The Current Expat Mood is ...

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
Be aware that guy, the former yabadabadu, in order to live cheaper eats pine bark for roughage and dries the resulting poop for cooking fuel.

My objective is not to live cheap ... but, rather to get the most from my money, time, and investment in a culture/place. Personally, I love Colombia for many reasons. I have lived there about 16 months over the last 48. Let's face it, no place is PERFECT. But, certain cities in Colombia are great IMO.

(But, would my family and friends believe me, or have the courage to visit me? I think not:)

The DR can be a little rough around the edges, but it does have a GREAT deal of variety! It is very close the USA. It is a place, it seems to me, that is still very affordable where you can enjoy a little bit of luxury without being in an artificial world. It is a place where "IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT." It seems to me that gringos are treated more fairly in the DR than Colombia or Panama.

Providing an income stream is created outside the DR, what's not to like? The USA is a short, cheap plan ride away.

sanluisdavid

May 18, 2012
I have traveled to Colombia too. I like it there, but it is kind of expensive now (especially my flights). I have not been to DR yet, but it looks like my kind of place. My wife is Barranquillera and we have been researching for a place that would be good for both of our tastes. And so far (based on the info here, youtube videos, online sites, reviews, shows like "No Reservations" and "International Home Finder") it looks good enough for us to make our recon mission soon.

I am very interested to know how you, as a traveler to Colombia, would compare DR with places like Cartagena, BAQ, Santa Marta, Cali, Medellin, Bucaramanga, Bogota. Those are places I traveled in COL. The Coast of Colombia looks a lot dirtier and gritty than what we have seen in photos/videos of say, North Coast DR.

Where are you looking to settle in DR? More of a small town, international vibe like Las Terrenas? Or a SD Metro area? Or more secluded interior city/town? Just curious.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My objective is not to live cheap ... but, rather to get the most from my money, time, and investment in a culture/place. Personally, I love Colombia for many reasons. I have lived there about 16 months over the last 48. Let's face it, no place is PERFECT. But, certain cities in Colombia are great IMO.

(But, would my family and friends believe me, or have the courage to visit me? I think not:)

The DR can be a little rough around the edges, but it does have a GREAT deal of variety! It is very close the USA. It is a place, it seems to me, that is still very affordable where you can enjoy a little bit of luxury without being in an artificial world. It is a place where "IT IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT." It seems to me that gringos are treated more fairly in the DR than Colombia or Panama.
Providing an income stream is created outside the DR, what's not to like? The USA is a short, cheap plan ride away.

I know this statement above(Bold) is just your opinion but please elaborate? Have you lived in the DR and if so ho long? Some of the recent changes to immigration for foreignors without even a respectful "grandfather clause" which I believe Panama does have- also the new tax hikes and especially the initiation of a 18% tax on internet orders under $200 which is against the CAFTA, which apparently meant nothing in the Guberments decision process. So,, the gringos treated more fairly in the DR is questionable but Im unsure so please state examples if you have some :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know this statement above(Bold) is just your opinion but please elaborate? Have you lived in the DR and if so ho long? Some of the recent changes to immigration for foreignors without even a respectful "grandfather clause" which I believe Panama does have- also the new tax hikes and especially the initiation of a 18% tax on internet orders under $200 which is against the CAFTA, which apparently meant nothing in the Guberments decision process. So,, the gringos treated more fairly in the DR is questionable but Im unsure so please state examples if you have some :)

I agree on the new immigration rules.

However the news is out that the 18% tax on items under $200 US brought in by the courier services will be repealed this week. There is another thread on DR1 about it. See:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/127919-18-tax-orders-via-internet-valued-under-200-a-11.html

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

I read the first page and a couple of posts on this page.

I learned a long time ago to make my own future. That is to say, I designed and installed systems that help me and mine not have to worry about a lot of things. Our income is secure... out of the D.R. Our investements are secure for our future. Our guest income here in the D.R. makes no difference. We have water systems and purified water. We have energy systems and back up communication systems. Security systems. Back up food resources. And we knew about the areas that flood before we bought and built. (as we are having around us now.)

But this took a lot of planning, doing and upgrading as years went by and times have changed. A a lot of change has happened over 20 years here but we are still here adapting as needed.

If my wife did not have to travel almost all the time... million mile club... we would have been in Brazil. Just a little to far to commute. Though Colombia has come a long way in the last 5 years and is now considered a good place.

IF I were looking at a relocation now instead of 20 years ago, the D.R. would be VERY LOW on my list.

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
IF I were looking at a relocation now instead of 20 years ago, the D.R. would be VERY LOW on my list.

Well, kind Sir ... this begs another post to disclose your reasoning. Please.

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
So,, the gringos treated more fairly in the DR is questionable but Im unsure so please state examples if you have some

Just anecdotal. I was hoping others more experienced would chime in, actually. But, I have met foreigners in the DR who were successful in business, and investments ... who seemed to assimilate with a degree of respect. That, is not so common in Panama or Colombia IMO. SURE, you can live / retire (bring resources). But, you don't really have a level playing field in the business and social areas. An interesting point that perhaps deserves its own post?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
- Although not dirt cheap, is the standard of living equal / better than what you would have in the USA dollar for dollar?
Living here is dirt cheap compared to the States and with half of one makes in the States one can have a better standard of living.

- Does the exotic location and living in the moment off set the lack of precision / hussel bussel ?
After a while the exotic wears off but the relaxed lifestyle doesn't nor does the warmth of the locals.

- AND, over the last 4 years, has expat living decreased - to what degree?
I've seen plenty of Dominican's returning and buying homes. I expect many more to come as the US economy continues to falter.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
- Although not dirt cheap, is the standard of living equal / better than what you would have in the USA dollar for dollar?
Living here is dirt cheap compared to the States and with half of one makes in the States one can have a better standard of living.

Have you checked the cost of dirt lately?
Who wants to live on a diet of eating plantains and rice everyday and maybe ONE beer?

- Does the exotic location and living in the moment off set the lack of precision / hussel bussel ?
After a while the exotic wears off but the relaxed lifestyle doesn't nor does the warmth of the locals.

Relaxed lifestyle?
More and more like paranoia.

- AND, over the last 4 years, has expat living decreased - to what degree?
I've seen plenty of Dominican's returning and buying homes. I expect many more to come as the US economy continues to falter.

You must be Dominican buddy, you did not answer the question, Dominicans returning is NOT ex-pat living. Are you saying the Dominican economy is not faltering?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Who wants to live on a diet of eating plantains and rice everyday and maybe ONE beer?

Relaxed lifestyle?

You must be Dominican buddy, you did not answer the question, Dominicans returning is NOT ex-pat living. Are you saying the Dominican economy is not faltering?

I live in Jarabacoa and own my house. My electrical bill so far has always been under 1000 pesos per month. I need no air conditioning or heat. Weekly food bill is considerable less than I paid in Canada, but then I eat no bread or cereal products or anyhing out of a can except Tomato paste. I also don't drive the 300-400 miles a week that I used to so even though gas is expensive I use much less of it. It's all about lifestyle.
I have no complains about my personal treatment but the noise can be annoying at times.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I live in Jarabacoa and own my house. My electrical bill so far has always been under 1000 pesos per month. I need no air conditioning or heat. Weekly food bill is considerable less than I paid in Canada, but then I eat no bread or cereal products or anyhing out of a can except Tomato paste. I also don't drive the 300-400 miles a week that I used to so even though gas is expensive I use much less of it. It's all about lifestyle.
I have no complains about my personal treatment but the noise can be annoying at times.

Life in a concrete cave.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Relaxed lifestyle?

I'm not playing your games Don.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
...foreigners in the DR who were successful in business, and investments ... who seemed to assimilate with a degree of respect. That, is not so common in Panama or Colombia IMO. SURE, you can live / retire (bring resources). But, you don't really have a level playing field in the business and social areas. An interesting point that perhaps deserves its own post?
Perhaps DR's historical relation with the U.S. accounts for them treating American gringos more as cousins than as interlopers from the "Coloso del Norte". Among L.A. countries only Mexico and Puerto Rico are ahead of DR in family and business ties with the U.S. Cuba was numero uno 65 years ago, but its 'business' part of the relationship has shrunk to Zimbabwe status.

There are nearly two million people in the U.S. that call themselves Dominicans. More importantly, business ties go back to the 19th century (e.g., productos Baldom from Baltimore-Dominicana line). They expanded with the massive infusion of U.S. capital after the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American war. For example, the building of the coastal railroads and ports to get at Dominican Sugar. That had the added benefit of bringing a slight Chinese tilt to the the eyes of some Dominican beauties. Blood lines and business ties compounded during the 1916-1924 occupation of the DR and the many years of political patronization that followed.

In other L.A. countries (except Cuba, Mex., PR) you can readily find people with primos in the U.S., or who have themselves lived there, especially in the big cities, but not to the degree that you can in the DR. Americans gringos in the DR, assuming they speak Spanish, are not foreigners. They're just another minority.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Perhaps DR's historical relation with the U.S. accounts for them treating American gringos more as cousins than as interlopers from the "Coloso del Norte". Among L.A. countries only Mexico and Puerto Rico are ahead of DR in family and business ties with the U.S. Cuba was numero uno 65 years ago, but its 'business' part of the relationship has shrunk to Zimbabwe status.

There are nearly two million people in the U.S. that call themselves Dominicans. More importantly, business ties go back to the 19th century (e.g., productos Baldom from Baltimore-Dominicana line). They expanded with the massive infusion of U.S. capital after the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish-American war. For example, the building of the coastal railroads and ports to get at Dominican Sugar. That had the added benefit of bringing a slight Chinese tilt to the the eyes of some Dominican beauties. Blood lines and business ties compounded during the 1916-1924 occupation of the DR and the many years of political patronization that followed.

In other L.A. countries (except Cuba, Mex., PR) you can readily find people with primos in the U.S., or who have themselves lived there, especially in the big cities, but not to the degree that you can in the DR. Americans gringos in the DR, assuming they speak Spanish, are not foreigners. They're just another minority.

I think Salvadorian people have a bigger foot print on the USA then Dominicans. If you go to the east coast more then likely you will run into Dominicans, but once you move away from the EC Dominicans are few and far between. You have a large group of Salvadorian people in the three big cites NYC, LA, and Chicago. I have been ALL over the USA and no matter where I go I see two groups of latinos Mexicans and Salvadorians. I even saw a group of people from El Salvador in Portland Oregon.

Dominicans do not really have strong foot print in LA, and Chicago, but Salvordorians do. Washington D.C is my second home and their are thousands of them in the DC area.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think Salvadorian people have a bigger foot print on the USA then Dominicans.
You may be correct.

From what I've read there are 50% more Salvadorans in the US than Dominicans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, guys, lets not turn it into another living costs thread. all i know that all the things i WANT are more expensive here. and the things i NEED are usually cheaper. and i leave it at that.