Thanksgiving Dinner

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Any restuarants in Sosua, Cab, PP offering Thanksgiving dinner?

Too bad no Mimis on the island[emoji1787]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Rocky's in Sosua used to have a good one. You can try calling them.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You could deep fry your own turkey. I hear it's easy and fun!

[video=youtube;SQBzT5BezmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=SQBzT5BezmY[/video]

Last edited:

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I think there is a thousand and one of these turkey videos. I think some "lesser skilled" chefs drop them in frozen, or don't understand the concept of displacement. :0|

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As with all of the decisions we responsible adults make everyday, placing a large item into a vat of bubbling oil usually over an open flame, requires a considered risk/benefit analysis. I have not eaten deep fried turkey, but in my mind, I doubt the result of this cooking process could be so substantially better than the time tested oven method. There are so many videos and reports of this cooking method going terribly wrong that no one should be able to conclude that it is inherently safe. I think of the guy who deliberately leaned against a skyscraper window thinking there is no way it will break, but it did.

This type of risk denial is the only possible way someone could conclude that deep frying their 15 lbs turkey in a $40-$90 backyard contraption is a reasonable thing to do. Unnecessary risk is something to be avoided, not embraced for the sake of fleeting and questionable benefit.

No doubt at all that this year there will be new additions to the "stupid is as stupid does" file for ruining family dinner in a most spectacular way. Hopefully no one gets burnt or killed but you know someone will...

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
i've been deep frying my turkeys for years without incident. will NEVER revert to the conventional method. use of common sense, and following the myriad of youtube vids on the subject will keep you out of trouble.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i've been deep frying my turkeys for years without incident. will NEVER revert to the conventional method. use of common sense, and following the myriad of youtube vids on the subject will keep you out of trouble.

Is the taste that much better? I have never tried or doubt I ever will taste deep fried turkey.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Is the taste that much better? I have never tried or doubt I ever will taste deep fried turkey.

Yessss! very juicy and tender, especially if injected beforehand. And, it is NOT greasy as some might imagine. you are absolutely missing out BB.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
I would like to taste a DF turkey. I hear good things. BUT, if I were to cook this way it would be out in the middle of my back yard. And I would be covered in protective gear head to toe. At least for the first go-round. I would not be doing this under or close to a structure, as the video here illustrates. :rolleyes:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's what's so great about the Darwin Awards. Those who receive the honour, are being acknowledged for their part in placing themselves in a particular situation usually culminating with a spectacular outcome.

If frying a turkey regardless of how careful you are (entropy is a real thing) is worth the potential physical harm or destruction of property, then have at it. My oven works just fine and the potential for an explosion is the same for a turkey as it is for a tray of cookies. I don't have a need or desire to deep fry my turkey twice a year. I accept that others feel differently; Yet I still feel justified shaking my head at the potential price of a dinner and several meals of left-overs.

To the people who feel the need to fling themselves off high places for kicks, I feel you, but likewise choose not to do that myself either as gravity can be a drag. I can't control gravity but I can ensure I am not needlessly subject to its full effect where it and the ground meet.

I am sure the burn wards in this country are just top-notch.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it a month late. :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yessss! very juicy and tender, especially if injected beforehand. And, it is NOT greasy as some might imagine. you are absolutely missing out BB.

Just what I thought. It must make the turkey taste better or people would not go through all the trouble to deep it it. You can email me a small plate tomorrow. :D

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Midtown Restaurant does a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Matt the owner is from Boston and is a hell of a nice guy. Midtown is inside the Las Palmeras Hotel (formerly Don Antonio Hotel) grounds next to the pool.