The Cold Shower?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
You can get used to anything if you HAVE to. Me, I don't have to, I have a hot water heater.

Locals are very used to cold water showers and many in fact prefer it. Some locals don't trust a hot water shower as they just don't understand it or have experience with it.

They dont trust the electricity because it shocks them. But its not the of the heater, it is the bonehead who installed it. Electrical tape only works if you use it.

Reactions: waytogo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Or you can heat the same gallon of water up on the stove. Cold wAter is only for the Apocalypse.

:) :) :) :) :)
my thinking exactly. a human being can adopt to anything if necessary but cold water showers ain't a necessity. i do not give a rat's bottom about the electricity bill - i like my water HOT. if there is no power and water heater does not work i warm up some water on the stove and wash by the means of a bucket and a small pot.
in fact i have to admit that my mother revealed that after i moved out the hot water bill went down by 2/3. :)
cold water is for ducks, thank you!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought showers were for cooling down in the summer, you would come out hotter than you went in if you use hot water in the summer

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
wi6esn.gif

I CAN BATHE AND COOK IN THE SAME HOT WATER AND NO ONE WILL EVEN NOTICE

B in Santiago

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The coldest water I had to bath my self in DR was at "Hotel Joal Jamil", this is a place to stay when you visit Loma De Cabrera. Located across the street from cuartel del ejercito nacional.
There it was two bathrooms to be shared for all the guest, usually sales person (venderdores) of the different companies.
I don't know why the water is so cold at this place, it feels same like the water here in US during the spring.

JJ

Feb 7, 2007
I got used to cold showers. In late spring and summer, the cold shower is actually enjoyable when you get home and take all the sweat off. Now, in winter, with cold mornings (brr, I am Dominicanized, 22?C or 72? outside feels cold to me) the morning shower is dreadful. See, in summer, the water gets warmed up in tinaco, and also your ambient temperature is higher, so cold feels less cold, but in winter, with ambient temperature much lower and the water temperature also a bit lower, the cold feels like COLD. I enjoy moments i go to Santo Domingo and stay in a hotel or go to Bavaro to a resort, I take hour-long hot baths.

So: spring, summer and early fall: cold shower: Yes, and it's even enjoyable. Late fall and winter: brrrrh... cold IS cold.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not such a huge deal. The initial shock is a little painful but then it's OK and the end result is actually envigorating! Having said that I usually have warm or hot showers but if I forget to heat the water and absolutely have to have a shower I can deal with it.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You mix hot water from the stove with cold water from, were ever, then use a plastic cup....you choose the size...and pour it over your body. soap down, rinse off, this is not brain surgey. I sometimes wounder how if some posters are imployable.

Well this is rather insulting. Do you think we don't know how to do this? That you are the only light bulb in the pack that turns on.....? Sheeesh.

We CHOOSE not to do this and thus we install hot water tanks or other means to heat water............

RacerX -good point. We had one of those inline heaters- hated it. Bad installation= pain!

Reactions: Celt202

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've got hot water heaters too, but hardly use them.

My method is to climb in the tub, let my arms get wet first, then start splashing water on my front side, then my sides.

The only thing that's a shock at all is when it first hits my back.

After a few seconds, I don't even notice it.

That's pretty much my technique. I actually don't mind having cold showers except I like warm water for washing my hair.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
You mix hot water from the stove with cold water from, were ever, then use a plastic cup....you choose the size...and pour it over your body. soap down, rinse off, this is not brain surgey. I sometimes wounder how if some posters are imployable.

Thanks dogstar. My post was not asking how to make cold water into hot water. I do not claim to be a brain surgeon, but I learned that trick after learning how to tie my shoes and walk and chew gum at the same time. I DO have hot water heaters in all of my bathrooms, but am trying to get accustomed to not using them.

To the rest of you ? thanks for the replies.

It seems some of us like cold showers, some can deal with them and some cannot. At the moment, I fall into the last category.

I just tried the JD Jones technique, but chickened out after about 1 minute into it. :surprised

Reactions: Celt202

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that the glorious days when i could do cold showers and sleep on the floor are done. i am no longer a girl scout, thank you very much. i will not cooperate with the little known fifth horseman of the apocalypse, the cold water :) don't beat yourself up if you cannot bear his ugly face too :)

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Do you miss the AC too when in DR??

A lo bueno uno se scostrumbra rapido ehh.

JJ

No, I don't miss the AC at all while I'm at the DR. Remember that in the DR we don't have the extreme humidity that we have here in the southern states.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
When arriving for the first time in Latin America almost 18 years ago I needed the A/C but got used to the cold water very quick.
Now I sleep even without the A/C except when I'm doing the wild thing:bunny:, then I need some fresh air and a cold shower afterwards;)

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
I've tried it but I need my hot water, can't live without it. Even on the hottest day I still need hot water, it feels good on my back. Warm water is okay but it's not the same thing.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

bostonsteve

Oct 24, 2010
when i lived in Costa Rica, i stayed at a home that had a novel approach to the problem> Quite similar to the water bag, but larger in scope. The guy that owned the place had laid about 50 feet of black garden hose on the roof.At night he would fill the hose, by mid morning the sun had made the water warm enough to supply a warm shower for several people-or share with a close friend. hope this idea helps.

qtarrantino

Dec 2, 2010
Is it possible for an Expat, previously being accustomed to hot showers ever get used to taking a cold shower without absolutely dreading it?

My solution. (I don't WANT to get used to a cold shower). You will need a one gallon water container and a kettle to heat water on the stove. Your host should have something to heat the water in. You will probably have to bring your own one gallon container.

Heat the water on the stove. Heat the water to a temperature where it will yield one gallon of warm water. You CAN shower with one gallon of water. Use a very small amount to wet your hair. Only use shampoo, no bar soap. Lather up and rinse off. For me, it beats the hell out of a cold shower.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Woke this morning and the first thing I did after getting up was to turn on the hot water. A bit chilly this morning. I too belong to the wussss club and proud of it.

Reactions: AlterEgo

melottie

Jun 1, 2010
back in the wuus club

After spending 1 year and 3 months getting used to cold showers I,ve moved into an apartment with hot water .Thank you my god, its just a joy to wake up in the morning and get in the shower . Who was I kidding with the cold showers , not going there again chums , dont have to ,dont want to .

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sometimes I liked hot showers in the DR and sometimes I liked cold ones. If It was real hot and humid I preferred the cold shower. It would take me forever to dry off if I took a hot shower on a real hot day. By the time I got dressed I needed a cold shower.