The motorcycle diary...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I would recommend for inexperienced riders to get a Yamaha DT - 100 CC or DT 125 CC as this is a very reliable, safe and comfortable bike for off road trials and for city rides.. I owned many small dirt bikes from 50 CC all the way to 250 CC.
Yamaha DT 100 was the best ever I had, faster than my than my DT 125 and even than my Honda XL 250.... A small bike with a huge torque in the engine, the only thing I have performed in this bike in order to make it faster was to replace the front sprocket from 14 teeth for a 16 and the rear sprocket front 48 /42 t.... I was getting 160 ks. / hour in this small machine...

Last bike was stolen from me at age of 25. After months of hard work of good friends in the police investigative departments and my self we knew it was sold in Haiti. I was to pay a good amount of money in order to get it back, this info was in word of mouth of some recognized bikes thieves of Santiago city. Unfortunately didn't work for me.

(never rode again)

Good luck.:smoke:

I won't ever ride a bike again, my wife is pushing me out to buy a Haley to ride it during Summer time here in NC but I always say... Old man's bones when crack won't weld back again...

JJ

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I came across his "journey" photo album and had to share it here!

The pictures are amazing! Makes you feel like you're there with them all along!

Posting just a "link" to the album is not making these pictures justice as they are too small in the slide viewer...

Credits? I haven't had a chance to post all the pictures with some order yet, to even post the story behind the pictures as it's my usual style.

I got halted as people here started to complaint and nag... The usual for us here in DR1! LOL!!

It doesn't take much to write one or two sentences about the photograper and the link to their album along with the explantion that

"Posting just a "link" to the album is not making these pictures justice as they are too small in the slide viewer..."

before you started uploading his photos. Photographers that don't watermark their photos are generally more than happy to have others share their work but I don't know any photographer that doesn't want credit for their skill.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This one was about my speed:
Dominican Republic 3 - YouTube

What kind of bike do you recommend for someone new wanting to go off the highway but still on decent trails?

in this video above "Dominican Republic 3 -youtube," i did 512km in two days on a 2011 Yamaha 125 Zuma scooter. No, this is not a joke. Yes, i know, this scooter is not an offroad motorcycle, and yet, i plan on doing a trip around the whole island on it later this year (before summer). Yes, i have a proper off-road bike as well (2008 550 Husaberg/KTM), but i love this yamaha 125cc scooter. Earlier today, i wrote about it in another thread. This is what i wrote:

"I currently have two scooters: a 2009 chinese 125cc scooter that has so many electrical issues every fortnight that i'm contemplating contacting Guiness World Records, and a 2011 Yamaha 125cc Fuel-Injected Zuma which, after 7 months and 10,000km, and hasn't had one single issue.

The chines scooter costs something like $45,000 new, and the Yamaha costs $125,000 new. the chinese scooter has no parts support here on this island despite being sold at nearly every single hardware store or scooter shop on the island. everytime it breaks down, we have to borrow and scavenge stuff off other scooters to get it to work again. there is not enough web pages or mainframe servers available on this planet to list all the **** that has gone wrong with this chinese scooter which has a carburator vs the fuel injected yamaha. yes, i know, the the chinese scooter only costs a fraction of the yamaha, but if today someone offered me a brand new one for free, i would say, "No thank you!" and i'm not kidding.

The yamaha, on the other hand, i can find any part for it right off Amazon.com. that's not a joke. i can have any part here withine 5 days from the US. Yamaha Zuma's are very popular in the US and Europe where they're called "BWS". Also, almost any yamaha dealership here carries most things as well.

On the yamaha, i've been averaging 85MPG to- 86MPG with two--me and my girlfriend. on the chines scooter, i average bewteen 70MPG to 75MPG.

The yamaha i took on a 512km trip tour two weeks ago with a friend on a KTM 950SM; we did some light off-roading as well. i went from Cabarete to Samana to Las Galeras, and then took dirt roads outside of Las Galeras to Playa Fronton, and then back to Samana, then Las Terrenas for the night, and then back to Cabarete the next day. the total km for the trip was 512km and i averaged 89MPG."

Frank

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Since you're taking requests, I'd like to know, which type of bike would you recommend for somebody wanting to endanger the lives of the maximum number of children who play on the narrow roads between El Catay and Samana? :tired:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Since you're taking requests, I'd like to know, which type of bike would you recommend for somebody wanting to endanger the lives of the maximum number of children who play on the narrow roads between El Catay and Samana? :tired:
the-biggest-motorcycle-in-the-world-which-weights-5-tons8.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Kim,

Hum, this is a very good question, and one of which i've spent a lot of time and countless hours debating in cafes and bars with friends, mothers, and stray dogs. Ok, let's see, you can scratch off any chinese scooter as they don't generate enough HP and mass to hurt even a cockroach. i know this because i've run over hundreds of cockroaches on my chinese scooter only to see them stop, look annoyed, scratch themselves, and then continue across the street. I've also had several frogs leap directly into the path of my chinese scooter only to bounce back off the scooter and continue in their merry way. This also goes for stray dogs, a donkey, and several prostitutes with big hair which i've hit dead center at full throttle. In all situations, i've bounced off of them, and then limped home with a broken headlight and turn signals: hence, all the motoconchos in this country have broken lights...everyone of them a direct result of bouncing off prostitutes with big hair, donkeys, and stray dogs. All of these creatures get no bigger satisfaction then to wonder around aimlessly at night with the hidden agenda to cause the maximum amount of headlight/turn signal damage before heading home to sleep off their hangover.

No, listen, the more i think about it, you really need a heavy motorcycle that creates a lot of mass/velocity/speed when tumbling down the highway at insane speeds that break the sound bearer. naturally, this neccessitates a rather big budget, so the faint of heart & the cheap need not apply. In this respect, any Harley Davidson will fill the requirements nicely, as they're big, fat, heavy, obese, steel framed, and create a ton of mass and noise in a secret Harley Davidson formula known as this: "The most effective way of creating a lot of noise without the side effect of horsepower."

However, if your budget doesn't allow for a fat, obese Harley Davidson, don't despair...you can always rely on a crotch rocket rocket to fill the bill nicely. I've got a crotch rocket that has a Flux Capicitor on it. it travels faster than the speed of light. i'm not kidding. i travel so fast on this bike that i frequently travel back in time and arrive younger than when i left. It's a common dominican formula that has worked nicely and left the dominican motoconcho population looking much, much younger than what they really are. in fact, a little known secret is that many motoconchos here are nearly one hundred years old and blind. hence, they run into things frequently. Another little known fact is that I'm actually getting younger everytime i get on the crotch rocket and travel down the highway at speeds so intense that i usually reach my destination before i've even left the driveway...see video here: Cannonball Run: Santiago to Puerto Plata - YouTube

Sincerely Frank

Last edited: