the poorest dominicans don't eat

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
Well, Hug, I have seen unselfish behavior from a Dominican. The last time I had a dental group working in Puerto Plata one of the women I hired to keep the bathrooms and treatment rooms clean always refused to eat the plato del d?a I purchased for her, and for every other worker at the site. She'd say, "m?s tarde" when I would tell her it was time to eat, but then I would see her leaving the site with the meal (she lived across the street). Turns out she was refusing to eat because she wanted to take the meal to her kids who were at home. In my estimation, that is unselfish behavior.

Good story LaProf.

That's a good story??? So a mother that feeds her kids is unselfish behavior. Could there be a lower standard? I'm pretty sure no species could survive it the mother did not feed their young, but for Dominicans this is the best you could say for them.
What insight added. I recommend a promotion to super duper moderator.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It is what it is: Tax evasion of all sorts.

The employers will forever fight to keep the minimum at the lowest to avoid paying their onus on the income tax paid for each employee (which don't matter if the fisco taxes or not below any threshold or above as the dues come from the employer's tab as per LAW).

The side bonus envelop will not depart the DR payrolls anytime soon until a new system is in force.

As someone posted, educators don't get the bonus from the state. But they do from private places that hire them per hour and get paid off the books. It's general practice.

If it's a minimum wage payroll, there's a side pay system in place or a secondary stream of unreported income by the same worker.
Again: not true. Of course there are (many) cases where people earn minimum 'on paper' and more unreported, but the masses that do minimum wage work earn just that: minimum wage.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That's a good story??? So a mother that feeds her kids is unselfish behavior. Could there be a lower standard? I'm pretty sure no species could survive it the mother did not feed their young, but for Dominicans this is the best you could say for them.

i know, right? occasionally there is a feel-good thread here about positive experiences in DR and it always gives me a case of eye roll. basic polite human behaviour that you would not remember 5 minutes later back home in DR grows to the range of a heroic action. mother feeds her kids. omg, a miracle!

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
i know, right? occasionally there is a feel-good thread here about positive experiences in DR and it always gives me a case of eye roll. basic polite human behaviour that you would not remember 5 minutes later back home in DR grows to the range of a heroic action. mother feeds her kids. omg, a miracle!

I once saw a Dominican kick at a dog and miss. The dog looked slow, and if the Dom wanted to he could have tried again and hit the dog, but didn't. That is what I call unselfish behavior. Oh, who am I kidding, it was laziness.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I once saw a Dominican kick at a dog and miss. The dog looked slow, and if the Dom wanted to he could have tried again and hit the dog, but didn't. That is what I call unselfish behavior. Oh, who am I kidding, it was laziness.

I think you were jealous of the dog.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
Well, Hug, I have seen unselfish behavior from a Dominican. The last time I had a dental group working in Puerto Plata one of the women I hired to keep the bathrooms and treatment rooms clean always refused to eat the plato del d?a I purchased for her, and for every other worker at the site. She'd say, "m?s tarde" when I would tell her it was time to eat, but then I would see her leaving the site with the meal (she lived across the street). Turns out she was refusing to eat because she wanted to take the meal to her kids who were at home. In my estimation, that is unselfish behavior.

What insight added. I recommend a promotion to super duper moderator.

You hired a woman to work cleaning the bathrooms, yet you can say with true certainty she was DOMINICAN? LOL!!

Puerto Plata demographics don't help your case, since the population shift from native Dominicans to Haitians/other foreigners has been out of proportion in relation to other Northern towns.

Extreme poverty in the DR has got a name nowadays: Immigrant Haitians and their direct descendants.

The DR will never end poverty unless it tackles unabated illegal migrants from Haiti. The poorest to walk the Earth today.

The immigration reform and Amnesty is addressing the human side of the issue when it comes to the right thing to do, before acting on border and right of residency by a totally renewed legal/police/border security system.

We know who we are and who Haitians are in this side of our shared island. There's no surprise that 80% and more Dominicans agreed that Haitians born in the DR prior to the highest court verdict on the citizen right issue, must be provided the right to become citizens in most public polls taken. This is because we are not racist, we see them as Dominicans that simply happened to be born to foreigners in the DR. The whole rest that toils about without a piece of paper with their name, born and raised in Haiti is not shared on this opinion.

It's that simple.

The poverty in the DR is directly linked to our historical weakness to enforce border and immigration controls/effective Laws/etc...

The tide has changed and most Dominicans understand that for removing extreme poverty, increasing health, education and jobs security we need to control our border and national identity.

The upgrading of public health facilities, investments into education, police, systems and other priorities, will be reflected on how we take to task enforcing border controls and immigrants in this country.

The Dominican Welfare system is fully in place and will not only benefit the poor families that really needed, but also create a way out of poverty where there was none before.

The Dominican Social Security System has just gotten off the floor.

The Dominican Medicare System is on the up and about.

Being poor will not render people any longer to subpar service and care, nor will it leave families without a roof or a meal for the family to properly provide nutrition to each and all members of said family.

The 911 system needs to know who you are and your background in order to better service you.

All this needs for everyone in the country to be accounted for on entry or exit from the territory.

We already have a single national ID system. All there's left to do is to get everyone into the system and link all the state and private databanks safely.

Poverty in the DR is a byproduct of broken borders and inexistent immigration Laws/enforcement from before.

The DR is an upper middle income country with an acute problem of social-economic mobility. All this relates to having too much supply of workers and little demand from employers due to what sits next door of our border and as of today, inside or it.

This will change drastically. For the better: Both for the native and for the immigrant worker.

Once all is in place the programs seeks to make sure immigrants as well as all natives above a certain age can read and write, have health coverage from birth to death, are not going hungry for lack of income and get a proper education.

People that have a job in the DR and can produce documentation as to who they are, will get their permits.

Poverty levels in the DR will fall by great digits once all these steps are taken and solidified in practice. If you have any doubts I invite you to visit the border today. Where changes can be seen with the naked eyes.

The average farmer in the DR is presently within the poorest sectors of the economy, yet they lack even a savings or any other type of account. Namely they have never been introduced to banks of any sorts in the country. All they know are Bienes Raices and loan sharks. The soil under their feet is theirs and worth enough to state banks to issue them soft credit to improve their plots and income.

Poverty is not unrelated to lack of access to most if not all of financials, save for cash or other tangible on hand.

We will control our borders and who is here to remain/live/work. After that you will see us take to task to reduce poverty to its minimum digits in our lovely DR.

Haiti is setting up camps not to welcome their people, but in the plan of creating a refugee mess that like always they will not accept as their own mess. Something that foreign NGOs and govs must deal with.

Haiti never had any intention of providing their own people with documents for this Amnesty from the DR.

The DR will not deport a single person born to Haitian parents prior to 2011. They will be put on a special citizenship track.

Poverty? Dominicans NOT eating because they can't afford so in the country? The DR has been providing for DOMINICANS since a while now to that end. You can be 100% sure these folks claiming to be Dominican families and not eating, are unable to show a Dominican BC to prove it.

It's a lot! When you look at the numbers of Haitians accounted for that have listed their names for the Amnesty and were unable to produce a single document to their benefit from Haiti. You grasp the amount of extreme poor in this sector alone is a big chunk of our population's poverty level.

Dominicans get food, gas and other services with their state issued cards. Haitians can't.

Poorest DOMINICANS DO EAT. Not all of them, but most do.

When the gov allows people to build makeshift homes in the banks of river and streams, or public lands, they set the state to deal not with poverty, but people that are willing to save the rent they would have to pay elsewhere they otherwise would have to, if forced off those places since the first board was put up.

Poverty in the DR is more than just what you think you know or see. Trujillo was perhaps the only leader after Lilis to understand that public land should remain empty of squatters.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Again: not true. Of course there are (many) cases where people earn minimum 'on paper' and more unreported, but the masses that do minimum wage work earn just that: minimum wage.

Wanna buy a bridge for cheap? I'll even throw in the cars for free on the deal!

You are either too naive to anything Dominican, or you really believe what you just posted.

The only persons working for the real minimum wage in the DR are called Haitians.

Don't make a fool of yourself and repeat this orally in front of other people.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
You hired a woman to work cleaning the bathrooms, yet you can say with true certainty she was DOMINICAN? LOL!!

Puerto Plata demographics don't help your case, since the population shift from native Dominicans to Haitians/other foreigners has been out of proportion in relation to other Northern towns.

Extreme poverty in the DR has got a name nowadays: Immigrant Haitians and their direct descendants.

The DR will never end poverty unless it tackles unabated illegal migrants from Haiti. The poorest to walk the Earth today.

The immigration reform and Amnesty is addressing the human side of the issue when it comes to the right thing to do, before acting on border and right of residency by a totally renewed legal/police/border security system.

We know who we are and who Haitians are in this side of our shared island. There's no surprise that 80% and more Dominicans agreed that Haitians born in the DR prior to the highest court verdict on the citizen right issue, must be provided the right to become citizens in most public polls taken. This is because we are not racist, we see them as Dominicans that simply happened to be born to foreigners in the DR. The whole rest that toils about without a piece of paper with their name, born and raised in Haiti is not shared on this opinion.

It's that simple.

The poverty in the DR is directly linked to our historical weakness to enforce border and immigration controls/effective Laws/etc...

The tide has changed and most Dominicans understand that for removing extreme poverty, increasing health, education and jobs security we need to control our border and national identity.

The upgrading of public health facilities, investments into education, police, systems and other priorities, will be reflected on how we take to task enforcing border controls and immigrants in this country.

The Dominican Welfare system is fully in place and will not only benefit the poor families that really needed, but also create a way out of poverty where there was none before.

The Dominican Social Security System has just gotten off the floor.

The Dominican Medicare System is on the up and about.

Being poor will not render people any longer to subpar service and care, nor will it leave families without a roof or a meal for the family to properly provide nutrition to each and all members of said family.

The 911 system needs to know who you are and your background in order to better service you.

All this needs for everyone in the country to be accounted for on entry or exit from the territory.

We already have a single national ID system. All there's left to do is to get everyone into the system and link all the state and private databanks safely.

Poverty in the DR is a byproduct of broken borders and inexistent immigration Laws/enforcement from before.

The DR is an upper middle income country with an acute problem of social-economic mobility. All this relates to having too much supply of workers and little demand from employers due to what sits next door of our border and as of today, inside or it.

This will change drastically. For the better: Both for the native and for the immigrant worker.

Once all is in place the programs seeks to make sure immigrants as well as all natives above a certain age can read and write, have health coverage from birth to death, are not going hungry for lack of income and get a proper education.

People that have a job in the DR and can produce documentation as to who they are, will get their permits.

Poverty levels in the DR will fall by great digits once all these steps are taken and solidified in practice. If you have any doubts I invite you to visit the border today. Where changes can be seen with the naked eyes.

The average farmer in the DR is presently within the poorest sectors of the economy, yet they lack even a savings or any other type of account. Namely they have never been introduced to banks of any sorts in the country. All they know are Bienes Raices and loan sharks. The soil under their feet is theirs and worth enough to state banks to issue them soft credit to improve their plots and income.

Poverty is not unrelated to lack of access to most if not all of financials, save for cash or other tangible on hand.

We will control our borders and who is here to remain/live/work. After that you will see us take to task to reduce poverty to its minimum digits in our lovely DR.

Haiti is setting up camps not to welcome their people, but in the plan of creating a refugee mess that like always they will not accept as their own mess. Something that foreign NGOs and govs must deal with.

Haiti never had any intention of providing their own people with documents for this Amnesty from the DR.

The DR will not deport a single person born to Haitian parents prior to 2011. They will be put on a special citizenship track.

Poverty? Dominicans NOT eating because they can't afford so in the country? The DR has been providing for DOMINICANS since a while now to that end. You can be 100% sure these folks claiming to be Dominican families and not eating, are unable to show a Dominican BC to prove it.

It's a lot! When you look at the numbers of Haitians accounted for that have listed their names for the Amnesty and were unable to produce a single document to their benefit from Haiti. You grasp the amount of extreme poor in this sector alone is a big chunk of our population's poverty level.

Dominicans get food, gas and other services with their state issued cards. Haitians can't.

Poorest DOMINICANS DO EAT. Not all of them, but most do.

When the gov allows people to build makeshift homes in the banks of river and streams, or public lands, they set the state to deal not with poverty, but people that are willing to save the rent they would have to pay elsewhere they otherwise would have to, if forced off those places since the first board was put up.

Poverty in the DR is more than just what you think you know or see. Trujillo was perhaps the only leader after Lilis to understand that public land should remain empty of squatters.

I guess you were replying to the embedded reply I had.
In terms of your post I believe you've shown that Dominicans are incapable of self governance. An outside force should take over and determine what to do with these "resources" that have no logic.
Blaming the Haitians for poverty in the DR??? That's one thing I will give Dominicans credit for all by themselves. Their skills at inefficiency and unproductivity are second to none on this planet.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Bancas thrive in the cities and the campos. The dream of getting rich is just too strong for many people, including the poor, not to take the chance.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In terms of your post I believe you've shown that Dominicans are incapable of self governance. An outside force should take over and determine what to do with these "resources" that have no logic.
Blaming the Haitians for poverty in the DR??? That's one thing I will give Dominicans credit for all by themselves. Their skills at inefficiency and unproductivity are second to none on this planet.

you forgot blaming everything on everybody else.

no es mi culpa.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Bancas thrive in the cities and the campos. The dream of getting rich is just too strong for many people, including the poor, not to take the chance.

All for the chance to blow it all in one day on chicken and rum for everyone at the local Texaco. They'll usually be in debt by day 2 of their lottery winnings, with nothing to show for it.
Who doesn't have that dream.

Aug 6, 2006

=============================================================
The DR is not the best run country in the world, but I doubt that it is the worst. Dominicans are capable of self-governance, but probably not capable of running the country as Americans might run it.Not that Dominicans would actually set this as their goal.
The DR has no Electoral College, and no race riots. Radio has many fewer commercials per hour than in the US. Americans blame illegal immigrants for more problems than they are really responsible for as well.
There is no likelihood that the Dominican Republic will ever invade some far away country false reports that its citizens are likely to be gassed, nuked or infected with weaponized smallpox or anthrax.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The DR has no Electoral College, and no race riots. Radio has many fewer commercials per hour than in the US. Americans blame illegal immigrants for more problems than they are really responsible for as well.

dominicans also blame immigrants fro misfortunes. both haitians and gringos.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
=============================================================
The DR is not the best run country in the world, but I doubt that it is the worst. Dominicans are capable of self-governance, but probably not capable of running the country as Americans might run it.Not that Dominicans would actually set this as their goal.
There is no likelihood that the Dominican Republic will ever invade some far away country false reports that its citizens are likely to be gassed, nuked or infected with weaponized smallpox or anthrax.

Agreed that there is no likelihood of the DR invading some far away country, but that is due to inability not some moral issue. Incompetence reins supreme. As for weaponizing biologics, imagine how that would work out for a Dominican, it would be quite the comedy if not for the tragedy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
God bless the invention of salami with 22% meat content.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Agreed that there is no likelihood of the DR invading some far away country, but that is due to inability not some moral issue. Incompetence reins supreme. As for weaponizing biologics, imagine how that would work out for a Dominican, it would be quite the comedy if not for the tragedy.

fun fact: in 1941 DR declared war on japan and germany.