The really good things about Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My cleaning lady (bless her heart) knew I had a horrible day the other day running around town getting some paperwork taken care of. She was gone by the time I got home but on the dining table was a glass of wine (little plate covering the top) with a note telling me to have good night.

Sep 4, 2012
i love the fact that every time some dreamy eyed chipesque gringo starts a thread about how great DR is he hardly ever gets more than 10 on topic responses.
:devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious::devious:

Says a woman married to a Dominican :)

Sep 4, 2012
Being able to drive to the countryside, the beaches and inter-act with the populace its amazingly pleasant. I love the seafood and being able to get it fresh from the ocean, as much as I need whenever I want to, is priceless.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The simple things: golfing and the cockfights with the fellas,snorkeling in Rio san Juan, flirting with the chicas and not having to worry about being sued for sexual harrasment

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
when the a88hole who parked a huge truck under my window moves it, i will tell you. i live on the second floor of an apartment building, and i have a small balcony. some dirtbag parked his truck in such a way as to completely block the sidewalk, so nobody can use it. better yet, thieves can climb on the top of his vehicle, and get up to my balcony. that is typically Dominican rank and file behavior. he could not care less if someone gets into my apartment, and kills me. all he thinks about is that where he parks it is convenient to HIM. screw the rest of the world. typical mentality.you were asking?
A lil' bit of sugar added to the fuel tank will do wonders for your problem. The truck will move away but will hardly come back to park anytime soon... Brown sugar does the best job!Disclaimer: This is only a joke! OK?

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
But the things that make your heart sing.

A culture that still embraces the value of family and taking care of one another.
The kind and caring nature of people sharing with others despite having very little themselves.
Humility, that allows many to find happiness without materialistic excess.

To name just a few.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Relax! It`s just ONE thread about good things in the D.R.

One thread!!!! Please I started DR1 back in 2011 and I have read at least 5 threads with this very same topic, but with different titles. I am not knocking these type of threads but at least have some NEW MATERIAL. If I see one more post about a Dominican bringing somebody food or soup while they were sick I am going to scream. BTW I know plenty of people that work and go through their regular daily routine in the USA while sick, but in DR a common cold is treated like "pneumonia" If I am home sick in bed I do not want anyone knocking on my door or coming in and out of my home and most people in the USA feel the same way when they are sick as well.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hey Im just curious as I was once again reminded with a sleepless last night (SUNDAY); does that exceptionally nice neighbor, the one that brings chicken soup when your sick, do they also on a bi weekly basis have parties with music, and/or karaoke, loud speakers etc. cranked to decibels that shake the concrete and echos for 1/2 a mile. And on the off nights have their dogs barking endlessly day and night. My question, do these loving neighbors have the intelligence level to understand that this bothers many around them? or is it just this is their true colors and they don't give two ****s about others, only whats makes them happy. I know some will say its the culture (loud music and parties) because they are happy festive people. Sorry that doesn't pass the B****t meter as the reality is, its ME!!!!!! that's important!

Last edited:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
One thread!!!! Please I started DR1 back in 2011 and I have read at least 5 threads with this very same topic, but with different titles. I am not knocking these type of threads but at least have some NEW MATERIAL..

Just 5??? That`s still too little!!! Are you going to bring up Chicago on this thread too?? LOL

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Good things about the D.R.

-No snipers, carbombs or suicide bombers.
-Crazy people who had an unfortunate childhood don`t think they are entitled to go to a public place and kill lots of people.
-If your kid is being bullied, the teachers, principal and sometimes even the bully`s parents will make it stop.
- If you are sick or in trouble, people will help you, even if you didn`t ask for help.

And this post show me only one thing you can be a VERY DARK poster sometimes. The only thing you accomplished in this post was allowing me to understand that A29 can be very DARK at times. If you think for one second bringing up other countries "darkest" moments shines light on the Dominican Republic and living in DR you are sadly mistaken. Okay the DR does not have car bombs, snipers, school bullies, etc. lets all pick up and move there and leave our piece of mind behind. When the DR learns and invest money in basic necessities like water, electricity ,education, 911 service, and the most important empowering it own citizens so they have a say so in the future of DR and not just the people with "deep pockets" Then you can CALL OUT other countries.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
A lil' bit of sugar added to the fuel tank will do wonders for your problem. The truck will move away but will hardly come back to park anytime soon... Brown sugar does the best job!Disclaimer: This is only a joke! OK?

I was thinking how best to translate: "So sorry. In Nueva York, the garbage truck parks under our balconies so we can throw our garbage in it. I thought it was the same way here."

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
When I broke my wrist in the new year, the young guy who chauffeured us around that day (his day off) came back a few days later to check up on me & left his #'s in case we needed him. Also everyone at Playa Caleton would come to see how I was doing while there showing real concern. Also I thought it was great to have DR1ers there to help when need be!

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
And this post show me only one thing you can be a VERY DARK poster sometimes. The only thing you accomplished in this post was allowing me to understand that A29 can be very DARK at times. If you think for one second bringing up other countries "darkest" moments shines light on the Dominican Republic and living in DR you are sadly mistaken. Okay the DR does not have car bombs, snipers, school bullies, etc. lets all pick up and move there and leave our piece of mind behind. When the DR learns and invest money in basic necessities like water, electricity ,education, 911 service, and the most important empowering it own citizens so they have a say so in the future of DR and not just the people with "deep pockets" Then you can CALL OUT other countries.

WOW! Look how easy it is to offend gringos. I didn`t know you were part of the PC police.

Can`t you read? This thread is about good things in the Dom. Rep. YES, I`M happy you can solve a bully situation with just a talk, yes, I`m glad that in the D.R. there are no carbombs and yes, I`m glad crazy people don`t think they can go to public places and just shoot everyone. Yeah that`s how I feel. AND I`M VERY HAPPY ABOUT THAT.

Funny that you critiziced people who posted about their neighbors bringing soup when they`re sick, because that happens everywhere, but you also critizice what I mentioned, which happens in other countries, but not in the D.R.

The problems that you mention that the country has, read my other posts and see that I have already ranted about them ON THE APPROPRIATE THREADS.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
OK. I have to agree with many of the positive things posted here. I subscribe to many if not all of them. However, I feel my life in DR is good in a more integral kind of way. It's not one thing or two. Good things sometimes cancel out with the bad things, so a single great thing is not going to cut it. Therefore, I love my life in DR because of the sum of many little things. For example, right now I have a friend and her family visiting from Norway. I'm trying to be a good tour guide, but they can't wrap their escandinavian minds around life in DR. They seem so shocked at times by small things, but mostly, they seem so boring (and bored) to me. Like they don't really live life, they don't enjoy stuff, or care to laugh at weird things that are so typical of DR. They're much too worried about little things, they are scared sh!tless of traffic or even the little kids that wash windscreens at every corner. In hindsight, I look at them and I feel so grateful that I live in DR and free from all those mental rules and organized way of life that make countries great but terribly boring. I love the fact that I get home every day with something new to talk about, not just that it rained. Life is too short to live in an organized and refined country. Some people here will get what I say, some never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.