Teeth Whitening in Santiago

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was told there was no point in going for whitening if I wanted to continue drinking coffee, so the choice was easy.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You can't drink coffee nor eat anything which will stain your teeth for 3 days, that's it.
I drink coffee afterwards and my teeth stay a natural white.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was told there was no point in going for whitening if I wanted to continue drinking coffee, so the choice was easy.
Not what I was told.

Just a 24 hour ban on coffee, tea, colored sodas and foods/drinks with artificial colors.

After that, no problem.

I suspect-don't know for sure-there are different methods that react different ways, both short and long term.

I was told the whitening will last as long as the original white enamel did. If you have good, hard enamel (like mine) it'll possibly outlast me. If your enamel is soft and easily colored or stained, it won't and a repeat may be necessary.

But at US$185 in the hands of a highly competent professional, it's a real bargain.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Before he uses the Peroxide, he puts a liquid coating on my gums and the backsides of my lips..........
She does that and props your jaw open so you don't have to strain keeping an open mouth. She also stuffs cotton rolls between your gum & lips, and gum and tongue to prevent touching.

But still some can experience some burning. My mother did, but that's fairly rare (and she's 86; no idea if age is an issu)e.

waytogo said:
I have the staff (Professional & Licensed)and I will make sure they do the best work possible..............
CB.........When open........first Cleaning and Whitening is on the house.........

B in Santiago
Thanks, Barry, but I'm VERY happy with Dra. Olivo...:classic:

Aug 21, 2007
You can't drink coffee nor eat anything which will stain your teeth for 3 days, that's it.
I drink coffee afterwards and my teeth stay a natural white.

When I had it done a couple years ago, they gave me a list of things I was allowed to eat for 3 days. Everything on the list was either white or clear.

Lindsey

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not what I was told.

Just a 24 hour ban on coffee, tea, colored sodas and foods/drinks with artificial colors.

After that, no problem.

I suspect-don't know for sure-there are different methods that react different ways, both short and long term.

I was told the whitening will last as long as the original white enamel did. If you have good, hard enamel (like mine) it'll possibly outlast me. If your enamel is soft and easily colored or stained, it won't and a repeat may be necessary.

But at US$185 in the hands of a highly competent professional, it's a real bargain.

Good - I will ask my current dentist - the methods have probably improved since I was told that, over 10 years ago.

But even 24 hours without coffee will be a challenge for me. :)

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
One thing everyone should be made aware of................
The Hydrogen Peroxide that is used for whitening IS DATED...........
Dental offices will never tell you this..........
If they don't do this process often, in time, the HP jell looses effectiveness.........

Also, the procedure and 3 separate visits that is done by Cobraboys dental office is excellent and especially for that price. The Dental assistant has to do a complete prep 3 different times, and that is very time consuming. I will be going there soon and have them do the procedure on me to see what the advantages are for 3 visits instead of all in one.

Here's some good info on the 2 types of whitening agents dental offices may use.............
And relating info.......

Hydrogen Peroxide vs. Carbamide Peroxide: What's the Difference? - Opalescence Tooth Whitening Systems - Ultradent Products, Inc.

B in Santiago

Last edited:

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
A dentist in Santiago made a mold of my teeth 2 years ago and now I use gel I buy online. Two days in a row for twenty minutes, once a month, at home and it keeps my teeth pretty white. After 2 sessions you can notice the difference. It is inexpensive and great not to have to go to a dentist to have it done.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I found this on Wiki about "light accelerated bleaching." This is the system Dra. Olivo uses:

Wiki said:
Light-accelerated bleaching

Power or light-accelerated bleaching, sometimes colloquially referred to as laser bleaching (a common misconception since lasers are an older technology that was used before current technologies were developed), uses light energy to accelerate the process of bleaching in a dental office. Different types of energy can be used in this procedure, with the most common being halogen, LED, or plasma arc. Clinical trials have demonstrated that among these three options, halogen light is the best source for producing optimal treatment results.[6] The ideal source of energy should be high energy to excite the peroxide molecules without overheating the pulp of the tooth.[7] Lights are typically within the blue light spectrum (CB: the light is an attractive pale blue) as this has been found to contain the most effective wavelengths for initiating the hydrogen peroxide reaction. A power bleaching treatment typically involves isolation of soft tissue with a resin-based, light-curable barrier (CB: this is the prep that takes most time and is fairly intricate to get some of the resin just under the gum line; it hardens and has to be physically extracted, coming out like semi-hard plastic), application of a professional dental-grade hydrogen peroxide whitening gel (25-38% hydrogen peroxide), and exposure to the light source for 6?15 minutes. Recent technical advances have minimized heat and ultraviolet emissions, allowing for a shorter patient preparation procedure. Most power teeth whitening treatments can be done in approximately 30 minutes to one hour, in a single visit to a dental physician.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
hard to find good white wine in RD.... outside of Jarabacoa ---- hahaha
To some, "good" = "cheap". Readily available...;)

Actually, while in Santiago we swing by the old Supermercdo Nacional, close to Alida's mom. Great selection of wines of all types.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the new Nacional is very good..... all Nacionals are good

Cheap ?? Never......

Value is what to search for.... value

Price is for snobs..... label hounds....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
the new Nacional is very good..... all Nacionals are good

Cheap ?? Never......

Value is what to search for.... value

Price is for snobs..... label hounds....
She fond a RD$290 Chilean Chardonnay she's crazy about, a brand called Ri8s (a stylized Rios)

Value doesn't mean cheap.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Value = a blend of of quality and price.......

not always cheap.....

does that it make the highest or lowest common denominator ??

OH btw,, Chile = value....:D

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
Do they sell hydrogen peroxide here? in those brown bottles? I've looked and looked but seem unable to locate it on the shelves in most of the stores.... typically when I had access to it I would pour some on my toothbrush each day and have noticed the whitening effects over time.....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do they sell hydrogen peroxide here? in those brown bottles? I've looked and looked but seem unable to locate it on the shelves in most of the stores.... typically when I had access to it I would pour some on my toothbrush each day and have noticed the whitening effects over time.....
Go to a pharmacia and ask for agua oxigenada..

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Yes, in those brown bottles, 3%...........
I purchase the Blue 1 gallon plastic containers made by Collado and states Agua Oxigenada 3%...........
The La Sirena on Av Bartolome Colon sells them, and a much better deal at around 200DP, but it's out of stock a lot..........The small brown bottle are always in stock....

B in Santiago