The reputation of food in the DR

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I avoid lettuce like the plague , anything that starts eating itself after a couple of days has to be full of bacteria.

this is one of the funniest posts I have ever read..
So you prefer food like Mc Donalds and twinkies which has a shelf Life of 3 years ?

Anything that does not ROT it not real food... and its certainly not as good for you as food that rots when left to the elements of nature.
The only reason you get sick from Lettuce is because the water used to clean it .. it you finished rinsing it with Bottled water ,you would not ever get sick
but that is obviously prohibitive cost wise..
so yes, in the DR best to avoid it unless you know the restaurant very well.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I've only been here for twenty yrs. and coming here 6 yrs. before that so I think I have a pretty good Idea what's good for my stomach and what isn't, and yes my wife did wash it with bottled water, I don't think their was anything she didn't wash ? all I know is that since I stopped eating it I have had fewer stomach problems. Everybody's system is different ,but hey when I need advice on what's best for me I'll be sure to get a hold of you ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've only been here for twenty yrs. and coming here 6 yrs. before that so I think I have a pretty good Idea what's good for my stomach and what isn't, and yes my wife did wash it with bottled water, I don't think their was anything she didn't wash ? all I know is that since I stopped eating it I have had fewer stomach problems. Everybody's system is different ,but hey when I need advice on what's best for me I'll be sure to get a hold of you ?

Absolutely, everyone has an almost identical digestive system but reacts differently to the types of fuel used.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

No offense meant bud..

but Vegetables , unless they are CONTAMINATED ( like with EColi or Fecal Matter) do not contain anything that would cause such problems
And in the DR, it is almost 99 % of the time the WATER they are washed with that is contaminated..but you could get Unlucky and just gotten contaminated lettuce period.
Nature has a way of Filtering impurities out.
Why do you think COW manure is literally used to Fertilize , with no ill effects to humans.

Not making fun of your experience. but i dont see how the Lettuce itself got you sick.. its just not plausible..
Lettuce is Mostly Water, Yes, but its filtered

You ate Contaminated Lettuce, I am 100% convinced of it..
I dont care if the POPE washed it... it was contaminated , imo.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/404161-lettuce-food-poisoning/

but the punchline was that you think that Natural Organic food that ROTS is somehow BAD for you...because it Rots..
lmao
that was just funny,

or at lest I thought you were trying to be funny.

I"ve never seen lettuce in the US turn brown and goowy like it does here ?
And THIS is actually a GOOD Sign.. that no pesticides or other chemicals are sprayed on it..
So its nature doing its thing.

Last edited:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
No offense meant bud..

but Vegetables , unless they are CONTAMINATED ( like with EColi or Fecal Matter) do not contain anything that would cause such problems
And in the DR, it is almost 99 % of the time the WATER they are washed with that is contaminated..but you could get Unlucky and just gotten contaminated lettuce period.
Nature has a way of Filtering impurities out.
Why do you think COW manure is literally used to Fertilize , with no ill effects to humans.

Not making fun of your experience. but i dont see how the Lettuce itself got you sick.. its just not plausible..
Lettuce is Mostly Water, Yes, but its filtered

You ate Contaminated Lettuce, I am 100% convinced of it..
I dont care if the POPE washed it... it was contaminated , imo.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/404161-lettuce-food-poisoning/

but the punchline was that you think that Natural Organic food that ROTS is somehow BAD for you...because it Rots..
lmao
that was just funny,

or at lest I thought you were trying to be funny.

most supermarkets sell produce that has been waxed and/or sprayed with harmful chemicals, possibly concrete sealer or varnish so it looks pretty in your fridge for weeks if not years.

May 29, 2006
Meanwhile at the resort...

13686792_10209394507197140_6594278215151080417_n.jpg

How to lose two stars on your review..

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Getting a customer top priority, giving good customer service to keep you coming back has no importance. Why? you already paid and I spent your money. Thats the DR way sadly!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
this is a perfect example how ONE Idiot in the Kitchen, who is given a simple task of slicing some cheese and refilling the Tray can ruin the Reputation of the entire Kitchen, and thereby the entire Resort.
Not does he not even ROTATE the cheese, cuz that would probably have worked if the turnover is high enough.. NO, he simple uses the old cheese as Backing, and puts the new cheese
in the front,. cuz why do the extra 30 seconds of work.
Dominican Logic , right here on a cheese tray.. and why these people have to be watched like Hawks.

May 29, 2006
Sirenis...

There has to be a kitchen manager who can check such things.

Whoever is running food service is either incompetent or has their hands tied. They ran out of plates and other service ware at two of the three meals. The steam tables have no water baths and food boils. I used to work in industrial kitchens and most problems could be fixed for free and save a lot of money. If you have logos on your plates, you better have plenty of spares.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Peter,
Since you were in the business.
Which are your Favorite AI's ..
if you could LIST a few of them ? .. in terms of Cleanliness and Food Quality & value ..
thanks for your insight and expertise.

May 29, 2006
I've only stayed at Sirenis and Barcelo.

I cooked at Cornell for about a year(and another college twice) doing service for 1500 per meal. They would put any AI to shame. We had six or seven service stations and a salad bar of over 100 items. I worked the pasta/pizza station and that served 400-500 students alone most nights with a real brick oven that could cook eight pizzzas every ten minutes. A mongolian grill would be great here.

I never saw a chef with a thermometer in their jacket here. That's a bad sign.

May 29, 2006
I hear a kitchen manager can make 80,000- 100,000 pesos a month. I'd consider it except the commute from Higuey would kill me, and it's prob 80 hours a week. It has much more to do with walking around than actual cooking. A quick video pass of every meal of the buffet every half hour would be a good start.. To quote Herman Wouk, an industrial kitchen is "An organization designed by geniuses to be run by idiots.."

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I've been asked to contribute to a social media site in the US about Dominican food. I'm sort of at a loss.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I've been asked to contribute to a social media site in the US about Dominican food. I'm sort of at a loss.

An earlier post in this thread suggested that Dominicans only use salt and garlic to add flavor to their food. My experience is the opposite and if you take out the excessive salt issue their is plenty of herbs and spices used in flavorful home country cooking and in the campo and the cities.

I had a desire to respond to that post but chose not to and so now can post two links which might help you in your contribution above.

http://www.dominicancooking.com/5819-herbs-used-in-dominican-cooking.html

http://www.dominicancooking.com/1011-the-dominican-cook-spice-rack.html

I could list more and the gardens of herbs you find behind wooden shacks in deepest campo would surprise many.