The motorcycle diary...

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
Amazing photos. Thanks so much for sharing, especially for those of us who are not in the DR at the moment!

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Beautiful travelog, Pichardo! I hope to be in the DR early to mid-year and buy a motorcycle, probably a Honda Wave.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cavebiker is a world class rider and motorcycling adventurer. I am proud to call, him a friend. He is legendary at AVDRider and spends part of the year in the DR.

His photojournal of Central America by motorcycle is Epic!

May 5, 2007
Cavebiker is a world class rider and motorcycling adventurer. I am proud to call, him a friend. He is legendary at AVDRider and spends part of the year in the DR.

His photojournal of Central America by motorcycle is Epic!

Is Cavebiker the person the photos should be credited to? The way the thread was done I was assuming this was Pichardo's personal journey and then saw not only you but many repetitions of the same photo and it confused id my old brain?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is Cavebiker the person the photos should be credited to? The way the thread was done I was assuming this was Pichardo's personal journey and then saw not only you but many repetitions of the same photo and it confused id my old brain?
Cavebiker, Tom and Heidi...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I came across his "journey" photo album and had to share it here!

The pictures are amazing! Makes you feel like you're there with them all along!

Posting just a "link" to the album is not making these pictures justice as they are too small in the slide viewer...

Credits? I haven't had a chance to post all the pictures with some order yet, to even post the story behind the pictures as it's my usual style.

I got halted as people here started to complaint and nag... The usual for us here in DR1! LOL!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Great pictures! Any chance of mapping it out on google and then showing us the route you took?

FRank

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Great pictures! Any chance of mapping it out on google and then showing us the route you took?

FRank

We have mapped that route already out Frank so you are welcome to join us this year for some real bike triking with a small group of friends and with pics taking during the entire trip. But beware, we are European riders so we are used to take turns the correct way and ride any roads in any condition.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
We have mapped that route already out Frank so you are welcome to join us this year for some real bike triking with a small group of friends and with pics taking during the entire trip. But beware, we are European riders so we are used to take turns the correct way and ride any roads in any condition.

Not like this I hope!! LOL!!!
2077615734_0f6ef42587.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Acira,

All i do every month is travel around this island on motorcycles. i currently own a 2008 Husaberg 550 race/ready Supermoto (see video below), a CBR1000RR (see video below), and a 2011 fuel-injected suped-up Yamaha 125 Zuma scooter which i just raced from Cabarete to Las Galeras and back last week (512km...see video below). Previous to this i've had approximately 15 motorcycles in just the last 10 years here (i will be happy to list them if you're interested). i currently have the race record/time from Moca (Nativa gas station) to the top of La Cumbre (The restaurant) 50 curves in 6:04 seconds (see video below). I did it with an Austrian father and son team (From PUerto PLata) that i race sports bikes with, as well as supermoto race bikes. If you would like to go with a ride with us, and you don't mind riding insanely fast, please contact me at your earliest conveniance. Oh, I'm pretty sure we have the record time from Santiago to Puerto Plata (38 minutes...see video below: Cannonball run) Frank

1.) Moca to La Cumbre: 6:04; Husaberg 550 vs Honda 450 - YouTube

2.) Cannonball Run: Santiago to Puerto Plata - YouTube

3.) Dominican Republic 3 - YouTube

4.) Las Terrenas March 13.mp4 - YouTube

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Well, we are maybe not the daredevil you are, Frank, but we do like sportive riding. Acira's comment was made on people who call themselves riders, but only know, in reality, how to ride a bike in a straight line... with no obstacles...

Acira used to ride a CBR600RR, which I loved to borrow from her as it was like riding a bycicle. I still remember oversleeping one day, when we were supposed to be at a rendez-vous with a bunch of riders, to go on a 3-day trip to England. We woke up at the exact time we were supposed to meet the group 50 miles away. We called them, and said we would meet them at the ferry from France to England.

We slapped on the magnetic tank-bag, hopped on the bike, and started racing towards the ferry. Average speed was 180kmh, regularly topping 220. On the last exit (big 180 degree curve) I threw the bike down, and was scraping the road with my knee, when I saw a huge hole in the road, right on the curve I was following. I managed to right the bike, get over the hole, and throw it back down again. Since then, I am the greatest Honda fan ever... lol. On the ferry we read that the magnetic tank-bag was safe up to 130 kmh... hmmmm

Personally I rode a lot of bikes, the latest being a CBR900RR, or as it is known a Fireblade, and a souped-up VFR800 which was a lot more comfortable to ride, but just as much fun to throw into curves.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
6 minutes and 4 seconds from San Victor to Cafeto!!! Danm, I drove this road almost every day during many years and the best time I could ever make was 15 minututes....

Danm, one more time!

JJ

On the way down with not breaks as the shoe linings were overheated!!!

If my costumer would realized that would asked me to take the long way by Puerto plata...

Haha

JJ

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
You are crazy man... From Santiago to Navarrete, 22 Ks in seven minutes. Did you ever realized that there is a lot of Viralatas dogs everywhere in DR???

JJ

HaHa, Yeah, i know about dogs in the road, as well as cows, donkeys, horses, chickens and the prostitues standing along the edges of the road waiting to cross. I've owned motorcyles and raced motorcycles here since the early 80's.

you know what they say Bachata..."you're not riding if you're not wrecking every once and a while."

PS. I think i hold the record time from Cabarete to downtown Las Terrenas (where the gas station is at): 1:49 minutes on a 2006 KTM 950SM (the bike is in one of the videos above). i did it Two-up with a motocross rider on the back. we were on our way back to Las Terrenas to pick up my CBR 1000; i wanted to see how fast we could make it to downtown Las Terrenas for no other reason than i had to pee.

There's certainly nothing even remotely smart, intelligent, or prudent about driving fast on these roads, but i haven't let anything intelligent stop me yet.

I wouldn't reccomend driving fast here to anyone who hasn't got several years of experience in crashing motorcycles into immobile, solid, objects.

Frank

Frank