Temporary to Permanent Residency

Feb 7, 2007
No. Once you have your new residency card you go to the JCE and get a new one for the validity of your residency, 1,000 pesos per year.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

No you didn't get me. Judypr wrote she was without residency card and cédula the whole time when she went from temporary to permanent residency.

The residency card gets submitted during the 40 to 90 day process of step 3 (step 1 letter, step 2 medical, step 3 submission) , so you are without the residency card, but why without the cédula? As far as I know cédula does not get submitted to DGM for the duration of the processing, so while you have expired cedula at your hands, you still have something.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In fact, when I renewed both residency & cedula a week ago today ... permanent to permanent
they keep the old carnet for residency but they do not keep the expired cedula.

You walk out with 2 cedulas- the old & the new

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
No you didn't get me. Judypr wrote she was without residency card and cédula the whole time when she went from temporary to permanent residency.

The residency card gets submitted during the 40 to 90 day process of step 3 (step 1 letter, step 2 medical, step 3 submission) , so you are without the residency card, but why without the cédula? As far as I know cédula does not get submitted to DGM for the duration of the processing, so while you have expired cedula at your hands, you still have something.

I don't know why Guzman wanted it but they did. I got it back when I went to Santo Domingo to do my final bit of work. Maybe they just wanted to scan it and didn't know I could do it myself :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In fact, when I renewed both residency & cedula a week ago today ... permanent to permanent
they keep the old carnet for residency but they do not keep the expired cedula.

You walk out with 2 cedulas- the old & the new

JCE kept my old one but I still have the one before that. That's the one I use when I'm asked to leave an Id to access a property or something. That one I wouldn't mind losing, the new one doesn't leave my wallet!

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
I am in the temp-to-permanent mode too. When our lawyer submitted the request letter on our behalf, it was denied because it was submitted more than 45 days before the latest temp residency expired. The lawyer has resubmitted. Now it will be interesting because we travel within about a month after the renewal date - will we have permanent residency by then?! Almost surely not :(

Feb 7, 2007
Update:

Deposited letter requesting change of category in Punta Cana. It takes these days 4 to 6 weeks to get response. They told me 5 renewals plus initial issuance but the law says 5 years of temporary residency total. Submitted anyway, we will see the response.

Then after OK response you pick up the response letter, submit the documents online wait 2 to 4 days, print out the cover letter, take the documents to the DGM office then wait 2 to 4 days for approval of payment, then you go again to the DGM office to pay, then you do medical, must be done within 3 days after payment, then you wait 3 months.

Note, there is no VIP as of last week, only regular process, because they were not competing VIP timeliness for some time now. So you'll get to wait 3 months for them to call you to pick up your card to Santo Domingo.

Feb 7, 2007
I am in the temp-to-permanent mode too. When our lawyer submitted the request letter on our behalf, it was denied because it was submitted more than 45 days before the latest temp residency expired. The lawyer has resubmitted. Now it will be interesting because we travel within about a month after the renewal date - will we have permanent residency by then?! Almost surely not :(

No you will not. You can either pay overstay fee and tourist card upon reentry, or a permit exit fee of 7000 pesos, whichever is less for you. Information received today at DGM in Punta Cana.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No you will not. You can either pay overstay fee and tourist card upon reentry, or a permit exit fee of 7000 pesos, whichever is less for you. Information received today at DGM in Punta Cana.

I don't believe that if you have receipts proving you are in the process of going from Temporary to permanent residency you will pay anything.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

That's what I was also told back in November. I ended up delaying my renewal to do the trip first.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
we have heard from people who have used the permission letter to leave during their application

free of fee they said they left

Feb 7, 2007
But how they got the permission letter issued for no fee if the published cost to issue that permission letter (akin to advanced parole in USA) is 7000 pesos?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Can anyone advise where the medical exam is done in Puerto Plata and the approximate time that it took them to accomplish it? It’s blood & x-ray?

I’m hoping to pay for mine tomorrow and get it done in the same day - maybe too much to hope for.