Taking flatscreen tv from us in suitcase?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it was Canada
but he boxed them like a suitcase...

hard to see/say what they were
all duct taped...with a handle - he checked them

Watch your e-mail - I'll send you the photo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What airline did he fly? I thought most US airlines rejected boxes

A lot of airlines reject those brown flimsy cardboard boxes that people pack with whatever. Most airlines consider the box a TV comes in as a shipping box. But as always, best to check with the airline.

I know United bans cardboard boxes around Christmas time but you will see a million and one TVs spinning around on the baggage carousel.

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
i must say POP was the airport where my friend got his 80% tax on the TV that he was bringing. And TV wasn't new so it was painful. aaaand PUJ is where aduana also surprisingly very efficient. and from personal expirience if you coming from curacao to SDQ everybody gets scanned, from other places not really. In STI and POP it's only random and they do have the equipment. Not sure what they are looking for, because things like Playstation, Drone, Expensive Camera, 2 laptops did go through and didn't get taxed.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I have never had my checked luggage scanned at either POP or SDQ. I don't think they even have the equipment. I've heard Punta Cana is the most lax of all of them for aduanas on incoming passengers. Santiago is another matter, and as was posted earlier they scan everything, which creates an enormous bottleneck at the one and only machine they have. One of the reasons I now try to avoid flying into STI if I can.

POP has scanning capability.... 2 out of 5 times I get scanned.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Really? but i thought anything 32" or under was duty free??? or is this only during christmas?

Only a few years ago you could bring this in your luggage but times have changed. The odds of getting this into the DR without a hassle are slim to none. In addition you will have to pay the airlines for an over sized bag.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Only a few years ago you could bring this in your luggage but times have changed. The odds of getting this into the DR without a hassle are slim to none. In addition you will have to pay the airlines for an over sized bag.

Not too sure about that. I see people at SDQ pick their TV up off the luggage carousel and just walk out the door all the time. Also a 32" TV in original shipping box would not be oversized luggage.

This is a 7 year old thread and people still can't agree on how to bring in a TV. LOL

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you take the TV out of the box and put some towels around the screen it will fit in most suitcases. I do it all the time. One time they opened the bag and I said it was a monitor and they waved me through.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
This is a 7 year old thread and people still can't agree on how to bring in a TV. LOL

lol, true, everyones experience will be different.

I avoid Puerto Plata, I love Santiago. Friendlier staff, more flight options, better prices.

In Santiago my luggage is scanned 95% of the time, and I have observed thats normal routine when travelling with a cartfull of luggage. I always bring two large suitcases, a wheeled carry-on and my backpack.

I use a luggage cart and have a porter help me put it in the scanner and have them wheel it out. I do this NOT because the porters actually have any clout but because it speeds up the process and keeps everything flowing. I blend in

Once I have handed in my customs form, I never look at any of the other staff, I just walk just a little ahead of the porter and and casually wait for luggage to be put back on my cart by him.

I have brought in many microwaves, 28-32 inch TV's etc . Never a problem.

I have only had suitcase opened a handful of time and each time, I understood why.
Once I had 4 bags of organic apples in my suitcase , I took one out of the bag for the road and gave up the rest
Another time, two 32 unit watch cases that showed up as peculiar on the scanner.

This is my experience after over 400 flights through 11 years to DR .

They are more interested in wanting to clear your flight so the lines don't stack up and the big jefe then wants to know whats happening.

Enjoy your flight with your TV and stop worrying. They are looking for real contraband , not TV's.

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Brought in a 32” just last thursday. SDQ was not scanned. Rarely scanned. Sunday I bought a 55” 4k smart TV for 37,000 pesos. TVs can be had for decent deals now. Mostly not worth bringing in. I bought the 32” to use one day in miami for work. Left it at hotel for two months until I was back with big enough suitcase. It only cost like 250 bucks so no huge deal if I got popped at aduanas.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Exactly the title! :cheeky: i was wondering what are the criteria for taking a 32" philips flatscreen tv in a maleta? would customs charge me for it? if so how much! i just bought it on sale at a very good price and was wondering how hard it is to take through the Santiago airport! Thanks!

Read the back of the Customs Card you fill out on the plane before landing. If I recall, you are allowed to bring in up to $500.00 worth of goods duty free. I doubt a 32" TV is valued at more than $300.00. I suggest you have the receipt with you, and you may wish to forgo declaring it. If you get stopped, and questioned just say you did not declare it because its value is only X.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here is the scoop. latest news.

Just 3 months ago I was returning to santo domingo and a dominican lady showed up at customs with a 43 inch Tv in original box without receipt. She passed by customs without a hiccup. she later confirmed she slipped 20 dollars in the hands of the luggage handler. these guys work together with custom agents at the airport.
I asked the custom guy why he didn't charge her for a Tv which had no receipt? He said the Tv seemed like less than 500 dollars so he let her slide with a warning. The $20 tip was made aware to me when I was outside the airport where the lady was waiting for her ride.
so you can bring in less than 500 dollars worth of equipment with a receipt and walk worry-free from customs. if you have no receipt then make a deal with baggage handler who will carry your luggage and pay him 20 bucks. all will be taken care of.
AZB

Ok so do u guys think i should change my flight to another airport???? cause i really wanna take this tv back with me!!!! which would be better? SDQ or POP?

Punta Cana if you want to be sure to get it in. STI checks almost al bags, POP also scans many bags, SDQ depends sometimes they dont check and sometimes they do. In Punta Cana I have always been waved thru, they dont bother anyone, they assume your going to a resort.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Punta Cana for sure. Wear a hat like a sucker and get right in the middle of a large group leaving the baggage claim area. If they do X ray your bag they may or may night question you. Just say it is a computer monitor and you will be fine. But usually as Badpiece said you breeze through.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
this might help explain from a USA standpoint.

Buying Refurbished Electronics: All you need to know for a Smart Buy
So... what qualifies as 'Refurbished Electronics'?
In general, refurbished electronics are items that were returned for one reason or another, to the manufacturer. These items are then re-tested at the factory to make sure they are in tip-top shape. Any defective or damaged parts - if need be - will be replaced to restore the product to its original specification, and then the product is repackaged 'like new'.

However, consumer laws prevent manufacturers from selling anything considered factory refurbished electronics as 'new' since the original factory seal has been broken. Hence, these items are sold as 'refurbished products' often at deeply discounted prices.

I am certain that the same consumer laws do not exist here. Or if they do then they like most of the other laws are not enforced

"Laws are written by people who understand them; for people who don't."

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
update: The 32 inch TV did not fit into my large suitcase. It was about 1.5 inches too long.
It will be traveling in its box in one of those large expandable stand up duffel bags.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
punta cana is scanning all luggage.. I made it thru with my stuff only because the idiot watching the machine was talking to the idiot demanding the propinas