"Take them all out of here..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
i say these guys deserve everything they get...pompous bastards! They play next to no role within todays society. The only time the catholic head honchos' make the news is when one of them dies or they've been 'sucking the small one' that belongs to some poor child. The way i see it the head clergy have been disrespecting millions for centuries....maybe they best clean up their own backyard before asking others to clean theirs!

NALs said:
First and foremost,

I am no fanatic of the catholic church, but I am a non-practicing Catholic (only go on the important days, for example this Sunday is Palm Sunday, I have to go).

I also don't mind peoples disgust or different opinions of the cardinal, but please, can we have a little respect here.

Ok, so the guy is a homophobic who constantly harrases the gay community with his public claims and suggestions. This is expected of religious leaders, especially from the Catholic Church.

Can we please criticize this guy without disrespecting him.

It's one thing to not agree with someone, it's another to disrespect them.

While the Cardinal has asked for the expulsion of the gays from the colonial zone, we are not in the 1600s and his desire to get the gays out of the zone may fall on deaf ears or be partially followed up.

Another thing for people to keep in mind is that Santo Domingo was supposed to be the epicenter of the ecclasiastical expansion into the Western Hemisphere. Take a look at most of the historic structures, they most prominent are mostly religious in nature. The colonial zone was supposed to become and to a certain extent it kind of did, a new world version of the Vatican. It's understandable why the Cardinal would ask for gays to be expelled from a neighborhood that probably has more religious oriented buildings in its highest concentration in the entire country.

Besides, the Colonial Zone is less than 1% of the urban area of Santo Domingo. It's not as if he wants the gays expelled from the country or something.

Do I agree with the Cardinal? I am not sure yet.

Do I think he needs to be grossly bashed? No, the guy deserves the most basic of respects. As much as many people hate the Catholic Church and it's leader, it's still an institution that merits at least the most basic respects.

Don Juan, you last sentence is uncalled for.

And, to finish, remember this: the Cardinal is given space on the mediums of communication out of tradition, not many people will listen as is usually the case.

-NALs

Status
Not open for further replies.