The DR is better than Florida?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Florida still has a lot to offer, is one of the best states in the US, but it is now expensive, overcrowded, and "paradise lost".

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
Biggest $$$ Problem in Florida, ( and I did not watch the video yet, so maybe they talked about it ) is the PROPERTY INSURANCE.
Any and all savings you may realize in terms of Lower Property Taxes , gets completely wiped out by the Property Insurance.. the average is $11,000 a year ,
that is just massive.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
There are many similar videos online saying the same thing.😩
Not sure what their agenda is. Maybe they are offering "relocation services" to fund their life here, perhaps. But whatever their agendas, people tend to believe these videos, and people will try to move to "paradise" in the DR, creating demand on properties, driving the price up, making Punta Cana , for example , as expensive as Florida, if not more.

Yet the people who have been in the DR, through thick and thin, through storms and hurricanes, since when houses were less than $400 a month, will be thrown out for people with shiny new $1,300 a month rent money.Part of the appeal of DR was the price ....that will be no more soon .

Now they can either choose to leave to find a less touristy place in the DR or move to another country with the hope that video guys like him and other posters don't discover their newfound haven.🤔The kids love their abuelo, so maybe it's time to sell up and leave the DR to the YouTubers and TikTokers.🤔

But wait. The new people will soon realize that the DR is not Florida....paying the same prices as Florida, if not more, in the DR, and getting less for their money doesn't make sense.....no vale la pena. So eventually they will try to sell up, only to find their property was overpriced.

Don't believe? Ask the Balearic Islands or the Canary Islands in Spain....early 2000s.
The good news is DR will win to begin with, but will lose in the long run when reality sets in...and people find that in the DR 'all that glitters is not gold,' ....and eventually the videos, the hype and attention will move to another country. Ya veremos!

Reactions: JD Jones

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The new people will soon realize that the DR is not Florida....
Who said the DR is like Florida? :unsure:

Supposedly, the average property insurance in Florida is US$11,000 per year. Where in the DR it’s like that? You will have to add that to the yearly living expenses in Florida. In fact, property insurance is a major reason Florida has become expensive for many.

Reactions: colmcb

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Biggest $$$ Problem in Florida, ( and I did not watch the video yet, so maybe they talked about it ) is the PROPERTY INSURANCE.
Any and all savings you may realize in terms of Lower Property Taxes , gets completely wiped out by the Property Insurance.. the average is $11,000 a year ,
that is just massive.
ive seen that too.
people also cant even get insurance too.?
ok if it a trailer park

Reactions: jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Having lived in both I can tell you there are way too many pros and cons for each to list in a quick 13 minute video. This fella makes some good points but a bit of a drama queen in my opinion.

aarhus

Gold
Jun 10, 2008
Miami is something special with the latin American and Caribbean cultural melting pot. Much more international. But Santo Domingo increasingly has some of that vibe. Just a little.

Reactions: Big and Lucifer

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That's because Florida sucks!
No doubt you keep those feelings to yourself when traveling thru Jacksonville (95 south thru the Northside or I-10 thru the Westside) on your way to Disneyland ;)

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Florida vs. the D.R.:

Jacksonville, Florida, is the birthplace of Southern Rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, etc...).

The D.R. has given the world no-talent Dembow acts, el Doctor Fadul, and José Laluz, and hundreds of uninformed loudmouths on radio, TV, and social networks.

So, it's Florida by a long shot.

livio

Dec 13, 2007
Too much of a drama queen, I think he made some investments in Punta Cana and now he is trying to pump it up.
I love Florida South west, especially Marco Island.

Reactions: Lucifer

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
My parents were snowbirds in Florida for many years. We would go down to see them almost every year. It was really nice but way too crowded, and this was in the late 90s and early 00s. I could never live there, although they have a great guv.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Too much of a drama queen, I think he made some investments in Punta Cana and now he is trying to pump it up.
I love Florida South west, especially Marco Island.
alot of canadians from muskoka go there. i should have bought a house there when it wss cheap.

Reactions: livio