Taking flatscreen tv from us in suitcase?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ok so do u guys think i should change my flight to another airport???? cause i really wanna take this tv back with me!!!! which would be better? SDQ or POP?

It is easier to blend in with other tourists in POP to answer your question.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ok so do u guys think i should change my flight to another airport???? cause i really wanna take this tv back with me!!!! which would be better? SDQ or POP?

It's a little easier/quicker to get from POP to Santiago, but it's usually cheaper to fly into SDQ. I would definatly consider changing if you want to get that TV in without paying aduanas through the nose. Don't let a couple of anecdotal examples of people who got lucky throw you off. They scan everything at STI, and a 32" TV is not likely to be missed.

Jan 17, 2009
PriceMart claims they are new. I tend to believe them. Whenever we bought electronics from them, they always looked new and packaged by the manufacturer.

We got ours at Plaza Lama. We found a 50" plasma which was perfect for our living room. I didn't want to get into an argument (with my husband) but my impression is that the box had been open and resealed. I can't imagine any serious manufacturer (LG) closing a plastic bag (with docs and remote) with really cheap and kind of rusted staples.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
PriceMart claims they are new. I tend to believe them. Whenever we bought electronics from them, they always looked new and packaged by the manufacturer.

We got ours at Plaza Lama. We found a 50" plasma which was perfect for our living room. I didn't want to get into an argument (with my husband) but my impression is that the box had been open and resealed. I can't imagine any serious manufacturer (LG) closing a plastic bag (with docs and remote) with really cheap and kind of rusted staples.

Plaza Lama and PriceMart open and inspect these items before they leave the store to check for damage, etc.

This is usually done in the presence of the buyer.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, of course they inspect them, but how are you to know whether you're buying a refurbished item or a new one? In the case of our TV, inspection consisted of looking inside the box to see that all parts where there. I only noticed the resealed bag at home. I don't particularly care but it'll be nice that they advertise New, Refurbished or Returned.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the US, refurbished electronics are very clearly marked right on the outside box from the manufacturer/refurbisher. I'm wondering why it is that the boxes in DR are missing that notification? They're usually sold at discount places like Big Lots, Ollies, etc.

AE

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In the US, refurbished electronics are very clearly marked right on the outside box from the manufacturer/refurbisher. I'm wondering why it is that the boxes in DR are missing that notification? They're usually sold at discount places like Big Lots, Ollies, etc.

AE

this might help explain from a USA standpoint.

Buying Refurbished Electronics: All you need to know for a Smart Buy
So... what qualifies as 'Refurbished Electronics'?
In general, refurbished electronics are items that were returned for one reason or another, to the manufacturer. These items are then re-tested at the factory to make sure they are in tip-top shape. Any defective or damaged parts - if need be - will be replaced to restore the product to its original specification, and then the product is repackaged 'like new'.

However, consumer laws prevent manufacturers from selling anything considered factory refurbished electronics as 'new' since the original factory seal has been broken. Hence, these items are sold as 'refurbished products' often at deeply discounted prices.

I am certain that the same consumer laws do not exist here. Or if they do then they like most of the other laws are not enforced

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
reasonable

Local LCD price are reasonable enough now that unless you are bringing in really high end LCD or plasma, its not worth it.

You can buy decent quality LCD's and plasmas for less tha RD$1,000.00 per inch now, although cheaper in the states, the small saviungs now is not worth the hassle of maybe busting up at customs or paying up.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Dead zone?

Most of these TV's being brought in or the flat panels sold in the DR are either 720p or 1080i capable. Does anyone know if any of the DR cable providers send a HD signal or have DVR's available like most of the civilized world? This country seems to be stuck in low def and real time TV.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Ok So then POP would be a Better choice you think??????? i mean pop is closer!!! but if i have to go through SDQ i will do it also! i just dont wanna fly through POP just to find out they have BRAND NEW scanners and are scanning everyone! im leaving Middle of sept, so now would be the time to change the flight! THANKS.....

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
If you can get a 32inch TV at wallmart is USA for $89 and the cheapest option in the Punta Cana area is over $200 USD I would not consider the Dominincan option comperable.

Am I correct or incorrect that you don't have to pay any import tax for items that are below $200 in value?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you can get a 32inch TV at wallmart is USA for $89 and the cheapest option in the Punta Cana area is over $200 USD I would not consider the Dominincan option comperable.

Am I correct or incorrect that you don't have to pay any import tax for items that are below $200 in value?

Correct. But sometimes TV's are a "special case" so double check with your freight forwarder and get a quote from them to deliver to you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A friend just brought in 2 TVs....
POP paid zero interest to him....

Had them boxed together and wrapped

I wouldn't worry