The members of the Haitian Presidential Transitional Council chosen, what’s next?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Miembos-Consejo-Transicion-Haiti-Le-Nouvelliste-792x1024.jpg
Source: Le Nouvelliste.

With Haitians having almost decided who gets on the transitional council, the members now need to move to choose the acting prime minister.

In a late development, on Sunday, 24 March 2024 it was known that Dominique Dupuy, the only woman in the nine-member council, had resigned in response to derogatory remarks following her appointment.

Le Nouvelliste of Haiti reports that the negotiations are moving at a snail’s pace at the Presidential Transitional Council. Prime Minister Ariel Henry is now in California as he has been impeded to return. He has said he will officially resign once his successor is appointed by the new higher government council.

The PTC was appointed as a result of the 11 March agreement on a transitional governance arrangement for Haiti that the Caribbean Community (Caricom) facilitated following the continued...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Didn't Ariel Henry say he had to choose the next prime minister before he steps down?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I think he will use the above photo as target practice. Smart move on Ms. Dominique Dupuy part to resign before anything is decided by this group.
Too bad! She looks like the most intelligent one in the group which is probably why she quickly realized the futility of the mission.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Didn't Ariel Henry say he had to choose the next prime minister before he steps down?
I think he said once an interim Prime Minister was chosen, he would step down. It’s all smoke and mirrors anyway. Maybe California will suit him. lol!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think he said once an interim Prime Minister was chosen, he would step down. It’s all smoke and mirrors anyway. Maybe California will suit him. lol!
And he said he wanted to be the one to approve that.

I really liked living in California. The weather is far better than Hispaniola. And no mosquitos. Henry will like that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dominican media made note that the only woman and considered “white”* was forced to step down from the commission.

5:15

* Some folks might go into a debate whether she is or not, but this is the DR. The amount of people that see her as such are not 2 or 3. Outside of the DR maybe or maybe not she is seen as that depending on the place. These are things that are defined more by the other people than one or two persons, that is even if she doesn’t think of herself like that, others in the DR will.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The Canadian government is still on the periphery of the international response to Haiti. They just agreed to send a Canadian military group to Jamaica to train members of the Jamaican police force prior to their intervention in Haiti.

The Kenyan government continues to look for excuses to back out of their intervention proposal. If they finally decide to bail and it’s looking more like that as the days pass, they will put the UN between a rock and a hard spot. The UN was counting on the Kenyans to be the main force and lead the intervention. No one else is stepping up to fill the possible void, except for the Jamaicans and they‘re small in number. If the Kenyans don’t go, it would be folly for the Jamaicans to intervene on their own. What initially started as a political chess game has turned into a crap shoot.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The Dominican media made note that the only woman and considered “white”* was forced to step down from the commission.

5:15

* Some folks might go into a debate whether she is or not, but this is the DR. The amount of people that see her as such are not 2 or 3. Outside of the DR maybe or maybe not she is seen as that depending on the place. These are things that are defined more by the other people than one or two persons, that is even if she doesn’t think of herself like that, others in the DR will.

It's interesting that one of my Haitian friends is whiter than I am but he considers himself Black.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's interesting that one of my Haitian friends is whiter than I am but he considers himself Black.
The very first Haitian constitution says that regardless of color, all Haitians are black. That also included the Polish soldiers left in Haiti by the French army. Even though they were actually white, on paper they were black.

But there have been issues of color, it’s simply that most of the population is actually black. Those issues are limited to a small part of the population.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
If the council and other are in the National Palace tonight, its time to get out as Barbecue is getting ready to burn it down..

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I'll run Hiati and I'll make sure everyone will be sent to Africa and I'll rebuilt the country and make it 50X better than what it is today.

• Haha
Reactions: BermudaRum