"The Dominican" hurts my brain.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Originally posted by ERICKXSON
People from Dominica are not called Dominicans
According to my faithful Oxford Dictionary they are. Both people from Dominica and the Dominican Rep. are Dominicans.

And OneMex, you got it backwards. Tony C was right.

leo_DR

Dec 8, 2003
www.geocities.com
I've never actually heard anyone refer to it as "The Dominican." I'm surprised that some people have shortened the name. This must be something new...?

When was the first time you heard someone say "The Dominican"?

Leo

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
leo_DR said:
I've never actually heard anyone refer to it as "The Dominican." I'm surprised that some people have shortened the name. This must be something new...?

When was the first time you heard someone say "The Dominican"?

Leo
1998. We had a debate on the issue here on the DR1 board then. At that time we concluded it was mostly the tourists who called the country that.
Regards,
Keith

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Calling this country "The Dominican" is not just lazy, it's stupid. It's not cool, or hip or in, it just brands the user as a linguistic moron. Tu guta eta nombre? Pssssssss! No eta correcto etupido!

From the CIA World Factbook on Dominica:
  • Nationality
    noun: Dominican(s)
    adjective: Dominican
  • Country name:
    conventional long form: Commonwealth of Dominica
    conventional short form: Dominica
From the CIA World Factbook on the Dominican Republic:
  • Nationality:
    noun: Dominican(s)
    adjective: Dominican
  • Country name:
    conventional long form: Dominican Republic
    conventional short form: none
    local long form: Republica Dominicana
    local short form: none
Tom (aka XR)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominicans and Dominicans

The difference is not apparent when you read the two words. It is the pronunciation and the syllable stress:

Dominica - pronounced Do-mi-NEE-ka
Dominicans - pronounced Do-mi-NEE-kans

as opposed to the way we pronounce "DoMInican (Republic)" and
"DoMInicans".

Chiri

PS - edited to add - after re-reading XR's post I hereby resolve to call Dominica "The Commonwealth" - that should avoid any confusion.

Chiri

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It would be nice if this was a scrabble game, then Xanadu whipping out his dictionary would be the final word.

I think the original post stated that the term in question was annoying, and that it caused the listener to question the speaker's inteligence and sensitivity towards people who would like foreigners to at least pretend to respect the country they are in until they get back on the plane.

No comparison with other names of countries is going to change how annoying it is to hear the term "The Dominican" or make the people who use this term seem more intelligent.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chiri:

Thanks for adding that bit about pronounciation. I had meant to add that but you beat me to it!

Mike:

I think that the problem is that English is such an adaptive and fluid language. Doesn't take a great deal of time for people to start say something gramatically incorrect, grating, or stupid, before it becomes an acceptable form.

One example that always grates on my ears is the propensity to use the words affect and effect as if they were interchangeable. They are not! Words like klleenex, lineoleum, and even coke have come into common use as a p[art of the vernacular when in reality the are nothing more than trademarked brand names.

I don't want to be a French language cop, but some things just make you sound ignorant. Dominican is one of them. But if people don't say so sooner or later it could become acceptable. That's the day I'll start wearing earmuffs to the beach in "The Dominican".

Tom (aka XR)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is funny really

Because I have heard Dominicans saying : "Voy pa' Dominicana"

What I wonder is: Is that a transference from hearing Americans saying Dominican or is that a reference to the DR as "Dominicana"?

I can agree with the posters that say that Dominican is incorrect.
The gramatical explanation is also correct.

However, it seems to be pervasive, doesn't it? A lot of posters seem to latch on to it, don't they?

Oh well, we will suffer their ignorance. Now I have to call a friend from the United who is getting me some cigars from the United.

Funny thing is that he lives in the Commonwealth and his wife is from the United, Guadalajara, I think.

HB

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
I meant...

"I think the original post stated that the term in question was annoying, and that it caused the listener to question the speaker's inteligence and sensitivity towards people who would like foreigners to at least pretend to respect the country they are in until they get back on the plane."

As the original poster in this thread, I can clarify my intent.

Yes, I implied the terms annoys me, as it is so obviously grammatically incorrect. I didn't mean to indicate a user of the term is automatically suspect in their intelligence though. This is partly why the practice puzzles me.

I used the example of my mother who is highly educated. Yet I don't question her intelligence, but rather why would someone who should know better would feel comfortable with such a poor usage of English? This is what baffles me. The people I hear use this term don't generally strike me as semi literate, so I just don't understand why "The Dominican" should flow off their tongue comfortably.

In my post I did not state the misuse constitutes insensitivity or disrespect toward anyone though, intentional or otherwise.

Dave

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have heard people refer to the USA as "the States". How is this different than calling the DR " the Dominican"? By the way, I don't say " the Dominican", I'm just trying to understand why everyone gets worked up about this.
Nelly

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nelly said:
I have heard people refer to the USA as "the States". How is this different than calling the DR " the Dominican"? By the way, I don't say " the Dominican", I'm just trying to understand why everyone gets worked up about this.
Nelly
Nelly, as pointed out previously in this thread, "States" is a noun, as is "Republic." "Dominican" is an adjective, as is "United." So people saying "The Dominican" would be akin to saying "The United."

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Keith R - You're splitting hairs. The short form is not based on nouns or adjectives, its based on communication and what people will understand. Calling it the States will allow better communication with someone than calling it the United. Calling it the Dominican will allow better communication than calling it the Republic - there are a lot of republics!

Shortening the official names of nations is commonplace, and I offer you yet another possible explanation for its widespread use: I feel it does not imply a lack of intelligence, nor an intent to insult. Perhaps it is not only that it is easier to say/type in alternate forms (US, States, America, United Sates, United States of America) but people also tend to shorten names in order to imply familiarity. I grew up in Prince Albert, but we are from P.A. as far as locals go, and anyone else that knows about the town.

People that have been to the island or have fallen in love with it without even seeing it will perhaps call it the Dominican not only because it's easier, but because they are trying to imply familiarity with it. Maybe it's to impress friends, maybe because it makes them feel part of it, maybe it's because it easier to say - or a combination thereof.

As for Nelly, we're 100% aligned on this one; The proper name is the Dominican Republic, but to get so worked up about people calling it the Dominican - I don't know. Sounds like a symptom of people with very little to complain about in life.

m

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Marc said:
Keith R - Sounds like a symptom of people with very little to complain about in life.

m

No!

Sounds like people who refuse to be dragged down to the level of "Gutter-Speak"! Does the thought of people actually speaking properly threaten you? I bet you are the type that embraces "ebonics"!
It is beyond my comprehension how anybody can attack someone for speaking correctly!

Aight! Biatch!

If you feel the need to shorten the name of the Dominican Republic then do what most people, including me, do. Call it the "DR"!

BTW I first noticed the use of the term "The Dominican" when it was used by Chopo MLB players like Sosa and Pedro. No surprise huh?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Marc,
(1) I am not splitting hairs. Nelly asked a question, I gave him the correct answer. He was comparing apples with oranges, I suggested comparing apples with apples. I also answered in terms of proper use of the English language (I advise you to be careful about starting an argument with a professional writer and former English teacher). Sorry if the answer is not convenient to you, but it is the correct answer.
(2) I never mentioned anything about intelligence. You're pinning that on the wrong person.
(3) I have been married to a dominicana for 17 years. I lived & worked in Santo Domingo for 4 yrs. I visit often. I have traveled all over the country. I still have friends, family & colleagues there. The only people I have heard call the place "The Dominican" have been tourists or first-time visiting business people. We local ex-pats in SD referred to the country as "The DR" if we desired the short form. And the joke was one of the ways you could tell the tourists & neophytes was their constant use of the "The Dominican."

Keith

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Keith,
Why bother? If he still dosen't get it it is because he doesn't want to. When he insists on referring to the country as the "Dominican" it will reflect poorly on him and noone else.
Larry