The Bad Guys Won!!!

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Even in gated communities (Costambar) they steal : somebody entered in my friend's apartment last week and has stolen her laptop (Siemens) and broke the safe : he/she left with 6000 euros!!!!
That happened in Las Rocas (Costambar) last Wednesday, between 3:00 PM and 9:00 PM. If somebody ears or sees something, she is giving a 10 000 pesos reward. Thank you for your help. The police doesn't seem very concerned!!!
And really sorry for you Eastcoastmike, it is really terrible for your dogs!!! Who could imagine that in Samana. It looks so quiet!
I feel less and less secure in this country. But what could we do??? I don't want to let the bad guy win!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We frequently have newbies to the board complaining when the long-terms say ... rent .. stay for 6 months or a year, and really test out your new surroundings. That remains good advice, especially if one 'falls in love with the view and surroundings' as eastcoastmike explains happened to him.

So sorry for your troubles eastcoastmike.

For new residents to the DR, please live for a while in the place where you want to buy before you buy. We almost made a very bad mistake in plonking down lots of money for a place that we loved (the view and the surroundings). It turned out to be a bad neighborhood and we never would have known it, if we did not rent first.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Careful Chris othewise you'll be accused of offering 'inane comments of sympathy' as per post 15.................;)

I couldn't agree more with the advice to rent first. I say it until I'm blue in the face. But more & more frequently I'm told they 'have' to buy NOW because a) if they don't the price will go up & b) they won't actually be living here for a few years down the line.......... or c) they have no intention of living here but want a property as an investment. To those to whom a) b) or c) applies PLEASE read eastcoastmike's experience & Chris's advice. And don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Because it has implications for the rest of us....................

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We would most certainly have rented first if it wasn't for one problem which was that we brought our 5 large dogs (3 black Labs and 2 GSD's) + our 2 cats when we moved here from England last June. No-one seemed to be willing to let us rent!!! As luck would have it, we bought our finca prior to moving here and would have chosen just the same place if we were buying today. However, I agree that even though you look carefully, try to take in all the pros and cons etc. you definitely don't know the right place until you live in the country. Guess we are just very lucky as we have no regrets whatsoever.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"Even in gated communities (Costambar) they steal : somebody entered in my friend's apartment last week and has stolen her laptop (Siemens) and broke the safe : he/she left with 6000 euros!!!!"

This was probably an inside job from someone who knew she kept a lot of cash in the house. THIS IS WHAT BANKS ARE FOR,...a place to keep large amounts of money. Even as a business, we don't keep large amounts of cash around, but deposit it into the bank. And we pay almost everything by check or credit card so that eliminates the need for a large petty cash fund on hand. Everyone around here knows that and we haven't had any problems in years.

And Mike, you're right about the new condos at Playa el Frances. Knowing THAT fine community, I'm waiting to see when the first "problem" is going to arise.

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
But again,reading the threads,when is enough enough?What is one paying a month in watchman/security fees?$200 USD?Just a guess.Thats $2400 a year in taxes Dominican Style and very little reliability.Could one find a location stateside with taxes $2400 a year?Absolutely!!!!

Just something to think about next time they break in.And thanks for pointing out that even the gated communities arent 100% burgler proof.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
We frequently have newbies to the board complaining when the long-terms say ... rent .. stay for 6 months or a year, and really test out your new surroundings. That remains good advice, especially if one 'falls in love with the view and surroundings' as eastcoastmike explains happened to him.

For new residents to the DR, please live for a while in the place where you want to buy before you buy. We almost made a very bad mistake in plonking down lots of money for a place that we loved (the view and the surroundings). It turned out to be a bad neighborhood and we never would have known it, if we did not rent first.

What does renting have to do with the OP's situation as he stated that he lived here for 11 years?

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Careful Chris othewise you'll be accused of offering 'inane comments of sympathy' as per post 15.................;)

I couldn't agree more with the advice to rent first. I say it until I'm blue in the face. But more & more frequently I'm told they 'have' to buy NOW because a) if they don't the price will go up & b) they won't actually be living here for a few years down the line.......... or c) they have no intention of living here but want a property as an investment. To those to whom a) b) or c) applies PLEASE read eastcoastmike's experience & Chris's advice. And don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Because it has implications for the rest of us....................

Yes, yet another inane compliment and offer of sympathy.

Did you even read the OP?s original post concerning his experience? The man has been here for 11 years and is now deciding to move. How is that relevant to the advice of renting before buying? Do you suggest you rent for 11 years and if something goes wrong make a decision whether to move or not?

Real Estate is a gamble no matter where you live and to suggest that the ONLY place to live here is in a gated compound is ridiculous and na?ve. This is a large island country with boundless living opportunities and to generalize that EVER single person needs a gated community is??.. bad advise.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Yes, yet another inane compliment and offer of sympathy.

Did you even read the OP?s original post concerning his experience? The man has been here for 11 years and is now deciding to move. How is that relevant to the advice of renting before buying? Do you suggest you rent for 11 years and if something goes wrong make a decision whether to move or not?

Real Estate is a gamble no matter where you live and to suggest that the ONLY place to live here is in a gated compound is ridiculous and na?ve. This is a large island country with boundless living opportunities and to generalize that EVER single person needs a gated community is??.. bad advise.

How ABSOLUTELY right you are jackieboohoo - All this bad advice & the inane comments belong in a "Trash Bin"!!! Do you know of any decent ones in the Sosua / Cabarete area yet????:bunny: :cheeky: ;)

Methinks you got out of bed the wrong side this morning ....... & yesterday morning & .......... DO have a nice day!!! ~ Grahame.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How ABSOLUTELY right you are jackieboohoo - All this bad advice & the inane comments belong in a "Trash Bin"!!! Do you know of any decent ones in the Sosua / Cabarete area yet????:bunny: :cheeky: ;)

Methinks you got out of bed the wrong side this morning ....... & yesterday morning & .......... DO have a nice day!!! ~ Grahame.
You mean the beaches aren't trash free yet?

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006

Actually Grahame I know of 9 trash containers on Cabarete Beach that are serviced every single day and I know of 8 containers in Sosua that are serviced every day.

I also know of 20 additional containers that are going to be deployed within the next 6 weeks in Cabarete and Sosua that will be serviced every day.

And you know what I even know when the next community service project will be that will educate people of the negative affects of litter.

What do you know?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Home,....SAFE Home"!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to "Do",like the Dominicans "Do"!!!!!
NEVER leave the house unattended!!
We ALWAY have a "Designated Stayer"!!!!! Usually my father-in-law. There must be an immediate family member at home,24/7! Obviously it makes a difference where you live,but "Not Much"!!!
We also have 3 dogs,"Bars",a high cement block fence,and best of all, a "General" in the "Policia National" living next door!
All that said,it IS becoming more "Dangerous" to live in the DR! Twenty years ago I used to go into "Barrios Calientes" at 3 am,looking for "Dates"! Now I stay home after the sun goes down!
I am thinking of leaving the DR after living here for 12 years! Not because of the Crime/Corruption,but due to a 300 dollar a month electric bill,food prices through the roof,no water,no health care,and no educational opportunities for my 4 children!!
Maybe it IS TIME to "Cash Out" on my home in Arroyo Hondo of 10 years!!
Cris Colon ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CC-

You mention no healthcare. But I keep hearing there are several very fine multi-specialty clinics and doctors in country.

Can you reconcile these two impressions?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
.....Twenty years ago I used to go into "Barrios Calientes" at 3 am,looking for "Dates"! Now I stay home after the sun goes down!

I'm sure the sun going down has nothing to do with it, probably something else not going up! ;)

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc...C! ;)

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
You have to "Do",like the Dominicans "Do"!!!!!
NEVER leave the house unattended!!
We ALWAY have a "Designated Stayer"!!!!! Usually my father-in-law. There must be an immediate family member at home,24/7! Obviously it makes a difference where you live,but "Not Much"!!!
We also have 3 dogs,"Bars",a high cement block fence,and best of all, a "General" in the "Policia National" living next door!
All that said,it IS becoming more "Dangerous" to live in the DR! Twenty years ago I used to go into "Barrios Calientes" at 3 am,looking for "Dates"! Now I stay home after the sun goes down!
I am thinking of leaving the DR after living here for 12 years! Not because of the Crime/Corruption,but due to a 300 dollar a month electric bill,food prices through the roof,no water,no health care,and no educational opportunities for my 4 children!!
Maybe it IS TIME to "Cash Out" on my home in Arroyo Hondo of 10 years!!
Cris Colon ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

You guys crack me up, maybe you have been living in this country too long as only a Dominican would first post how crappy it is in one breath and then say maybe it's time to sell.

Sell to who? Do you think that after that raving review of the country anyone will buy your house?

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Mike, sorry to hear all the bad news and your problems. Before your caretaker (F) worked for you, I employed him for 2 years and "Fired Him" after seeing him for what he was. You are correct in your conclusions. I too am in the process of "following in your footsteps". Yes, it is very true that the Samana Penninsula natives are a very distict breed and almost all, are not to be trusted, particulary those of Los Cacaos north to Las Galeras. They are all one or two large families and have very different values than most modern civilized folks. The way to survive in our area is, "Don't trust anyone/don't consider anyone your friend, never have money (at home or on you), keep the "flash factor" to zero (that put Robert in the grave at 41, and never allow any native to befriend your dogs. You know how they treat all animals !!!! It would matter how much you pay them, the results would have been the same. It is their lack of basic education and minimal human values. Yes, I too am waiting for the El Frances "condo" project to become occupied in order to see how long it takes for the "restless natives" to run off our newest community members. Remember folks, ...we just got electrical grid power 3 months ago (@ 0.40 USD/kwh). Yes that is the price we pay tolive in PARADISE. This is not Costabar, Cofresi, Cabarete or even Cabrera... yet. But it wont be long, now that the new highway is almost complete..< 6 months away.