Temporary to Permanent Residency

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Can anyone advise where the medical exam is done in Puerto Plata and the approximate time that it took them to accomplish it? It’s blood & x-ray?

I’m hoping to pay for mine tomorrow and get it done in the same day - maybe too much to hope for.

I had to deposit some papers first (not sure you already done that), then next time pay at the Migracion, get a receipt then go to the clinic. Only 200 meters away, same street. The blood test, x-ray, and medical test took for me less than an hour.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I had to deposit some papers first (not sure you already done that), then next time pay at the Migracion, get a receipt then go to the clinic. Only 200 meters away, same street. The blood test, x-ray, and medical test took for me less than an hour.

Thanks, I’m turning in the documents at this moment. I hope it goes as quickly for me!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

HDR,
My process was the same today... I was at the stage of leaving original documents. Now I’m told to wait for an email to go back, pay, and take medical exam.
Thanks again!

Feb 7, 2007
I was told in SD last week, when going from temp to permanent, solvency must be proven by
- Clean Vehicle 2010 onward title
- Clean Property title
- 300k in the bank

The insurance policy is no longer accepted in lieu of solvency proof.

This is new, as of 2 weeks ago*. They still give out printed "requirements" with different info, and then you get denied when submitting paperwork online and asked to resubmit.

* New: vehicle age change, bank account 100k -> 300k, no insurance policy accepted

Feb 7, 2007
This past Monday I finally got my request to change of category approved. It was actually approved more than a month ago but "lost" at correspondencia (Mail department).

This is a warning to not 100% believe what they tell you. I was getting a "no ha salido" response for weeks, in Punta Cana, they even called SD. "No ha salido". I went to SD last week and at Correspondencia (window 13) after 30 minute wait to find out status, got the same "no ha salido". But I also got an extension # to call for extranjeria department.

After 3 days of calling and using up like 300 minutes from my callphone plan, someone finally picked up at extranjeria and told me my request was responded to in the beginning of May (I deposited April 17 in PUJ, it was received in SD on April 19, responded (approved) May 8).

Armed with the date I also got to speak to someone in Correspondencia again by phone, gave them the info, spelled and re-spelled and rechecked 3 or 4 times, and low and behold they called me within an hour that yes indeed they had it. On my question why didn't they find it out last week, I was told that the person looking was most likely looking on top of the pile instead on the bottom of it where envelope with their response to my request was.

Not only the mail department failed to send it back to PUJ from SD back in early May (most of the out-of-town cases they send back to PUJ/POP/STI) they even mishandled it and had no record if it in the computer of Correspondencia department (or printed list or whatever they use). Had I not been lucky enough to speak to someone in Extranjeria department after like zillion call attempts, it would look to everyone who inquired as if my request was still pending and not replied to, and the envelope would be still sitting at the bottom of the pile in Correspondencia department.

Finally I arranged with Punta Cana to call SD and ask them to hold it for me as I was going to Capital earlier this week. Armed with names of people with whom I spoke from both extranjeria and correspondencia, and the name of person PUJ office spoke to in SD, I finally got the yellow envelope the past Monday, exactly 34 days after it was handed to correspondencia department to send to me/Punta Cana.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No argument from me that the process is deeply flawed and orchestrated by lots of incompetent and uncaring civil servants.

The govt here seems to really like making things difficult. All these rule changes demonstrate no long term planning or forethought. Oh well, it is what it is. This is why I use a lawyer. I can afford it, and would prefer not to deal with these pions myself. I get to enjoy the peace of mind that comes with the positive result and none of the hassle of achieving it. It is however, the cost of choosing to live here and not having to be concerned about one's immigration status.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
From migración website...
For those changing residency from temp to perm or from perm to definitiva, you can now submit the letter of request at the time you upload your documents to the website.

You no longer have to submit the letter of request in advance and have it approved before starting the process.

f09581d401ba90d140530af09a50a83d.jpg

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
Could you please verify if interview (in Spanish) is now needed when going from Temporary to Permanent. I'm not sure if this is a correct information I've got.

Could you please also point me to what letter (where to find a template and it was mentioned in the other thread) is needed to be submitted among (along? ) with the other documents?

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Could you please verify if interview (in Spanish) is now needed when going from Temporary to Permanent. I'm not sure if this is a correct information I've got.

Could you please also point me to what letter (where to find a template and it was mentioned in the other thread) is needed to be submitted among (along? ) with the other documents?

DGM does require, in some cases, that you appear for an interview when going from temporary to permanent residency. I know someone who had such an interview in September 2018, and the person retained Guzman Ariza to handle the immigration matter. It was easy, and lasted ten to twenty minutes, if that. The lawyer could not enter the room, and had to wait in the hallway at The Malecon Center.

As I used to tell my clients, answer the question asked, tell the truth, but do not volunteer anything to any government. The questions were easy. The interviewer spoke in English, but the candidate responded in Spanish. Both got to practice their second language.

Most of the questions and answers follow:
1. Why do you want permanent residency?
It is a beautiful country, and represents my retirement destination.
2. How much do you have in the bank?
I have approximately USD$xx,xxx at xx bank.
3. According to the bank statement, you only have USD$xx,xxx in the bank. Explain.
I just deposited another USD$xx,xxx a few days ago, and the check did not clear yet.
4. You desposited a check? That can take a few weeks.
Normally, my check clears in a few days.
5. Where do you live?
I currently reside here, in Santo Domingo. My apartment is down the street on Independence Avenue.
6. Why do you not own a residence in the Dominican Republic?
I have not decided where I want to permanently live. I like Costambar on the North Coast, but also Juan Dolio and Santo Domingo.
7. You like Costambar? It is nice.
Yes, the community is very nice.
8. Why do you not own a car here?
I do not need one in Santo Domingo. I use the metro, the publicos, and we now have Uber. The traffic is bad, and I do not like driving in it.
9. Yes, the traffic in the capital is congested. Much like New York, no?
Exactly. This is why I use the metro and the buses.

Thereupon the interview ended, and lawyer and client obtained an additional bank statement, and permanent residency was granted two months later. The interviewer stated that it would be granted, but everyone had to wait for the signature of DGM.

I hope that this helps.