some attention in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
they can charge using the new solar park here in San Cristobal

1623435134352.png

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We put our order in with a whole U.S. $100. Deposit almost 2 years ago for a Cyber truck. No delivery date yet. Back then... it had the range of north coast to S.D. and back without needing a charge. It also had an option of it's own solar panel charging.

So many new options so not sure if we will close that deal and take our refund.

Still waiting to see what, if any, import tax breaks you get for electric. None that I can find.

Jan 9, 2004
We put our order in with a whole U.S. $100. Deposit almost 2 years ago for a Cyber truck. No delivery date yet. Back then... it had the range of north coast to S.D. and back without needing a charge. It also had an option of it's own solar panel charging.

So many new options so not sure if we will close that deal and take our refund.

Still waiting to see what, if any, import tax breaks you get for electric. None that I can find.

Read post number 2 above. Ley 113-03 gives an across the board 50% reduction.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How much more will one pay for a Chevy Bolt or Tesla in the DR versus the USA?

How long before gasoline stations become obsolete? Or very limited in supply?

I have three gasoline powered vehicles. I normally ride a vehicle until it is no longer worth repairing, so
I might never get to won an electric car here. One of my friends just went totally electric in the US with a Model Y Tesla and a Chevy Bolt.

Reactions: zoomzx11
Jan 9, 2004
How much more will one pay for a Chevy Bolt or Tesla in the DR versus the USA?

How long before gasoline stations become obsolete? Or very limited in supply?

I have three gasoline powered vehicles. I normally ride a vehicle until it is no longer worth repairing, so
I might never get to won an electric car here. One of my friends just went totally electric in the US with a Model Y Tesla and a Chevy Bolt.

In the case of the Nissan Leafs being brought in June 25th, it works out to approximately $3,800 per car which includes shipping.

As to “gasoline” stations as we know them……50 years…..at least.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
50 years is a long time, compadre.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In the case of the Nissan Leafs being brought in June 25th, it works out to approximately $3,800 per car which includes shipping.

As to “gasoline” stations as we know them……50 years…..at least.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
So I could pay for a new Nissan Leaf in the US which is around $32,000 US and have it here "all in " and licensed for only $3,800 US additional?

Jan 9, 2004
So I could pay for a new Nissan Leaf in the US which is around $32,000 US and have it here "all in " and licensed for only $3,800 US additional?

Likely not. The vehicles being brought in are between 2016-2018 and are receiving two benefits, the EV law reduction in taxes as well as the tax break for items brought in as part of the tourist project exemption.

A new Leaf would pay more…….but 50% less than an equivalent ICE engine vehicle via Ley 113-03.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's great that they plan to have 500 charging stations. Now, if they can only figure out a way to get power to them 24/7. With all these cars charging, transformers will be blowing left and right.
There is "always something" and planning for the future is not a strong point here. Yes, that could indeed be the weak link.

Reactions: Eugene_A
Apr 24, 2015
I have 11 Nissan Leafs coming in June 25th for a client. They are part of a tourist project in the Punta Cana area and will have their own independent charging facility.

The DR is still lacking in charging infrastructure to make EV's viable for everyday intra island usage, but for short haul trips with independent charging systems at ones place of business or home, they are now viable.

With Ley 113-03 giving 50% tax reductions across the board, including first placa and ITBIS, and the range increasing with every model year, they are starting to get some attention in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Greetings @playacaribe2 Do you have a link with more information on Ley 113-03 with the 50% tax reductions? I did a Google search but could not find it.