Taino Bay - New Cruise port in Puerto Plata

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
there was no doubt in the Amber Cove thread that the port would be successful. the question was always one of who would reap the treasure. until i see studies that say otherwise, i will stick to my belief that the cruise ship would get the bread, and the locals would get the crumbs...

...yes I am sure,that as promised by the Amber Cove folks....the north coast towns and Santiago will be awash with the tourists from those ships.........Doc.........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the port is good news from PP. so far there is not that much hype around it and no exalted promises of the economic boom it is sure to bring. so maybe the money will stay mostly in the pockets that are already quite full but the crumbs are better than going hungry so even that would be a good start. but the port would benefit all surrounding barrios that would need to be destroyed. the inhabitants will be offered better dwellings than rotten shacks washed out with every rain. and improved cargo area means more import/export. plus having more tourist in the city means increased security and that alone is good news.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
there was no doubt in the Amber Cove thread that the port would be successful. the question was always one of who would reap the treasure. until i see studies that say otherwise, i will stick to my belief that the cruise ship would get the bread, and the locals would get the crumbs...

How could you expect it to work any other way? That's how investments work. But it's still great for all around it, and all residents of POP.

If I buy a property, start spending money on it (my money) and that property increases in value, I'm not going to share those profits with my neighbors. Why should I? And they don't expect me to. But the neighborhood benefits from my investments. They're property values increase. It's no different with a cruise ship port.

I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like you want everyone to get an equal share of the profits?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How could you expect it to work any other way? That's how investments work. But it's still great for all around it, and all residents of POP.

If I buy a property, start spending money on it (my money) and that property increases in value, I'm not going to share those profits with my neighbors. Why should I? And they don't expect me to. But the neighborhood benefits from my investments. They're property values increase. It's no different with a cruise ship port.

I could be wrong, but it almost sounds like you want everyone to get an equal share of the profits?

yes...you are wrong. at no time did i ever say that everyone should get an equal share of the profits.

i am not going to go over this again, because the numbers i cited in the other thread have remained basically unchanged since 2012...the average visitor to the DR on a cruise ship spends 70 dollars onshore, and the biggest spend is on big ticket items like watches, and Ray Bans, which are not made locally.

we see things differently. you are free to support the belief that anything is better than nothing, but since i look at things through the eyes of a person who has studied economics, i have to wonder if the cost of accommodating cruise ships, measured against the economic benefits to the country, are worth it.

also, one has to look at crowdout affects, the negative effects that the cruise travel has on land based travel, which is more valuable, but which is being endangered by the burgeoning cruise travel.

https://www.f-cca.com/downloads/2012-Cruise-Analysis-vol-1.pdf

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Does anyone know about those shops on that street , the one behind the small beach which is now FENCED off from Amber Cove, and has a Gate on the other side which the People from the RIU AI use to access the same beach...
Are those GIFT shops still there, open ??
from speaking with them before Amber Cove opened, They had very high Hopes indeed
... Some were not even rented out yet, they looked brand New as I recall ..
Have not been down that road in a while ,was just curious what happened to them .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone know about those shops on that street , the one behind the small beach which is now FENCED off from Amber Cove, and has a Gate on the other side which the People from the RIU AI use to access the same beach...
Are those GIFT shops still there, open ??
from speaking with them before Amber Cove opened, They had very high Hopes indeed
... Some were not even rented out yet, they looked brand New as I recall ..
Have not been down that road in a while ,was just curious what happened to them .

I have no idea, but I suspect they see no traffic at all. When I have gone by the area recently, I did not notice anything open. The cruise companies very closely control what their customers do. Those fences were done for a reason. At least with the new port, there is a chance customers will actually spend some money inside Puerto Plata.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
we see things differently. you are free to support the belief that anything is better than nothing, but since i look at things through the eyes of a person who has studied economics, i have to wonder if the cost of accommodating cruise ships, measured against the economic benefits to the country, are worth it.

also, one has to look at crowdout affects, the negative effects that the cruise travel has on land based travel, which is more valuable, but which is being endangered by the burgeoning cruise travel.

81 PAGES! Shred that monstrosity. I'll shorten it up for ya. 4 words - The Broken Window Theory. Or more accurately in this case, The Fixed Window Theory. One guy fixes his shutters, guy next door paints his house, another house gets an addition, and on and on it goes. I think a lot of investors are going to want in on the excitement.

Even though the cruise port is hundreds of millions of dollars, it's still a baby step. But it's a baby step that could be the beginning of a total transformation of the POP coast. It could be yuge.

I predict 4.1 percent growth in tourism the first year the cruise port is open.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
yes...you are wrong. at no time did i ever say that everyone should get an equal share of the profits.

i am not going to go over this again, because the numbers i cited in the other thread have remained basically unchanged since 2012...the average visitor to the DR on a cruise ship spends 70 dollars onshore, and the biggest spend is on big ticket items like watches, and Ray Bans, which are not made locally.

Lol studied economics.

5pnbc0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Lol studied economics.

5pnbc0.jpg
Well I definitively studied economics.

Cleaning up the POP port area will be YUGE. The Malecon and fort are attractive...then you look down at the port and see "s#!th0le."

I think this could have a larger impact than Amber Cove.

I agree with ctrob...and anything with a 4 in front of it is a positive.

I wish the parties well. The POP area could use some good, impactful news.

Make POP Great Again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
4.1? Are you Nostradamus? ;) ;)

POP well on its way to be great again.

;)
81 PAGES! Shred that monstrosity. I'll shorten it up for ya. 4 words - The Broken Window Theory. Or more accurately in this case, The Fixed Window Theory. One guy fixes his shutters, guy next door paints his house, another house gets an addition, and on and on it goes. I think a lot of investors are going to want in on the excitement.

Even though the cruise port is hundreds of millions of dollars, it's still a baby step. But it's a baby step that could be the beginning of a total transformation of the POP coast. It could be yuge.

I predict 4.1 percent growth in tourism the first year the cruise port is open.

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I can't say for sure YET, but I doubt that the POP cruise port will be anything like Amber Cove. More than likely, the new port will be nothing more than a dock with an area for passengers to disembark to a welcoming area where buses or taxis will take them to Amber Cove, Oceanworld, or the Malecon. I'm not sure how many DR1 posters have seen inside Amber Cove, but it's beautifully laid out and is a huge property that is not being totally utilized. There is everything that most tourists on a cruise could ask for at Amber Cove, and I'll bet that there is a deal in the works for Royal Caribbean passengers to utilize Amber Cove. That's what makes more economic sense to me. The larger ships can't dock in Miamon, and a deep water port will allow the larger cruise ships to utilize a new destination without having to invest the hundreds of millions that have already been spent in Miamon. Of course, this will create more opportunities for the local economy than Amber Cove did.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
New Cruise Port Taino Bay Being Built in the Caribbean

Looking to visit a new cruise port in the Caribbean? Mexico’s ITM Group announced plans to built a new port in the Dominican Republic Anne Kalosh at Seatrade Cruise News is reporting.

This new port in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic will be called Taino Bay and the pier will be able to accommodate the largest cruise ships in the world. The first pier will be able to handle two cruise ships per day.

The port will have a variety of activities for cruise passengers. There will be a water park with water slides, a lazy river, zip lines, an eco park, shopping, dining and entertainment.

One of the main features of Taino Bay will be Taino Village. This themed village based on the culture of the Taino people will be broken up into several areas. Monkey jungle will have everything from a botanical garden to capuchin monkeys. Buccaneers Village will have entertainment, shopping, bars, and restaurants. Fort Cibao will house the waterpark where you can swim with sting rays and cat sharks or enjoy an afternoon on the lazy river. The water park will also have waterslides. Zip lines will encircle the area.

https://cruisefever.net/new-cruise-port-taino-bay-being-built-in-the-caribbean/

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Looking to visit a new cruise port in the Caribbean? Mexico’s ITM Group announced plans to built a new port in the Dominican Republic Anne Kalosh at Seatrade Cruise News is reporting.

This new port in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic will be called Taino Bay and the pier will be able to accommodate the largest cruise ships in the world. The first pier will be able to handle two cruise ships per day.

The port will have a variety of activities for cruise passengers. There will be a water park with water slides, a lazy river, zip lines, an eco park, shopping, dining and entertainment.

One of the main features of Taino Bay will be Taino Village. This themed village based on the culture of the Taino people will be broken up into several areas. Monkey jungle will have everything from a botanical garden to capuchin monkeys. Buccaneers Village will have entertainment, shopping, bars, and restaurants. Fort Cibao will house the waterpark where you can swim with sting rays and cat sharks or enjoy an afternoon on the lazy river. The water park will also have waterslides. Zip lines will encircle the area.

number one question....who is going to own all those facilities?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

I read this, and that's why I posted what I did. Most everything in this description other than Taino Village is already built at Amber Cove. I'm not sure if they offer a day pass to Amber Cove or not because I'm always there in a professional capacity. But it would be worth the price of admission to spend the day there.. I said I wasn't sure YET, but I'll know for sure soon enough.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I read this, and that's why I posted what I did. Most everything in this description other than Taino Village is already built at Amber Cove. I'm not sure if they offer a day pass to Amber Cove or not because I'm always there in a professional capacity. But it would be worth the price of admission to spend the day there.. I said I wasn't sure YET, but I'll know for sure soon enough.

You are 100% correct in your observation. I am interested to hear what you can report back with in regards to day pass availability. I would not hold my breath as to one being available. The reason being that the cruise ship industry is extremely wary of potential lawsuits. They are exposed to them constantly, and have an incredible amount of litigators at their disposal. A walled in compound, including that of an entire "cove", plays out for them that much better. For the company, by the company. Think along the lines of any other exclusive all inclusive. The key word being exclusive. It is all about control. Control and limit the possible damage. I do not believe they would want their exclusive cruise clientele to interact with possible day pass customers, as I once witnessed in Cozumel many moons ago. Please do report back with information. It would be interesting to know.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
You are 100% correct in your observation. I am interested to hear what you can report back with in regards to day pass availability. I would not hold my breath as to one being available. The reason being that the cruise ship industry is extremely wary of potential lawsuits. They are exposed to them constantly, and have an incredible amount of litigators at their disposal. A walled in compound, including that of an entire "cove", plays out for them that much better. For the company, by the company. Think along the lines of any other exclusive all inclusive. The key word being exclusive. It is all about control. Control and limit the possible damage. I do not believe they would want their exclusive cruise clientele to interact with possible day pass customers, as I once witnessed in Cozumel many moons ago. Please do report back with information. It would be interesting to know.

Caonabo, I was saying that I'm not sure yet if Royal Caribbean will be using Amber Cove facilities for their Passengers. Not about day passes. If they are going to be building a facility, I will find out about it. Nothing gets build without water and wastewater plants and that's how I'll know soon enough. Sorry that wasn't clear in my last post.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think amber cove was built by carnival for their exclusive use whereas one of the bid requirements for PP port was having it open to all cruise companies in order to attract more clients. another requirement was to guarantee minimum 500k passengers a year.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i think amber cove was built by carnival for their exclusive use whereas one of the bid requirements for PP port was having it open to all cruise companies in order to attract more clients. another requirement was to guarantee minimum 500k passengers a year.

It was built by Carnival. But I'd like to see where it was for their exclusive use. Good point about the guarantee. What if they can't meet that number? This is like Carnival on Grand Turk and other Cruise lines use it too. It's business and all about maximizing profits. Look at Disney's Atlantis and Paradise Island. Every cruise ship company uses the facility and pays Disney. It just doesn't make economic sense to have two properties in the same location selling exactly the same thing.